Can an orbital have both electrons and positrons?

In summary: So again, there's a lot of wavefunction overlap, and again, the positron and electrons will annihilate quickly.This doesn't work for any other system with more than two particles because there are too many orbitals for the wavefunction overlap to be significant.
TheCanadian
Can there be a stable nucleus where one has both electrons and antielectrons (either paired or unpaired) in the atomic orbitals? For example, in a ##\beta ^+## decay, could the antielectron released by captured by the atom and remain in orbit as an electron may?

Physics news on Phys.org
Think ! For an orbit the least you need is an attractive potential !

BvU said:
Think ! For an orbit the least you need is an attractive potential !

Yes, could not the anti electron occupy an outer shell (which is unoccupied), and thus depending on the number of protons in the nuclei versus closer electrons in the orbitals (which is attractive), these could be competing forces. I am wondering if such a scenario has been observed or if other plausible scenarios exist.

Ah, I get the idea. The remains after a ##\beta^+## is negative and that would provide an attractive potential ?
However, as a rule, the remains eject an electron to return to neutral.

In ##\beta^+## decay the kinetic energy of the e+ is a lot higher than the binding energy from a diffuse and unstable cloud with net charge 1e-

But if a negative ion and a positron came together, I guess it should be possible for them to form a bond, at least temporarily.

No. They annihilate. See first sheet here

They only have some probability of annihilating. If you can have things like positronium or even crazier things like di-positronium, I see no reason why you couldn't have this, albeit for a short time.

Likes TheCanadian
I'm no QED expert but I suppose you can calculate probabilities. But annihilation should score 'rather' high...
@vela @Orodruin : Was my first answer overhasty ?

This hinges on the definition of "stable". I would say that this exotic atom is stable if a) it is neutral, and b) its lifetime in its ground state is long - say one second. Using that definition, the answer is "no".

The simplest system that satisfies a) is a positron orbiting an H- ion. An H- ion has a radius almost the same size (just a tiny bit larger than) as an H atom, and the radius of an atom formed by a positron orbiting a -1 charge object is the same as an H atom. So essentially the two electrons and the positrons will be in the same orbitals, and will therefore have substantial wavefunction overlap. That means they will annihilate quickly - on positronium-like time scales: nanoseconds.

This argument extends to Z+1 electrons and one positron orbiting a nucleus of charge Z: if you're in the ground state, the positron's S-wave wavefunction overlaps substantially with all the electrons in an S-wave.

Likes rumborak

Related to Can an orbital have both electrons and positrons?

1. Can an orbital have both electrons and positrons?

Yes, an orbital can have both electrons and positrons, as they are both subatomic particles that can exist in the same space.

2. How do electrons and positrons differ?

Electrons are negatively charged particles that are a fundamental component of atoms, while positrons are positively charged particles that have the same mass as electrons but have a positive charge.

3. What is the significance of having both electrons and positrons in an orbital?

The presence of both electrons and positrons in an orbital can indicate the presence of antimatter, which is a type of matter composed of particles with opposite charges to those of normal matter.

4. Can electrons and positrons coexist in the same energy level within an orbital?

Yes, electrons and positrons can coexist in the same energy level within an orbital, as they have opposite charges and do not repel each other.

5. How does the presence of both electrons and positrons in an orbital affect the stability of an atom?

The presence of both electrons and positrons in an orbital does not significantly affect the stability of an atom, as they are both subatomic particles that are necessary for the formation of atoms and molecules.