Can Any1 tell me why kienetic energy is equal to both m.v[SUP]2[/SUP] and 1/2

• Thread starter Arslan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, kinetic energy can be calculated using the equations m.v^2 and 1/2 m.v^2. This is proven by the equations E=W=F.d and 2.a.s=Vf2-Vi2. However, if a snooker player hits a ball on a frictionless surface, the work done is zero but energy is transferred to the ball, which is equal to 1/2 mv^2. This can be explained by the concept of impulsive forces, where a large but finite force is exerted for a very small period of time.
Arslan
Can Any1 tell me why kienetic energy is equal to both m.v2 and 1/2 m.v2

E=W=F.d
=m.a.d ......=mgh
=m.(v/t).d
=m.(d/t^2).d
=m.d^2/t^2
=m.v^2
So hence proved K.E= m.v^2

But 2.a.s=Vf2-Vi2 Newton equatio of motion
2.F/m.s=V2......if initial velocity is zero
F.s=1/2 mv2
W=E=1/2 mv2
So hence proved K.E=1/2 m.v^2

Physics news on Phys.org
Please don't double post

Arslan said:
=m.a.d
=m.(v/t).d
[tex]a=\frac{dv}{dt}\ne\frac{v}{t}[/tex]

Arslan said:
E=W=F.d
=m.a.d ......=mgh
=m.(v/t).d

In the equation above, v is the final velocity at time t.

=m.(d/t^2).d

In this step you use v=d/t, but the object isn't moving at constant speed v. It starts with speed 0, and increases speed linearly until the end (v). d/t is the average speed which is v/2 for constant acceleration from v=0 to v=v. So v=2d/t.

Thanks i got it

i have still one more question related to energy

If a snooker player hits a ball on frictionless surface...he hits with force 6N and ball starts to move with constant velocity say 10m/s and never stops,
how much work is done by the player and how how much energy the ball has.

If we use W=integral(F.dx)
but F=6 at instant t=0 and F=0 for all other values of t
and d=0 at instant t=0 and d is increasing for all other values of t
So the product remains 0

It mean that work done is zero but energy is transferred to ball i.e. 1/2 mv^2

Arslan said:
If we use W=integral(F.dx)
but F=6 at instant t=0 and F=0 for all other values of t
and d=0 at instant t=0 and d is increasing for all other values of t
So the product remains 0

It mean that work done is zero but energy is transferred to ball i.e. 1/2 mv^2
No, it means that your model is flawed. You can't exert a force for zero time. ∫Fdt & ∫Fdx will both be greater than zero.

Doc Al said:
No, it means that your model is flawed. You can't exert a force for zero time.
Well you can conceptually exert a finite force for zero duration. It won't do anything, however.

You can also apply a rather large but finite force F(t) for a very small period of time δt. Taking ∫Fdt to be the change in momentum Δp and letting δt→0 so that Δp remains constant leads to the idea of impulsive forces. These can yield quite good estimates of the behavior if
  • You don't care about the deformations and such during that time interval δt during which the force is non-zero
  • The changes to the integrated state (position) during that time interval δt are very small
  • That large but finite force F(t) overwhelms all other forces during that time interval.

D H said:
Well you can conceptually exert a finite force for zero duration. It won't do anything, however.
True. :wink:

FAQ: Can Any1 tell me why kienetic energy is equal to both m.v[SUP]2[/SUP] and 1/2

1. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy possessed by an object due to its motion.

2. How is kinetic energy calculated?

Kinetic energy is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by its velocity squared, or by using the formula 1/2 * mass * velocity squared.

3. Why is kinetic energy equal to both m.v[SUP]2[/SUP] and 1/2 * m * v[SUP]2[/SUP]?

Kinetic energy can be derived using the work-energy theorem, which states that the work done on an object is equal to its change in kinetic energy. Using this theorem, we can see that the work done on an object to bring it from rest to a velocity v is equal to 1/2 * m * v[SUP]2[/SUP]. Therefore, kinetic energy is equal to 1/2 * m * v[SUP]2[/SUP]. However, since kinetic energy is also equal to the work done on an object, which is equal to the product of force and displacement, we can also express it as m.v[SUP]2[/SUP].

4. What are the units of kinetic energy?

The SI unit of kinetic energy is Joules (J), which is equal to kg * m[SUP]2[/SUP] / s[SUP]2[/SUP]. In the imperial system, the unit of kinetic energy is foot-pounds (ft-lb).

5. How is kinetic energy related to the speed of an object?

Kinetic energy is directly proportional to the square of the speed of an object. This means that as an object's speed increases, its kinetic energy increases exponentially.