Can a super being create a pure random number generator?

In summary, a super being is someone who is both omniscient and omnipotent, and can choose a number in a process that he himself cannot decipher. However, this same being would not be able to create a random number generator due to the implications of its ability.
jobyts
The only requirement is that the pure random numbers generated have to be purely random to its creator, not for some other inferior species.

(To keep Evo happy, a super being is someone who is omniscient and omnipotent.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Can a being which is omnipotent, hence literally capable of doing anything, choose a number in a process that he himself cannot decipher?

This is just a re-wording of the cook a burrito too hot to eat problem

I think the hot burrito or heavy stone problem is about the contradiction within the omnipotence characteristic. The random number generator is on contradicting the omniscience characteristic.

I wonder if there is one for the omnipresence in a similar line.

Omniscience wouldn't let you generate random numbers, omnipotence would. I guess omniscience is what let's you know what the number is going to be.

On the other hand, even I can guess what random number I'm thinking of

Well if the world is indeterministic, he can.

mr. vodka said:
Well if the world is indeterministic, he can.

Doesn't that assumption preclude the existence of an omniscient being?

I don't think an omniscient being needs to be able to predict the future, just know everything about the present.

CRGreathouse said:
Doesn't that assumption preclude the existence of an omniscient being?

No, the omniscience should be defined in the demain of the "knowable". After all, how would you be sure there are no contradictions in the assumption "a being that knows everything"? Reminds me of "every true theorem is provable". Do you have a notion/definition of what it means to know something without referring to a physical reality? You might propose to define a hypothetical reality by "a reality where everything is knowable" to make room for an omniscient being, but how do you know it makes sense? Would there be a notion of number in such a reality?

Why would an omniscient and omnipotent being need to create a random number generator? That, IMO, is an insult to the O&O.

Last edited:
Evo said:
Why would an omniscient and omnipotent being need to create a random number generator? That, IMO, an insult to the OO.

Maybe they want RSA?

mr. vodka said:
Maybe they want RSA?

How the hell is he supposed to know if the number he comes up with is prime?

Let's try to stick to realistic applications here

Actually, now that I think about it this is a good question. If P is not NP, asking an omniscient being would surely be a polynomial time solution for traveling salesman and therefore it would disprove the existence of an omniscient being

Last edited:
Office_Shredder said:
If P is not NP, asking an omniscient being would surely be a polynomial time solution for traveling salesman and therefore it would disprove the existence of an omniscient being
It wouldn't disprove the being because the being might not be operating by the assumptions of computer science. For example, it could solve the problem in exponential time, but give us the answer in polynomial time by looking into the future to see the answer to it's calculation.

Office_Shredder said:
Actually, now that I think about it this is a good question. If P is not NP, asking an omniscient being would surely be a polynomial time solution for traveling salesman and therefore it would disprove the existence of an omniscient being
Equivocation at its finest. :-p "Polynomial time" for a kind of oracle turing machine is a different class than "Polynomial time" for turing machines.

jobyts said:
The only requirement is that the pure random numbers generated have to be purely random to its creator, not for some other inferior species.

(To keep Evo happy, a super being is someone who is omniscient and omnipotent.)

interesting. to me, it's like asking if the creator can create. a non-random number is based on something that was pre-existing. and this is the way pseudorandom number generators work, with a deterministic algorithm "creating" each new number from the last.

but truly random implies creating something from nothing. like a series of little big bangs. ex nihilo creation.

this is weird. it seems obvious that O&O beings can create from nothing. but would there be undesirable consequences? would each new creation require destruction of the prior one? I'm not sure i want to be in the universe in which this is happening.

FAQ: Can a super being create a pure random number generator?

1. Can a super being truly create a completely random number generator?

While a super being may possess advanced abilities and knowledge, it is unlikely that they could create a truly random number generator. Randomness is a concept that is difficult to define and even more difficult to achieve. Most "random" number generators are actually pseudo-random, meaning they follow a set algorithm and are not truly random.

2. Is a pure random number generator even possible?

It is currently unknown if a pure random number generator is possible. Some scientists believe that true randomness may not exist and that everything follows a predetermined pattern. However, others argue that quantum mechanics allows for true randomness to occur.

3. How would a super being create a pure random number generator?

It is difficult to say how a super being would create a pure random number generator, as their capabilities and methods may be beyond our current understanding. However, it is possible that they may use advanced technologies or tap into the laws of quantum mechanics to achieve pure randomness.

4. What are the implications of a pure random number generator?

A pure random number generator could have significant implications in various fields such as cryptography, gambling, and scientific research. It could potentially provide more secure encryption methods, improve fairness in gambling, and aid in simulations and experiments that require truly random elements.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to a pure random number generator?

One potential drawback of a pure random number generator is that it may be difficult to verify and test for true randomness. Additionally, if a super being were to create such a generator, it could raise ethical concerns about their control and manipulation of random events. It is also possible that a pure random number generator could have unpredictable and chaotic outcomes.