Can a Room Get Warmer Than the Air Being Pumped In?

• Thread starter kenyanscorpio
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary, a wood boiler can heat water to 155°F and maintain it, and a fully insulated "kiln" room with a heat exchanger can reach temperatures higher than the air being pumped in. However, energy naturally flows from hot to cold, so using air at a lower temperature will not make the room warmer. A heat pump may be able to extract energy from air at a lower temperature to heat the room, but it may not be economical for this specific application. Recovering waste heat from the kiln may be a more efficient option for heating a house or office.
kenyanscorpio
°Hi all,
It has been many years since I was in school, so my phisics is very rusty.

I have a wood boiler that was made for me, that burns my access waist wood. The boiler gets my water to 155°, and maintains it.

I have a "kiln" room that is fully insulated, no windows, insulated doors and a heat exchanger in the room.

I need to get the internal temperature of the wood, Oak, to 175° to ensure it is dry and down to around 6% humiditey.

I was told that a room can get warmer then the air being pumped in. Is this corect? If it is, any idea what temp the room can get.

If this is not correct, any idea how to calculate the water temp required to get to 175°?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I can't seem to find an answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, wood will 'dry' below 175 degrees. At 175 degrees it would typically take some length of time; at 155 degrees, for example, it would take longer; at 120 degrees, even longer. It would even eventually dry at 32 degrees F...via evaporation of any ice...

If your heated water is 155 degrees, no further heat transfer will occur from the hot water to the room air when the room air reaches that temperature. The air cannot become warmer than the temperature of your heat source...water,air, or whatever. So you need water at 175 degrees of higher to meet you stated objective of 175 degrees room air.

I was told that a room can get warmer then the air being pumped in. Is this corect?

Not in the sense you mean. Energy naturally flows from hot to cold. So if you heated the room to say 165F using electricity and then pumped in air at 155F the air would actually cool the room.

A heat pump is an exception. A heat pump can extract energy from air at say 50F and use it to heat a room to say 71F. However I doubt using a heat pump is economic for your application.

If you were drying wood in a kiln using electricity on a regular basis then it might be worth recovering the waste heat from the kiln and using it to heat your house/office.

FAQ: Can a Room Get Warmer Than the Air Being Pumped In?

1. What is the ideal water temperature for drinking?

The ideal water temperature for drinking is between 50-60 degrees Fahrenheit. This temperature is cool enough to be refreshing, but not too cold that it causes discomfort or shock to the body.

2. Is room temperature water better for hydration than cold water?

Both room temperature and cold water are equally effective for hydration. However, some people may find cold water more refreshing and easier to drink in larger quantities.

3. Can drinking cold water boost my metabolism?

While drinking water of any temperature does temporarily increase metabolism, the effect is very small and not significant enough to make a noticeable difference in weight loss or calorie burning.

4. Is it safe to drink water that has been left at room temperature for a long time?

In general, it is safe to drink water that has been left at room temperature for a few hours. However, if the water has been left out for more than a day, it is best to discard it as bacteria may have grown in the water.

5. How does water temperature affect the taste of coffee or tea?

The temperature of water can greatly affect the taste of coffee or tea. Generally, hotter water (around 200 degrees Fahrenheit) is better for extracting the flavors and aroma from coffee or tea leaves, while lower temperatures (around 160 degrees Fahrenheit) can result in a weaker and less flavorful drink.

Back