Can a Rubber Band Replace a Steel Spring in Measuring Weight?

In summary: This plastic deformation can be permanent, meaning the metal will never return to its original shape. Steel has a large elastic range, meaning it can resist a lot of displacement before it permanently deforms.
OVB
I think I am getting some concepts confused, so i need help clarifying the answers to the following questions:

1. can you use a rubber band instead of a steel spring in a scale to measure weight?
- I said no, because it would break
2. Should the wires supporting a suspension bridge be elastic or inelastic?
- I said elastic so that it can return to its original position, but I don't know how to expand on this...

3. How is a steel wire "very elastic" if it does not stretch much with large forces?
- I am not sure at all about this oneAnd k is independent of gravity right? (i.e., if you have a force and a displacement on earth, would those be in the same proportion on the moon? I'm thinking F/x = k equals a direct proportion but I might be breaking smoe rules).

I spent a good hour before and that is the progress I have made.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
does anyone know?

I explained rather well what I knew and what I didn't. Am I being ignored for something I left out or does no one know?

1. can you use a rubber band instead of a steel spring in a scale to measure weight?
- I said no, because it would break

Well, no is the right answer, but the reasoning is not correct.

1. In order to measure weight, the deflection must be linearly proportional to the weight - that is the point of Hooke's law. Only this way can one obtain a uniformly graduated scale. Steel spring could also be overloaded into the inelastic region, in which case it would be permanently deformed.

A rubber band is non-linear. The cross-section changes as it stretches. One might try and experiment with a suitable rubber band. Load it up with gram weights e.g. 1g, 2g, 3g, . . . and see if the deflection is a constant multiple of the mass.

The spring constant is a property of the metal and independent of gravity. The weight of something is a measure of the gravitational force on the mass - W = mg.

2. If a metal is stressed into the inelastic range, there will be permanent deformation. Structures are designed such the materials in the components operate well below the yield strength, i.e. well within the elastic range. When a structure is loaded then unloaded, as happens when a vehicle crosses a bridge, then the structure must return to its original unloaded form. Bridges are designed to deflect under load, but not by much. Many (or most) structures tend to be very stiff - i.e. resist displacement.

3. If a metal is highly loaded, and still does not stretch (which I take to mean 'permanently deform'), then it has a 'large elastic' range.

When metals are deformed, they are worked beyond the elastic range (yield strength) and they are plastically deformed.

Last edited:

Related to Can a Rubber Band Replace a Steel Spring in Measuring Weight?

What is Hooke's Law?

Hooke's Law is a scientific principle that states the relationship between the force applied to an object and the resulting deformation or displacement of the object. It states that the force applied is directly proportional to the displacement of the object as long as the object remains within its elastic limit.

Who discovered Hooke's Law?

Hooke's Law was first discovered by English scientist Robert Hooke in the 17th century. He observed this relationship while experimenting with springs and elastic materials.

What is the formula for Hooke's Law?

The formula for Hooke's Law is F = -kx, where F is the force applied, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement of the object.

What is the significance of Hooke's Law?

Hooke's Law is significant because it helps us understand the behavior of elastic materials under different forces and how they return to their original shape after the force is removed. It also has many practical applications, such as in the design of springs, shock absorbers, and other mechanical devices.

What are the limitations of Hooke's Law?

Hooke's Law is only applicable to objects that remain within their elastic limit. Once the elastic limit is exceeded, the object will undergo permanent deformation and the relationship between force and displacement will no longer be linear. Additionally, Hooke's Law only applies to certain types of materials and may not accurately describe the behavior of other materials, such as plastic.