Can all quadratic equations be factorised?

In summary, not all quadratic equations can be factorised into the form (ax+b)(cx+d). The possibility of factorization depends on the values of the coefficients a, b, and c, and the restrictions on the factors q and s. If q and s are allowed to be complex numbers, then all quadratic equations can be factored in this form. However, if q and s must be restricted to real or rational numbers, then certain conditions on the coefficients must be met for factorization to be possible.
Kyoma

Homework Statement

Is it true that all quadratic equations (ax2+bx+c) can be factorised into this form: (ax+b)(cx+d)?

I think so, but I'm not certain.

Physics news on Phys.org
Kyoma said:

Homework Statement

Is it true that all quadratic equations (ax2+bx+c) can be factorised into this form: (ax+b)(cx+d)?

If d is just some arbitrary number and you didn't accidentally duplicate your letters, then no.

Example:

y = x2-2x+1

So a = 1, b = -2, c = 1

So y = (x-1)(x-1)

a, c and d are fine, but you have a -1 instead of b.

Kyoma said:

Homework Statement

As gb7nash said the coefficients a, b, and c, in (ax2+bx+c) are not, in general, the same as those in (ax+b)(cx+d).

So, can (ax2+bx+c) always be factored into the form, (px+q)(rx+s)?
The answer is ... maybe.

If you allow q and s to be complex numbers, then the answer is yes.

If you restrict q and s to be real numbers, then you must have [itex]\sqrt{b^2-4ac}\ge0[/itex]

If q and s must be rational numbers, then you must have [itex]\sqrt{b^2-4ac}[/itex] be a perfect square.​

This all assumes that a, b, and c are rational numbers.

FAQ: Can all quadratic equations be factorised?

1. Can all quadratic equations be factorised?

No, not all quadratic equations can be factorised. Some quadratic equations have irrational or complex roots, which cannot be expressed as factors of integers.

2. How do you know if a quadratic equation can be factorised?

A quadratic equation can be factorised if its discriminant (b^2 - 4ac) is a perfect square. If the discriminant is negative, the equation cannot be factorised.

3. What is the difference between factorising and solving a quadratic equation?

Factorising a quadratic equation means expressing it as a product of two linear factors. Solving a quadratic equation means finding the values of x that make the equation true.

4. Can you factorise a quadratic equation with a negative leading coefficient?

Yes, a quadratic equation with a negative leading coefficient can still be factorised. The factorisation will just include a negative sign.

5. Is there a specific method for factorising quadratic equations?

Yes, there are several methods for factorising quadratic equations, such as using the quadratic formula, completing the square, or using the method of grouping. The best method to use depends on the specific equation.