Can a power ribbon be spliced together?

• Thread starter ppppparker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power
In summary, while replacing the hard drive on an HP notebook, the speaker accidentally broke a ribbon connector that connected to the power connector. This has caused confusion as there are multiple metal strips under the plastic sheath, making it difficult to repair. It may be easier to just replace the cable, which costs around $10, rather than trying to fix it.
ppppparker
i was taking apart HP notebook to replace HD and when I was pulling the housing for the keybaord up I didnt notice this ribbon connector thing that was threaded through the housing. It snapped apart. It connected straight to the power connector. I don't understand how ribbons work but it looks like that it would be impossible to put back together because there are 4 or 5 strips of metal underneath the plastic sheath..so i guess you have to just replace it (?) .. But is this right? Is there a way to repair it? thanks
(I can post a pic if this explains the prob better)

Computer science news on Phys.org
Which is easier to replace? A $5 busted cable, or a $500 fried notebook?

It depends on what material the cable is made out of. If it is a copper flex circuit the the answer is with great difficulty. If it a conductive ink type then it is pretty much impossible to fix it. Either way replacement is the best answer.

BoB

ive since looked it up and its about $10 replacement so i guess its not worth it to even try to fix.
thanks for the answers though.

FAQ: Can a power ribbon be spliced together?

1. Can a power ribbon be spliced together?

Yes, a power ribbon can be spliced together. Splicing is a process of connecting two or more ribbons together to create a longer ribbon.

2. What is the purpose of splicing a power ribbon?

Splicing allows for the creation of longer power ribbons, which are used for various purposes such as connecting different components or extending the reach of a power source.

3. Is it difficult to splice a power ribbon?

Splicing a power ribbon can be a delicate process and requires some specialized tools and techniques. It is important to follow proper procedures to ensure a secure and reliable connection.

4. What are the risks of splicing a power ribbon?

The main risk of splicing a power ribbon is the potential for electrical failure or malfunction if the splicing is not done correctly. This can result in damage to equipment or even electrical hazards.

5. Are there any alternatives to splicing a power ribbon?

Depending on the situation, there may be alternatives to splicing a power ribbon, such as using a longer ribbon or using a different type of connector. It is important to consult with a professional to determine the best solution for your specific needs.