Can anyone please tell me what are preons.

• Thread starter dimension10
  • Start date
In summary, preons are hypothetical subatomic particles that are believed to be even smaller than quarks, the building blocks of protons and neutrons. They were proposed as a way to simplify the large number of fundamental particles in the standard model of particle physics. However, there is currently no widely accepted preon model that can explain the known particles and their properties.
dimension10
Can anyone please tell me what are preons. I searched wikipedia, google scholar and many other sites but all I got is that they occupy 0 space and that that they are older than the standard model itself!

Physics news on Phys.org

Afaik there is no common accepted preon model that is able to reproduce the known particles, account for their masses, quantum numbers and interactions. Preon models were considered due to the fact that there are now many fundamental particles (6 quarks, 6 leptons, the W, Z, photon and gluon gauge bosons, perhaps 1 Higgs) and that one would like to reduce this large number to a smaller set of fundamental objects.

Related to Can anyone please tell me what are preons.

1. What are preons?

Preons are hypothetical subatomic particles that are thought to be the building blocks of quarks, which are the elementary particles that make up protons and neutrons.

2. How were preons discovered?

Preons have not yet been discovered, and their existence is still a subject of debate among scientists. The concept of preons was first proposed in the 1970s as a way to explain the internal structure of quarks.

3. What is the current research on preons?

Scientists continue to study the possibility of preons and their potential role in particle physics. Some theories suggest that preons could explain the patterns and symmetries observed in particle interactions, but more research is needed to confirm their existence.

4. How are preons related to other subatomic particles?

The idea of preons is closely related to the concept of supersymmetry, which suggests that each known particle has a partner particle that is yet to be discovered. Preons are also connected to the idea of grand unification, which seeks to unify the fundamental forces of nature.

5. What impact could the discovery of preons have?

If preons are confirmed to exist, it could revolutionize our understanding of the fundamental building blocks of the universe. It could also lead to new technologies and advancements in the field of particle physics.