Can anyone figure our how to predict the volume in a tank at any time?

In summary, the author is trying to figure out how to predict the volume of fluid in a tank at any time based off of viscosity and the pipe length. They created a formula based off of the Hagen-Poiseuille equation, but it did not match up with the data they collected. They also mention that if anyone knows anything that could help them, they would appreciate it.
Zaxo3000
I have a tank (actually a PVC tube with an end cap) that has an interior diameter of 86 mm. It stands on its circular face. Coming out near the bottom of the tank at a right angle is a metal pipe 11 mm in diameter (interior) and 312 mm long (in total that is, note that some of the pipe is protruding within the tank and not just out of the tank to stabilise it). Here is a picture similar to what I did on page 3 http://seniorphysics.com/physics/ejp_sianoudis.pdf (I’m not doing the same experiment).

I fill the tank with water until enough water is in the tank so that it starts to flow out of the pipe (there is some space beneath the exit pipe's hole). I do this so then I know if I add another litre of water now, 1 litre should come out (no space inside the tank beneath the pipe hole now). My experiment is aimed at investigating the effect of viscosity on the time the tank takes to empty (not really empty because when the water level is beneath the top of the pipe the theory does not stand, so about there). I need a formula that can predict the volume of fluid in the tank at any time and takes into account viscosity and the pipe length. I created one based off the Hagen–Poiseuille equation, but it did not match up with the data i collected and it also suggested that a viscosity that was 100 greater would take 100 times as long to flow, which is not the case.

If anyone knows anything that could help me, such as if this is even predictable and why/why it isn't, I would appreciate it.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Start with the treatment in (probably close to what you tried):

http://www.lmnoeng.com/Tank/TankTime.htm

And modify this treatment to include your other effects as follows:

DP = rho * g * h = KT * rho * v^2/2 + f (L/D) * rho * v^2/2

K = sum of all resistance coefficients (including opening)
L = length of pipe
and the rest are the usual meening.

Note that you can capture your viscosity effects with correlations for f that depend on Reynold's Number.

You can adjust your K for loss factors for friction as follows: K = f * Leq / D.

So solve this above equation for Q as a function h.

Then, as was done in the link: Integrate Q(h) = -A dh/dt.

edgepflow said:
Start with the treatment in (probably close to what you tried):

http://www.lmnoeng.com/Tank/TankTime.htm

And modify this treatment to include your other effects as follows:

DP = rho * g * h = KT * rho * v^2/2 + f (L/D) * rho * v^2/2

K = sum of all resistance coefficients (including opening)
L = length of pipe
and the rest are the usual meening.

Note that you can capture your viscosity effects with correlations for f that depend on Reynold's Number.

You can adjust your K for loss factors for friction as follows: K = f * Leq / D.

So solve this above equation for Q as a function h.

Then, as was done in the link: Integrate Q(h) = -A dh/dt.

First of all I can't see where the equation at http://www.lmnoeng.com/Tank/TankTime.htm
takes pressure into account so I don't know how to "modify this treatment to include the other effects as follows:

DP = rho * g * h = KT * rho * v^2/2 + f (L/D) * rho * v^2/2"
Or where this came from or what T is.

Secondly i don't know how to calculate The Darcy friction factor for turbulent flow (as is the case here initially) for K = f * Leq / D. Also what does Leq represents.

I'm afraid I have no idea about most of what you say. It might help to tell you that before now I have had no experience with fluid mechanics, but i can integrate functions like where the flow rate is proportional to the volume of water etc. Really what would help the most if you could give some kind of example of doing what you are talking about. Either way thanks for helping.

Related to Can anyone figure our how to predict the volume in a tank at any time?

1. How do you calculate the volume of a tank?

The volume of a tank can be calculated by multiplying the area of its base by its height. This can be done using the formula V = A x h, where V is the volume, A is the area, and h is the height.

2. Can you predict the volume of a tank at any given time?

Yes, it is possible to predict the volume of a tank at any given time by using mathematical models and equations. By measuring the inflow and outflow of the tank and taking into account factors such as temperature and pressure, the volume can be accurately predicted.

3. What factors affect the volume of a tank?

The volume of a tank can be affected by various factors such as temperature, pressure, the type of liquid or gas being stored, and the size and shape of the tank. These factors can impact the density of the substance and thus affect the overall volume of the tank.

4. Is it possible to predict the volume of a tank without any prior data?

No, it is not possible to predict the volume of a tank without any prior data. In order to make accurate predictions, data such as the tank's dimensions, the inflow and outflow rates, and the characteristics of the substance being stored are needed.

5. How can accurate volume predictions be useful?

Accurate volume predictions can be useful in various industries such as oil and gas, manufacturing, and agriculture. It can help with planning and optimizing storage, transportation, and production processes. It can also aid in monitoring and preventing potential hazards or accidents.