Can any one give me the derivation of this series

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation and convergence of the series X = 1 + 2n + 3n^2 + 4n^3 + ..., with questions regarding the use of MacLauran and Taylor series to find the sum and the conditions for convergence. The conversation also suggests using the method of differences to compute the sum.
dexterdev
Hi PF,

I have 2 doubts :

1. Can anyone give me the derivation of series below :

X = 1 + 2n + 3 n^2 + 4 n^3 + .....

2. I can do this series reverse if the result is given, using Mc'laurin series, but then came doubt regarding derivation of Taylor series. How do we derive Taylor series equation actually.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by "derivation" of a series?
$$X=1+2n+3n^2+4n^3+... = \sum_{i=0}^\infty (i+1)n^i$$
... under what conditions will the sum converge?

The MacLauran series is a special case of the Taylor series.
They work the same way - if you can do one, you can do the other.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taylor_series

If you mean "find the sum", that is typically extremely difficult. I am puzzled by your use of "Taylor's" series to "find the series" from the sum. The Taylors series is a series of functions, not a numerical series as you have here.

dexterdev said:
Hi PF,

I have 2 doubts :

2. I can do this series reverse if the result is given, using Mc'laurin series, but then came doubt regarding derivation of Taylor series. How do we derive Taylor series equation actually.

Simon Bridge said:
What do you mean by "derivation" of a series?
$$X=1+2n+3n^2+4n^3+... = \sum_{i=0}^\infty (i+1)n^i$$
... under what conditions will the sum converge?

The MacLauran series is a special case of the Taylor series.
They work the same way - if you can do one, you can do the other.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taylor_series

HallsofIvy said:
If you mean "find the sum", that is typically extremely difficult. I am puzzled by your use of "Taylor's" series to "find the series" from the sum. The Taylors series is a series of functions, not a numerical series as you have here.

If I'm not mistaken, Dexterdev, you are trying to find a formula for the finite sum of the above-mentioned series? Sure this could be difficult. But just out of curiousity, why would you want to find the formula for this sum?

Vahsek said:
If I'm not mistaken, Dexterdev, you are trying to find a formula for the finite sum of the above-mentioned series? Sure this could be difficult. But just out of curiousity, why would you want to find the formula for this sum?

I want the sum because this is appearing somewhere in engineering (switching theory I believe), my friend asked for the "derivation" of series sum of infinite series.

She has its end result from the textbook ie 1/((1-n)^2) , provided |n|<1

I did the reverse using Taylor series ie from 1/((1-n)^2) , I got back the series. but how to arrive it other way?

dexterdev said:
Hi PF,

I have 2 doubts :

Hints:

What sort of series is ##1 + n + n^2 + n^3 + ...## for ##|n| < 1##?

If you represent the above series as a function of n, say ##S(n)##, what is its derivative ##S'(n)##?

Can you proceed from here?

Another well known way is to compute ##nX(n)## (##X(n)## represents your original series), then figure out what happens when you take ##X(n) - nX(n)## term by term. That's called the method of differences.

Last edited:

FAQ: Can any one give me the derivation of this series

1. What is the purpose of deriving a series?

The purpose of deriving a series is to find a mathematical expression that represents a sequence of numbers or terms. This can help to simplify complex mathematical problems and make them easier to solve.

2. How do you derive a series?

To derive a series, you need to use a specific set of rules and techniques depending on the type of series you are dealing with. These rules involve manipulating the terms of the series and using mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

3. Can you give an example of a series derivation?

One example of a series derivation is finding the sum of an arithmetic series. This involves using the formula Sn = (n/2)(a + l), where n is the number of terms, a is the first term, and l is the last term. By plugging in the values for these variables, you can derive the sum of the series.

4. What are the common mistakes to avoid when deriving a series?

One common mistake when deriving a series is forgetting to include all terms in the series. This can lead to an incorrect answer. Another mistake is not following the correct steps and rules for deriving a specific type of series, which can also result in an incorrect solution.

5. How can deriving a series benefit my understanding of mathematics?

Deriving a series can improve your understanding of mathematics by helping you to identify patterns and relationships between numbers or terms. It also allows you to practice problem-solving skills and logical thinking, which are important in many areas of mathematics and science.