Can anyone help me? I have no idea .

In summary, the Principle of Superposition states that if we know the solutions to a linear, homogenous differential equation, then we can find the solutions to an equation with the same unknown function, but with one additional term. This is done by solving the associated homogenous differential equation, and then substituting in the solutions to the original equation.
zibb3r
Can anyone help me? I have no idea...

I have no idea how to approach this; so figured it was worth a shot asking you guys!

Cheers!

Using the Principle of Superposition, fi nd the general solution of the diff erential equation:

dx/dt = (1/2)x+4 ; subject to the initial condition x(0)=1

Thanks guys; I'm really stuck, otherwise I wouldn't be asking!

:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, what IS the Principle of Superposition?
Clarifying your mind on that will give you a clue.
:smile:

Likes 1 person
I think I've just confused myself more... ! I get what it is, but I'm not really sure how to apply it to this equations; if that makes any sense?

Hang on... Does this look ok?

dx/dt = 1/2 x + 4
dx/(1/2 x + 4) = dt
2dx/(x+8) = dt
2ln(x+8) = t + C
ln(x+8) = (t+C)/2
x+8 = Ce^(t/2)
When t = 0, x = 1
So, 1+8 = Ce^0
C = 9
x+8 = 9e^(t/2)
x = 9e^(t/2) - 8

That is certainly the correct answer (congrats!), but not showing mastery of the Principle of Superpositon.

As the question was given, you should show a clear understanding of THAT principle.

Here's how you may do it.

The Principle of Superposition is a property of what we call linear, homogenous differential equations.
"Linear" means that for every term in the diff.eq, the unknown function "x" or its derivatives is contained AT MOST to the first power; for example the term 1/2x(t) can appear in a linear diff.eq, whereas a term x(t)^2 can not.

"Homogenous" means, basically that all non-zero terms in a linear differential equation are explicit expressions containing the unknown function "x" or its derivatives.

For example, the linear differential eq.
dx/dt-1/2x=0 (**) is homogenous; we have a "zero term", plus two terms, the one being dx/dt, the other 1/2x.
--------------------------------
For linear, homogenous diff. eqs, we have the result: Suppose X(t) and Y(t) are solutions of the diff.eq. Then, the sum Z(t)=a*X(t)+b*Y(t), for arbitrary constants a,b is ALSO a solution. (THIS is the Principle of Superposition!)

To take the example (**) above, with X(t), Y(t) solutions, we may verify that Z(t) is ALSO a solution, by computing LHS:

dZ/dt-1/2*dZ/dt=(a*dX/dt+b*dY/dt)-1/2*(a*X+b*Y)=a*(dX/dt-1/2X)+b*(dY/dt-1/2*Y)=a*0+b*0=0,

that is, Z(t) is also a solution, given that X and Y are solutions!
-------------------------
NOW, your problem was:
dx/dt-1/2x=4 (***)

This is NOT homogenous, because the term "4" is non-zero, and does NOT contain "x" or its derivatives!

However, let X_(p)(t) be a particular solution of (***). Then, a theorem associated with the Principle of Superposition says that if X_(h)(t) is any solution of the associated homogenous diff.eq (that is, (**)), then X_(p)(t)+X_(h)(t) is ALSO a solution of (***)

Why? We insert in LHS:
dX_(p)/dt+dX_(h)/dt-1/2*(X_(p)+X_(h))=dX_(p)/dt-1/2*X_(p)+dX_(h)/dt-1/2*X_(h)=4+0=4,

that is, the sum X_(p)(t)+X_(h)(t) is ALSO a solution of (***).
------------------------------------------------
Given this background, we can now see how you should proceed to solve this problem, utilizing the Principle of Superposition:
1. Find a solution to the homogenous equation, dx/dt-1/2x=0
2. Make a lucky guess at (***)
3. Adjust integration constant from 1. so that the sum from 1.+2. satisfies initial condition.

Now, it is easy to see that the general solution of 1. is x(t)=C*e^(t/2)=X_(h)(t)
Furthermore, for 2: Since the RHS in (3) is a constant, guess at an X_(p)(t)=A, where "A" is some constant to be determined for solving (***)
Inserting X_p(t) into (***), we get: 0-1/2*A=4, that is, A=-8 is a particular solution of (***)
------
Thus, we have a general solution of (***) x(t)=C*e^(t/2)-8.
We find then, that C=9 in order to satisfy the initial condition.

FAQ: Can anyone help me? I have no idea .

1. What should I do if I have no idea about a certain topic or problem?

If you are struggling with a topic or problem, the first step is to try to break it down into smaller, more manageable pieces. This can help you gain a better understanding and identify specific areas where you need help. Additionally, you can seek out resources such as textbooks, online articles, or videos that explain the topic in a different way.

2. How can I find someone to help me?

There are many ways to find help, depending on the type of assistance you need. You can reach out to friends, family, or classmates who may have knowledge or experience in the subject. You can also seek help from a tutor, teacher, or mentor. Additionally, many online communities and forums offer support and guidance for a variety of topics.

3. When should I ask for help?

It is important to ask for help when you are feeling overwhelmed or stuck on a problem. Waiting too long to seek help can lead to increased frustration and a decreased understanding of the topic. It is better to ask for assistance early on so that you can continue to make progress and learn effectively.

4. What should I do if I am too embarrassed to ask for help?

Asking for help can be intimidating, especially if you are feeling embarrassed or insecure about your knowledge. However, it is important to remember that everyone needs help at some point and seeking assistance is a sign of strength and determination. If you are still hesitant, try reaching out to someone you trust or seeking help anonymously online.

5. How can I become more self-sufficient in my learning?

While it is important to seek help when needed, it is also beneficial to develop independent learning skills. This can include setting goals, managing your time effectively, and actively engaging in the learning material. Additionally, seeking out resources and practicing critical thinking can help you become more self-sufficient in your learning and problem-solving abilities.