Can Analytic Functions Exhibit These Complex Behaviors?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Markov2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Complex
In summary, the Laurent series of a function $f$ around $z=0$ converges to $f$ if and only if $|z-1|-|z|>R$. There is a theorem which says that for each simply connected open $U$ subset of $\mathbb C$ there exists a function $f\colon U\to D$ which is analytic and bijective.
Markov2
Denote $D=\{z\in\mathbb C:|z|<1\}$

1) Let $\mathcal U\to\mathbb C$ open and $L\subset\mathbb C$ a line. If $f:\mathcal U\to\mathbb C$ is a continuous function which is analytic on all the points $z\in\mathcal U\cap L^c,$ show that $f$ is analytic on $\mathcal U.$

2) Does exist a function $f:\overline D\to\mathbb C$ analytic, bijective and with analytic inverse?

3) Compute the Laurent series of $f(z)=\log\dfrac{z-1}{z+1}$ around $z=0.$ Show where the series converges to $f.$

4) Let $R>0$ and $\Omega=\{z\in\mathbb C:|z-1|-|z|>R\}.$ Does exist an analytic function $f:\mathbb C\to\Omega$ ?

Attempts:

1) No ideas here, what is the key theorem?

2) I think it doesn't, but I don't see a counterexample.

3) I have a problem here, I don't know if $|z|<1$ or $|z|>1,$ which one should I assume? Because I can write $\displaystyle f(z) = \log \left( {1 - \frac{1}{z}} \right) - \log \left( {1 + \frac{1}{z}} \right) = - \sum\limits_{k = 1}^\infty {\frac{1}{k}{{\left( { - \frac{1}{z}} \right)}^k}} + \sum\limits_{k = 1}^\infty {\frac{1}{k}{{\left( {\frac{1}{z}} \right)}^k}} ,$ which converges for $\dfrac1{|z|}<1,$ so that means indeed that $|z|>1,$ does this make sense?

4) Well first some of algebra, we have $|z-1|-|z|=\sqrt{(x-1)^2+y^2}-\sqrt{x^2+y^2}>R,$ this is very, very messy, is there a way to indentify the curve? Because by having that I could conclude that such function exists or doesn't.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
2) Hint: if such a function $f$ exists, its inverse cannot be analytic by Liouville theorem.

Okay so you're looking for a contradiction, but how do you use Liouville to prove it?

Can you please check my attempts or help me with other problems please?

$f^{-1}$ is analytic, since $f^{-1}(z)\in\overline D$ we have $|f^{-1}(z)|\leq 1$ for all $z\in\mathbb C$, so $f^{-1}$ is constant. In particular it cannot be injective, so we got the contradiction.

In fact, there is a theorem of Riemann, which says that for each simply connected open $U$ subset of $\mathbb C$ (i.e. without holes) which is different from $\mathbb C$ we can find $f\colon U\to D$ analytic and bijective.

Very nice, I can get it now.

Can you help me with other problems please?

girdav said:
2) Hint: if such a function $f$ exists, its inverse cannot be analytic by Liouville theorem.

Or you could just use the fact that any such $f$ is a homeomorphism, $\overline{\mathbb{D}}$ is compact, and $\mathbb{C}$ is not.

Can anybody give me a hand for 1) and 4) please? Is my work for 3) correct?

For problem 1) it looks like Morera's Theorem works, but I don't know how to make it, how to do it?

AlexYoucis: in fact I didn't see $f$ was supposed to be defined on $\bar D$; indeed in this case we don't need complex analysis argument but only topological one. But the question is more interesting with $D$ instead of $\bar D$.

Markov: for question 3 you have to specify which branch of logarithm you are using.

For problem 1), it should be $\mathcal U\subset\mathbb C,$ but now I see the problem, isn't it easy? Because $\mathcal U\cap L^c=\mathcal U$ and the conclusion follows.

Could you help me for problem 4)?

Related to Can Analytic Functions Exhibit These Complex Behaviors?

1. What is complexity?

Complexity refers to the level of intricacy and interdependence within a system or phenomenon. It can also refer to the difficulty in understanding or predicting the behavior of a system.

2. What are emergent properties?

Emergent properties are characteristics or behaviors that arise from the interactions of individual components within a complex system. These properties cannot be predicted or observed by looking at the individual components alone.

3. How do scientists study complex systems?

Scientists study complex systems through a variety of methods, including mathematical modeling, computer simulations, and experimental observation. They also use interdisciplinary approaches, combining knowledge and techniques from different fields.

4. Why is complexity important to study?

Studying complexity is important because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of systems that have many interacting components. This can help us solve real-world problems and make more informed decisions.

5. Can complex systems be simplified?

While complex systems cannot be fully simplified, scientists often use reductionist approaches to break them down into smaller, more manageable parts. However, it is important to remember that the interactions between these parts are what give rise to emergent properties and cannot be ignored.

Back