Can a powerful telescope reveal the true limits of the universe's distance?

In summary, Ragazzoni et al. 2003 suggests that there could be a loss of phase information when photons pass through the quantum foam. However, this effect is only noticable over very large distances and does not seem to be a problem with the fundamental aspect of quantum theory as of yet.
Spin_Network
If I look down into the Quantum Realm, things start to get "fuzzy", I cannot focus with clarity the objects I am observing, this is according to Quantum Approximations.

If I use a powerfull Telescope, such as a new generation "Hubble Lens?", will I see the farthest objects with more or less clarity?

If I scale both process to a calibrated distance, one for the Quantum limit of fuzzyness from an experimental measure apperatus, and then perform the same calibrated exersize on a Macro measure Apperatus, then if the Laws of Nature are independant of scale, it should produce a macro scale that I cannot observe with any clarity?

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/quantum_bits_030402.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
The basic gist of this article is that some authors of theories of quantum gravity had been speculating that there would be loss of phase information as photons passed through the quantum foam. This effect would only be noticable over very large distances, but some people expected to see it in the HST high-z images. Although the article seems to suggest that it's a problem with a "fundamental aspect of quantum theory", I wouldn't be throwing away your QM textbooks just yet. The accompanying paper (at least, my best guess to it) can be found here:

Ragazzoni et al. 2003

It seems to indicate that the phenomenon was only predicted by some theories of quantum gravity, all of which fall into the highly speculative regime at the moment. That, coupled with the fact that the article only has eight citations, would lead me to suggest caution in one's interpretation of the accompanying popular article.

SpaceTiger said:
The basic gist of this article is that some authors of theories of quantum gravity had been speculating that there would be loss of phase information as photons passed through the quantum foam. This effect would only be noticable over very large distances, but some people expected to see it in the HST high-z images. Although the article seems to suggest that it's a problem with a "fundamental aspect of quantum theory", I wouldn't be throwing away your QM textbooks just yet. The accompanying paper (at least, my best guess to it) can be found here:

Ragazzoni et al. 2003

It seems to indicate that the phenomenon was only predicted by some theories of quantum gravity, all of which fall into the highly speculative regime at the moment. That, coupled with the fact that the article only has eight citations, would lead me to suggest caution in one's interpretation of the accompanying popular article.

Thanks ST, I am just curious for something I am struggling with at the moment, whilst I asked myself the question posted here, I found the above link, so it seems to have been asked before.

My initial query was in part, to do with the 'far-off' Luminocity Function, but again thanks for the clarity in you reply.

Agreed, don't toss those QT books just yet. It works well in the big picture. So does GR. It's just a matter of scale at the moment. Unification may be staring us in the face. I really like Smolin's [and a few others] approach... Hey, if we all put our heads together [and differences aside], we might come up with a really good idea!

Last edited:

Related to Can a powerful telescope reveal the true limits of the universe's distance?

1. Can a powerful telescope see the edge of the universe?

No, a powerful telescope cannot see the edge of the universe. The universe is thought to be infinite, so there is no edge to see. Additionally, the expansion of the universe means that any light from the edge would have taken an infinite amount of time to reach us, making it impossible to see.

2. How far can a powerful telescope see in the universe?

A powerful telescope can see objects that are billions of light years away in the observable universe. However, the universe is continuously expanding, so there are likely objects beyond the reach of even the most powerful telescopes.

3. Can a powerful telescope see the beginning of the universe?

No, a powerful telescope cannot see the beginning of the universe. The light from the Big Bang, which is thought to be the beginning of the universe, has been stretched and scattered over time, making it impossible to see with current technology.

4. Can a powerful telescope see other universes?

No, a powerful telescope cannot see other universes. The concept of multiple universes is still a theoretical concept and there is no evidence to suggest that we can observe them with telescopes.

5. Can a powerful telescope reveal the true limits of the universe's distance?

While a powerful telescope can reveal objects that are incredibly far away, it is not possible to determine the exact limits of the universe's distance. The universe is constantly expanding and our technology is limited, so we may never know the true extent of the universe's size.