Can a Spring-Propelled Mass Clear the Gap on a Frictionless Ramp?

• Thread starter mgerman63016
  • Start date
In summary, at the start of the ramp, the mass has a kinetic energy of 4.43 Joules and a potential energy of 5.22 Joules. At the end of the ramp, the mass has a kinetic energy of 2.81 Joules and a potential energy of 9.81 Joules.
mgerman63016
The picture below shows a block of mass 5.22kg held against a spring of spring constant compressed by a distance d = 28.3cm on a frictionless ramp of length . The ramp has an angle of 20°. A distance x = 1.16m separates the ramp from a landing area that is at the same height as the top of the ramp.

http://session.masteringphysics.com/problemAsset/1000182266/40/114-24-1.png

1.If the mass leaves the end of the spring at a speed of 4.43 , what is the spring constant of the spring?
2.If the mass reaches the top of the ramp moving at speed 2.81 , what is the length of the ramp?
Measure the length of the ramp from the starting point (compressed spring) as shown in the picture.
3. Does the mass successfully jump the gap and land on the other side?
I thought I could use W(work) = PEg+KE
but that is as far as I got if someone could walk me through this I would greatly appreciate it I have a final next week on this and I want to make sure I'm doing it right.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What changes in energy (kinetic, potential) occur as the spring goes from compressed to uncompressed? btw, I don't see a value for L. I assume all speeds are in m/s.

L is the frictionless ramp of length and yes the speeds will be in m/s.

the energy in this are well Spring, Kinetic and work. Could Gravitational Energy take place as the box goes up from the spring?

mgerman63016 said:
L is the frictionless ramp of length and yes the speeds will be in m/s.

the energy in this are well Spring, Kinetic and work. Could Gravitational Energy take place as the box goes up from the spring?
Yes, you have to take into account the gain in potential energy. Can you quantify the above changes and thus find the velocity at end of ramp?

to find the velocity could I set up an equation like:

W+PEs=KE

I'm calculating now...hopefully it works

mgerman63016 said:
I set up an equation like: W+PEs=KE
That doesn't look quite right, but maybe it's not what you meant. The sum of the energies is constant. You start with PE in the spring and finish with gravitational PE and KE at top of ramp.

Since there's no Work involved because it is on a frictionless I will use PEs=KE+PEg

FAQ: Can a Spring-Propelled Mass Clear the Gap on a Frictionless Ramp?

1. What is a multi-concepts problem?

A multi-concepts problem is a complex issue or challenge that involves multiple interconnected concepts or ideas. It requires a multidisciplinary approach to understanding and solving it.

2. How do you identify a multi-concepts problem?

A multi-concepts problem can be identified by examining the various factors and variables involved, and recognizing that they are all connected and influence each other. It often requires looking at the problem from different perspectives and disciplines.

3. How do you approach solving a multi-concepts problem?

Solving a multi-concepts problem involves breaking it down into smaller, more manageable parts and analyzing each component separately. Then, the relationships between the different parts can be examined to find potential solutions that address all aspects of the problem.

4. What are the benefits of addressing a multi-concepts problem?

Addressing a multi-concepts problem can lead to more comprehensive and effective solutions. It also encourages collaboration and innovative thinking as multiple disciplines and perspectives are brought together to tackle the problem.

5. Can a multi-concepts problem be solved?

While some multi-concepts problems may not have a clear-cut solution, they can often be managed and mitigated through careful analysis and implementation of strategies. The goal is to find the most optimal solution that takes into account all the interconnected factors involved.

Back