Can an electron stand in the same place as a proton?

In summary, the atomic orbital refers to the physical region where the electron can be calculated to be present, as defined by the particular mathematical form of the orbital. The picture of 1s orbital suggests that the electron can exist in the same place as the protons, with a non-zero probability in the region where the nucleus is located. However, this does not mean that the electron will always get converted into a neutron when it comes in place of the nucleus. The concept of force, whether it be gravitational or electrical, is not relevant in quantum mechanics and the electron cannot go below the ground state. Additionally, electron capture is possible in some proton-rich nuclei, but not in the hydrogen isotope as it does not have sufficient energy to make a
Godparicle
Moved from general physics forum
The atomic orbital refers to the physical region where the electron can be calculated to be present, as defined by the particular mathematical form of the orbital (the statement is extracted from atomic orbitals-wiki).

The picture of 1s orbital seems to signify that electron can exist in the same place as the protons. Is this the case?

When the distance between proton and electron becomes 0, the gravitational force becomes ∞(considering limits). So, for the electron to escape from the proton, electron needs to have high velocity nearly ∞, which means temperature to be ∞. I don't think we have ever observed such a situation where we have a chunk of matter with ∞ temperature. This condition doesn't seem to allow electron to stand in place of proton, but the QM (if I am not wrong) says it is possible.

What do you say, is it possible for the ghostly electron to stand in the same place as the proton?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Godparicle said:
The picture of 1s orbital seems to signify that electron can exist in the same place as the protons. Is this the case?
Yes. The probability is non-zero in the region where the nucleus is located.

Likes Godparicle
DaleSpam said:
Yes. The probability is non-zero in the region where the nucleus is located.

Ok. Proceed.

DaleSpam said:
The probability is non-zero in the region where the nucleus is located.

And this is what enables the nuclear decay process called electron capture (a close relative of beta- and beta+ decay) to occur.

Godparicle said:
When the distance between proton and electron becomes 0, the gravitational force becomes ∞(considering limits).

You're trying to combine a classical description of gravity with the quantum-mechanical picture of the electron, which is problematical.

Also note that even in a classical picture, the gravitational force between electron and nucleus is always much smaller than the electrical force between them, no matter how close together they are. This suggests that gravitational effects ought to be negligible in the quantum picture also, except maybe at extremely high energies. So far as I know, we haven't yet observed anything that requires "quantum gravity" effects in situations like this.

Last edited:
Godparicle said:
Ok. Proceed.
There isn't really much to proceed with. The probability is non-zero. The classical concept of force is not terribly relevant in QM, and the electron cannot go below the ground state.

jtbell said:
And this is what enables the nuclear decay process called electron capture (a close relative of beta- and beta+ decay) to occur.
I read the wiki page on electron capture. Here is a sentence from it - "Electron capture is a process in which a proton-rich nuclide absorbs an inner atomic electron, thereby changing a nuclear proton to a neutron and simultaneously causing the emission of anelectron neutrino."

The wiki quote assumes the process to occur in the proton-rich nuclide. In #9 of this thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/why-dont-hydrogen-atoms-neutron-neutrino.23830/, Janitor claims that electron capture doesn't work for hydrogen isotope. Even though it is not clear me, whether it is the rarest for hydrogen isotope or it is not possible for ever, it has left me in confusion to accept your above quote.

You're trying to combine a classical description of gravity with the quantum-mechanical picture of the electron, which is problematical.

Also note that even in a classical picture, the gravitational force between electron and nucleus is always much smaller than the electrical force between them, no matter how close together they are. This suggests that gravitational effects ought to be negligible in the quantum picture also, except maybe at extremely high energies. So far as I know, we haven't yet observed anything that requires "quantum gravity" effects in situations like this.

If it is true that electron has some probability to be inside nucleus or inside proton or inside quarks, then the gravitational force will become infinity according to Newton's equation. The gravitational force will not be negligible.

Godparicle said:
The wiki quote assumes the process to occur in the proton-rich nuclide. In #9 of this thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/why-dont-hydrogen-atoms-neutron-neutrino.23830/, Janitor claims that electron capture doesn't work for hydrogen isotope. Even though it is not clear me, whether it is the rarest for hydrogen isotope or it is not possible for ever, it has left me in confusion to accept your above quote.
It is possible in some proton-rich nuclei. Hydrogen is not one of them, it cannot occur there. A neutron is too heavy, an isolated proton plus a bound electron (=hydrogen) do not have enough energy to make one.

If it is true that electron has some probability to be inside nucleus or inside proton or inside quarks, then the gravitational force will become infinity according to Newton's equation. The gravitational force will not be negligible.
Again, you cannot use classical equations here. The probability for a particle to be at a single specific point is always zero anyway.

I didn't intend to imply that electron capture is possible for hydrogen. The masses of the nuclides before and after the capture process have to be such that energy can be conserved.

