Can anyone explain this? The Triangle riddle

In summary, the speaker is seeking help with a riddle they found online involving two triangles that appear to be the same but have different measurements. They provide a link to the riddle and mention that it has been posted before. The explanation for the riddle involves the upper surface of the triangles being rearranged from a concave shape to a convex shape, resulting in an area equal to that of a square.
muse99
OK, I'm sure you clever guys can sort this for me. I'm sure you've all seen this. I can't understand it at all and it's driving me nuts! Help!

They both look the same and I have even measured them! It can be found here:

http://www.amazed.tv/video/13205-amazing-riddle-can-you-solve-it-how-is-this-possible.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The assumption is that it is a perfect triangle. Check out the slopes of the green and red mini triangles. Shouldn't they be the same? Are they? IF they were then the ratio of height to base would be the same. Does 2 over 5 equal 3 over 8?

I think this was already posted somewhere, in the brain teaser forum?

Initially the upper surface of the not quite a triangle is "concave" (inwards angle), and after re-arrangment, the upper surface of the not quite a triangle is "convex" (outwards angle). The difference in area "consumed" by the "concave" uppper surface and the "convex" upper surface equals the area of the square.

Related to Can anyone explain this? The Triangle riddle

What is the Triangle riddle?

The Triangle riddle is a famous mathematical puzzle that involves arranging numbers in a triangle shape to find a pattern and solve for the missing number.

How do you solve the Triangle riddle?

To solve the Triangle riddle, you need to add the numbers in each row and then use the resulting sum in the next row to create a new number. Repeat this process until you reach the top of the triangle, where the missing number can be found.

Why is the Triangle riddle considered a brain teaser?

The Triangle riddle is considered a brain teaser because it requires logical thinking and problem-solving skills to figure out the pattern and solve for the missing number. It also challenges individuals to think outside the box and use their mathematical knowledge in a creative way.

Are there multiple solutions to the Triangle riddle?

No, there is only one correct solution to the Triangle riddle. However, there may be multiple ways to arrive at the solution, depending on the individual's approach and mathematical abilities.

What is the significance of the Triangle riddle?

The Triangle riddle is a classic example of a mathematical puzzle that has been used to challenge and entertain people for centuries. It also highlights the importance of patterns and logic in problem-solving and critical thinking.