Can a recurrence relation be proven using induction?

In summary, the homework statement proves that if s_k <= 2s_{k-2}+3 for all ints k >= 3, then s_k <= 2+3.
toothpaste666

Homework Statement

prove that
[itex] s_k <= 2s_{k-2}+3 [/itex]
for all ints k >= 3
if s1=1 and s2 = 3 and s2=5 and s4=9

The Attempt at a Solution

base case k = 3
[itex] s_3 <= 2s_1 + 3 [/itex]
5 <= 2+3
that is true. Now i must prove the inductive step. This is where I am having trouble.
I assume that [itex] s_k <= 2s_{k-2}+3 [/itex]
and must prove that
[itex] s_{k+1} <= 2s_{k-1}+3 [/itex]
if i call m = k+1
then k-1 = m-2 and we have
[itex] s_m <= 2s_{m-2}+3 [/itex]
I am kinda confused though and I don't know if that proves something I didnt already know

Physics news on Phys.org
Your question makes no sense. The sequence has not been defined.

It is supposed to be a tower of hanoi problem with 4 poles instead of 3 and k is the number of disks and sk is the number of moves it takes to move those disks

toothpaste666 said:
It is supposed to be a tower of hanoi problem with 4 poles instead of 3 and k is the number of disks and sk is the number of moves it takes to move those disks
In that case you need to think up some reasonable algorithm for moving k disks, based on two sequences of moving k-2 disks.

haruspex said:
In that case you need to think up some reasonable algorithm for moving k disks, based on two sequences of moving k-2 disks.
should I use induction or was i heading in the wrong direction?

or should I find an exact reccurence relation and prove it is less than the one they give me?

I say the latter route, Solve moving 2 disks, 4 disks, 6 disks, 8 disks and note the algorithm that solves the problem in the fewest moves each time to see the relation of that series. Then solve for moving 1 disk, 3 disks, 5 disks, 7 disks etc and note that relation. In the end the relations may or may not be favorable to a proof by induction.

toothpaste666 said:
should I use induction or was i heading in the wrong direction?
or should I find an exact reccurence relation and prove it is less than the one they give me?
Not sure what distinction you're making. Yes, you need to use induction, but it's a matter of finding a recursive algorithm, not of playing with the algebra. It will give you an exact recurrence relation for your algorithm. It won't prove that your algorithm is the best, but it will prove the inequality required.
Do you know the recursive algorithm for the three pole case? What you need here is a very simple extension of it.

I know the 3 pole case is
[itex] s_k = 2s_{k-1} +1 [/itex]
but the derivation of this in the book was confusing to me

I think I get where the induction comes in. I must find a recurrence relation for the 4 pole case and then use induction to prove it is always less than or equal to the inequality they give me.

I am confused. It seems to me that
[itex] s_k = 2s_{k-2} +3 [/itex]
can I say that because it is = to that for all k then it is also <= ?

I am sorry guys. I was horribly confused which made me describe the problem incorrectly. In this question sk is the MINIMUM number of moves. I know that it can be done in
[itex] 2s_{k-2} + 3 [/itex]
moves for all k>=3. Then it follows that the minimum number of moves it can be done in is either that or less than that. Is this an adequate proof?

toothpaste666 said:
I am sorry guys. I was horribly confused which made me describe the problem incorrectly. In this question sk is the MINIMUM number of moves. I know that it can be done in
[itex] 2s_{k-2} + 3 [/itex]
moves for all k>=3. Then it follows that the minimum number of moves it can be done in is either that or less than that. Is this an adequate proof?
Yes, I understood it was defined to be the minimum.
And yes, if you can show that if k-2 can be moved in n steps then k can be moved in 2n+3 steps it follows that k can be moved in [itex] 2s_{k-2} + 3 [/itex] steps, and thence that [itex] s_k <= 2s_{k-2} + 3 [/itex].

I think the recusive algorithm is based on the fact that it takes Sk-2 steps to move k-2 discs to one pole then you have 2 free poles to move the remaining 2 discs. But you also have to prove that this is the minumum possible number of moves i.e. that Sk >= 2*(Sk-2) + 3 !

Last edited:
OlderOwl said:
I think the recusive algorithm is based on the fact that it takes Sk-2 steps to move k-2 discs to one pole then you have 2 free poles to move the remaining 2 discs.
I presumed from post #12 that toothpaste already figured that out.
OlderOwl said:
But you also have to prove that this is the minumum possible number of moves i.e. that Sk >= 2*(Sk-2) + 3 !
The question does not require that. The algorithm shows that moving k can be done in 2*(Sk-2) + 3 moves, where Sk-2 is defined to be the minimum number required for k-2 discs. Note that we do not know and do not care what Sk-2 is numerically. It follows that Sk <= 2*Sk-2+3.

Related to Can a recurrence relation be proven using induction?

What is a recurrence relation proof?

A recurrence relation proof is a mathematical technique used to prove the correctness of a recursive algorithm or function. It involves expressing the solution of a problem in terms of smaller subproblems and showing that the solution to the original problem can be derived from the solutions of the smaller subproblems.

Why are recurrence relation proofs important?

Recurrence relation proofs are important because they provide a rigorous and systematic way to analyze the time and space complexity of recursive algorithms. They also help in understanding the behavior of these algorithms and identifying any potential issues or inefficiencies.

What are the key elements of a recurrence relation proof?

The key elements of a recurrence relation proof include the base case, which provides the initial solution to the problem, and the recurrence relation, which describes how the solution to the original problem can be obtained from the solutions of the smaller subproblems. Additionally, the proof should also include a clear explanation of how the base case and recurrence relation lead to the desired solution.

How do you determine the time complexity of a recursive algorithm using recurrence relation proofs?

To determine the time complexity of a recursive algorithm using recurrence relation proofs, you need to analyze the number of recursive calls and the amount of work done in each call. This can be represented as a recurrence relation, and then you can use techniques such as substitution or the master theorem to solve for the time complexity.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when writing a recurrence relation proof?

Some common mistakes to avoid when writing a recurrence relation proof include not clearly defining the base case and recurrence relation, not considering all possible cases, and not providing sufficient explanation or justification for each step of the proof. It is also important to double-check the calculations and make sure they are correct.