Can a solid sympathetically resonate at a harmonic?

In summary: For example, a string with a fundamental of 400 Hz would have 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, etc. harmonics. Solid objects (like a metal wire or a bridge) don't have overtones, they have modes of vibration.
MauriceWaves
Hi everyone, first time post here.

I know (or at least think I know) that strings can sympathetically resonate at harmonic intervals. For example, a string whose fundamental is 400Hz is able to resonate at 800Hz if it's excited by a 800Hz source. Maybe I'm wrong on that as well? heh..

Anyways, what I'm wondering is if being able to resonate at harmonic frequencies is something that is just reserved for strings?

Can a solid steel wire do the same, or can an xylophone key for that matter?

Physics news on Phys.org
They certainly can. Glass isn't a good example (it's not really a solid). Bridges resonate. And your Xylophone too.

Oh, I almost forgot : Hello MW, welcome to PF :smile: !
Have fun here!

Thanks BvU,

I'm guessing that objects are less sensitive to sympathetically resonating at higher harmonics, compared to their fundamental right?

I'm trying to design a musical instrument that has solid 'tines' (these can be made of any material, and any shape) for each note that resonate sypathetically to an audio input. I'm just wondering if I need a tine for every note, or if I can just have a smaller # of tines that are able to also resonate at their 1st, 2nd, 3rd harmonic, etc.

I'm also wondering if there's any way to shape the tines to be more sensitive to resonating at their harmonics.

Sorry, I know this is more of a musical instrument sort of question and not a physics question. But as far as I can find, there's no existing instrument to draw much knowledge from on this subject.

Nidum said:

Perfect, thank you. So the first harmonic's frequency is 6.27 x the fundamental, and the second harmonic is 17.55 x the fundamental. That's definitely not "Musical" in the way strings' harmonic frequencies double the fundamental. Ruh Roh..

The higher modes of vibration of 'real' objects are more correctly called 'overtones' because the frequencies are not harmonics. Some are wildly out ( bells and cymbals) and some are quite near (woodwind and strings).
A Harmonic is an integer multiple of a fundamental frequency.

Related to Can a solid sympathetically resonate at a harmonic?

1. Can you explain the concept of sympathetic resonance?

Sympathetic resonance is a phenomenon where an object starts vibrating at the same frequency as another object that is vibrating nearby. This is due to the transfer of energy between the two objects.

2. How does sympathetic resonance occur in solids?

In solids, sympathetic resonance occurs when the object is placed near another object that is vibrating at a similar frequency. The vibrations from the first object cause the molecules in the second object to vibrate at the same frequency, leading to sympathetic resonance.

3. Can a solid resonate at any frequency?

Yes, a solid can resonate at any frequency as long as it is in contact with another object that is vibrating at the same frequency. However, some solids may have a natural frequency at which they resonate more easily.

4. What is a harmonic frequency?

A harmonic frequency is a multiple of the fundamental frequency of an object. When an object vibrates at a harmonic frequency, it creates a standing wave pattern, which is a stable and repeating pattern of motion.

5. How is sympathetic resonance useful in scientific research?

Sympathetic resonance is useful in scientific research as it allows scientists to study the properties of materials and their natural frequencies. It can also be used to detect hidden cracks or defects in solid objects, such as bridges or buildings.