Can Anyone Master Math and Physics for a Career in Computer Engineering?

In summary, the speaker is a freshman in college considering major options. They have a love for math and science but did not invest much in them during high school. They are now interested in computer engineering, but are unsure if they have a natural aptitude for math and physics or if it can be learned through hard work and passion. They are seeking advice from others who have taught themselves to become proficient in math and interested in pursuing a career in software development.
Qatra
I am a freshman in college and I'm currently considering all of my options for a major.

I love math and science, but didn't invest very much of myself into them when I was in high school. Granted, the only subjects that I never got below a B in were science and math, but it wasn't at the forefront of my mind. I love computers and am absolutely fascinated with both hardware and software development, so have been considering a computer engineer major for some time now. I've been asking around, especially my father who has 2 degrees in mathematics, but have yet to find a solid answer to my question: Are math and physics something that you are innately good at (which some people hint at), or if you apply yourself and have a passion for them, you can master and succeed. I find that, especially when it comes to school, if I apply myself and delve earnestly into the work, I catch on very quickly and develop a concrete understanding of the subject matter.

I mostly want to know if I am setting myself up for failure by dedicating myself to computer engineering. The work load is not what is daunting, but rather the prospect of me simply "not getting it" after an honest attempt. What are some thoughts/experiences of people who never considered themselves a "math" person, but learned and taught themselves to become one?

Thank you kindly.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Well! If you have interest in computers then surely it's a good idea to become a software developer.

I suggest you try reading some books on programming and computers (but you might have done so already), and experiment a bit with different programming languages and see if you find it interesting.

A little warning though, programming can be quite difficult and daunting at first, but just play around with it to see if this is something you can see yourself doing in the future.

As for the mathematics, some people might be born with some very special gift, but many others find joy in it simply through practice and interest for the subject.

Related to Can Anyone Master Math and Physics for a Career in Computer Engineering?

1. What is a potential computer engineer?

A potential computer engineer is someone who has the skills and interest in pursuing a career in computer engineering. This includes designing, developing, and maintaining computer systems and hardware.

2. What skills are required to become a potential computer engineer?

To become a potential computer engineer, you should have strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as a solid understanding of computer systems and programming languages. It is also beneficial to have good communication and teamwork skills.

3. What education is needed to become a potential computer engineer?

Most potential computer engineers have a bachelor's degree in computer engineering, computer science, or a related field. Some may also have a master's degree for more specialized roles. Continuing education and staying updated with new technologies is also important in this field.

4. What is the job outlook for potential computer engineers?

The job outlook for potential computer engineers is very positive. With the increasing demand for technology in various industries, the need for skilled computer engineers is also growing. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment in this field is projected to grow 2% from 2019 to 2029.

5. What are some potential career paths for a computer engineer?

A potential computer engineer can pursue various career paths, including software development, hardware engineering, systems analysis, and network engineering. They can also work in industries such as healthcare, finance, and manufacturing. With experience and further education, they can also advance to leadership and managerial roles.