[added: mfb beat me to it]

Godparicle said:
First, quantum mechanics doesn't work that way. As I said before, the classical concept of force is essentially irrelevant for quantum mechanics. What is important in QM is the potential and the state. The potential does have a sharp bend at r=0, which is what corresponds to an infinite force for a classical potential, but the quantum state cannot go below the ground state despite that fact.

Second, forget gravity, it is many orders of magnitude smaller than the Coulomb potential which also becomes infinite at r=0.

mfb said:
It is possible in some proton-rich nuclei. Hydrogen is not one of them, it cannot occur there. A neutron is too heavy, an isolated proton plus a bound electron (=hydrogen) do not have enough energy to make one.

So, electron doesn't always gets converted into neutron when it comes in place of nucleus. Is this the case?
Although, this doesn't relate to my original question, I like to know this.

mfb said:
Again, you cannot use classical equations here.

Ok. I read the page Strong gravitational constant-wikiversity. (link: http://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Strong_gravitational_constant) Here is the statement from that page:
"The strong gravitational constant, denoted
b9694822758071c2c2606b27923d67dd.png
or [PLAIN]http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/7/3/b/73bba714fbb01bb916d9690c91c73a06.png, is a grand unified physical constant of strong gravitation, involved in the calculation of the gravitational attraction at the level of elementary particles and atoms.

According to http://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Isaac_Newton's law of universal gravitation, the force of gravitational attraction between two massive points with masses
2e11d76158621f287e365771a2fd7e3c.png
and [PLAIN]http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/4/8/a/48af40241cac88e3498c04f6dc267cd0.png, located at a distance http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/5/a/4/5a4d81b4f7d3b2207410b3ba0c12c029.png between them, is:

3cce8957eb60e83050b9829d4ba3a0b3.png

The coefficient of proportionality
38095d7551fe74050a17bf72793a3890.png
in this expression is called gravitational constant. It is assumed, that in contrast to the usual force of gravity, at the level of elementary particles acts strong gravitation. In order to describe it
38095d7551fe74050a17bf72793a3890.png
in the formula for gravitational force must be replaced on [PLAIN]http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/6/b/9/6b9169c1fcbff554de21c771cb6d851d.png:

58be6e2903a4c8a889e97d9b451d3269.png
"

I hope that the above equation can be used here. Even here gravitational force becomes infinity at r=0.

Last edited by a moderator:
Godparicle said:
So, electron doesn't always gets converted into neutron when it comes in place of nucleus. Is this the case?
An electron never gets converted to a neutron. "Electron+proton" don't always form a neutron, yes. Actually, this is quite an unusual process and requires very special conditions.

Ok. I read the page Strong gravitational constant-wikiversity. (link: http://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Strong_gravitational_constant)
Keep in mind this is a purely hypothetical concept. There is no single measurement indicating that this concept is true.

I hope that the above equation can be used here. Even here gravitational force becomes infinity at r=0.
Again not in the classical way. You have to consider quantum mechanics, and then nothing is infinite.

Godparicle said:
Even here gravitational force becomes infinity at r=0.
The classical concept of force is irrelevant in QM.

Since you persist in ignoring this, the thread is closed.

Godparicle said:
Ok. I read the page Strong gravitational constant-wikiversity. (link: http://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Strong_gravitational_constant) Here is the statement from that page:

Please remember the PhysicsForums policy about acceptable sources. A pretty good rule of thumb is that if something in a disallowed source leaves you confused, perplexed, or disagreeing with what a PF science advisor is trying to tell you... Chances are that the problem is with the disallowed source.

Here the problem is that your source has failed to mention that this "strong gravity" concept was proposed more than fifty years ago, and although it was a good idea it has proved to be a dead end. Furthermore, to properly apply it you still have to use the methods of quantum mechanics; the analogy to classical gravity doesn't work the way that article might lead you to think.

Likes Godparicle

Related to Can an electron stand in the same place as a proton?

1. Can an electron and proton occupy the same space simultaneously?

No, according to the Pauli exclusion principle, no two particles with half-integer spin can occupy the same quantum state in the same system at the same time. Since both electrons and protons have half-integer spin, they cannot occupy the same space simultaneously.

2. Why can't an electron and proton occupy the same space?

The Pauli exclusion principle states that no two particles with half-integer spin can occupy the same quantum state in the same system at the same time. This is due to the fundamental nature of quantum mechanics and the behavior of subatomic particles.

3. Is it possible for an electron and proton to be in close proximity?

Yes, it is possible for an electron and proton to be in close proximity to each other, but they cannot occupy the same space. They may interact with each other through electromagnetic forces, but they will always maintain a distance due to the Pauli exclusion principle.

4. Can an electron and proton have the same energy level?

No, the energy levels of electrons and protons are determined by their quantum states, and since they cannot have the same quantum state, they cannot have the same energy level. Additionally, the energy levels of protons are significantly higher than those of electrons.

5. What happens when an electron and proton collide?

When an electron and proton collide, they can interact with each other through electromagnetic forces. However, they will not merge or combine into one particle. They will simply scatter off of each other and continue to exist as separate particles.