Can anyone help me answer these moment of inertia questions please?

In summary, the question is asking for the ratio of thickness to radius of a solid disk with the same moment of inertia about two different axes. For the second question, it is not possible to have torque on an object while the net force applied to it is zero, but a couple can still cause rotation.
sowmit
The question says:
Imagine a solid disk, made of uniform material, a radius R and thickness L. What is the ratio of L/R if the moment of inertia of this disk about the axis passing through the center and perpendicular to the plane of the disk is the same as the moment of inertia about the axis passing through the center and parallel to the disk? [I definitely don't know how to answer this. I don't think I even understand how to start it off]

2nd Question says:
Is it possible to have a torque on an object while the net force applied to it is zero? If not, why not? If yes, give an example.

-> I said it is not possible because torque= Force * Sin(theta). Since force is 0, torque is o as well.

Can someone help me with these questions please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,
for the first part: the moment of inertia of the disc passing through perpendicularly to the surface of the disc at its centre is (1/2)*M*(R^2). and the other case the moment of inertia is (1/12)*M*(3R^2 + L^2).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_moments_of_inertia

so just compare and you will find the ratio.

for the second part i am not sure about the answer.
But if the vector sum of the applied force is zero, for example rotating an object, the torque is not zero and is commonly known as 'couple'

FAQ: Can anyone help me answer these moment of inertia questions please?

1. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is the rotational analog of mass in linear motion.

2. How is moment of inertia calculated?

Moment of inertia is calculated by taking the sum of the products of each point mass in the object and its distance from the axis of rotation squared. The formula is I = Σmr², where I is moment of inertia, m is mass, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation.

3. Why is moment of inertia important?

Moment of inertia is important because it helps us understand how objects will behave when rotating. It is used in many areas of physics and engineering, such as calculating the stability of structures and predicting the motion of objects in space.

4. What factors affect moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia of an object depends on its mass, shape, and how its mass is distributed around its axis of rotation. Objects with more mass and a greater distance from the axis of rotation have a higher moment of inertia.

5. Can moment of inertia be negative?

No, moment of inertia cannot be negative. It is always a positive value since it is calculated by squaring the distance from the axis of rotation. Objects with a lower moment of inertia will be easier to rotate than those with a higher moment of inertia.

Back