Can a Person Throw a Ball 80 Yards in a Building with 12ft Ceilings?

• Thread starter Wetdog33
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, the conversation revolves around the question of whether a person can throw a ball 80 yards in a building with 12ft tall ceilings and a 6ft high release point, without hitting the ceiling or floor. To answer this, factors such as air resistance and ball texture must be considered. A comparison is made to the distance traveled by baseballs in professional games. The solution to this problem involves equating the time required for the ball to go up 6 feet and fall 12 feet to the time required to traverse 80 yards. A speed of 160 ft/s or 110 mph is required for the ball to hit the wall on the other end of the hallway on the fly.
Wetdog33
Hey guys

Im new to the forum, At work we are having a debate, I have attached the drawing to help explain the circumstance. The question is can a person throw a ball 80 yards in a building with 12ft tall ceilings with a 6ft high release point and have the ball hit the wall on the other end of the hallway without hitting the ceiling or floor, the ball must hit the wall on the fly. The only way i can see to answer the question is to see how fast you must throw the ball to make it happen. Then we could decide if a person could make the throw.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as this debate has been going on for a few weeks now and has gotten no where.

Thanks

Attachments

• ball.pdf
    8.8 KB · Views: 204
Physics news on Phys.org
Wetdog33 said:
Hey guys

Im new to the forum, At work we are having a debate, I have attached the drawing to help explain the circumstance. The question is can a person throw a ball 80 yards in a building with 12ft tall ceilings with a 6ft high release point and have the ball hit the wall on the other end of the hallway without hitting the ceiling or floor, the ball must hit the wall on the fly. The only way i can see to answer the question is to see how fast you must throw the ball to make it happen. Then we could decide if a person could make the throw.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as this debate has been going on for a few weeks now and has gotten no where.

Thanks

To make this work, you need to include air resistance and the texture of the ball. It would probably be easier to just look at how baseballs travel in a pro game. What's the distance from 3rd base to 1st base? Good 3rd basemen's throws definitely don't arc up to 12 feet. The backspin on a baseball significantly decreases its drop during flight.

EDIT -- I guess for the 80 yards, you'd have to look more at a center fielder throwing home?

This is a decent kinematics problem for a test...

The easy way to solve it is to equate the time required for the ball to go up 6 feet (the maximal rise) and fall 12 feet to the time required to traverse 80 yards. I got a speed of 160 ft/s (about 50 m/s) is required: 110 mph.

Related to Can a Person Throw a Ball 80 Yards in a Building with 12ft Ceilings?

1. How can I effectively solve a work debate?

The first step to solving a work debate is to listen to both sides of the argument and understand their perspective. Then, gather all the necessary information and facts related to the topic. It is also important to remain calm and professional during the discussion and avoid personal attacks. Finally, try to find a compromise or a solution that addresses the concerns of both parties.

2. What should I do if I am unable to come to a resolution with my colleague?

If you are unable to reach a resolution with your colleague, it may be helpful to involve a neutral third party, such as a manager or HR representative. They can provide an unbiased perspective and help facilitate a productive discussion to find a resolution.

3. How can I prevent work debates from becoming personal?

To prevent work debates from becoming personal, it is important to focus on the issue at hand rather than attacking the person. Stick to discussing facts and avoid making assumptions or accusations. It may also be helpful to set ground rules for the discussion to ensure that it remains respectful and professional.

4. Is it okay to seek outside help to solve a work debate?

Yes, seeking outside help to solve a work debate is acceptable and can often be beneficial. This could include involving a manager, HR representative, or a professional mediator. These individuals can provide an objective perspective and help guide the discussion towards a resolution.

5. How can I ensure a productive and respectful discussion when solving a work debate?

To ensure a productive and respectful discussion, it is important to establish clear communication and actively listen to each other's viewpoints. Avoid interrupting or talking over each other and instead, take turns speaking. It may also be helpful to use "I" statements and focus on finding a solution rather than proving someone wrong.