Can Atmosphere exist in Moon Craters?

In summary: So, in summary, Shadow suggests that it is possible to generate an atmosphere on the moon using the same process that creates air on Earth, by heating a crater and pulling the air in. He suggests that this process could be done with water ice, and that a city could be built at the bottom of a crater if the conditions are right.
Qshadow
Hi, consider a Moon Crater hidden from direct sunlight that has an average temperature about
-60 Celcius (213 K). It is quite possible that somewhere on the Moon such crater exists.
I choose -60 Celsius because it is the average Winter temperature at the South Pole and thus possible lowest at which humans can survive without space suits.

Now consider we produce air from ice in such crater. By my calcualtions this air should not escape from such crater because it's velocity will be lower than needed to overcome the escape velocity of the moon.

Here are the numbers:
1.Average air molecules velocity should be 1/5 of the escape velocity to stay in the crater.
Vair <= 1/5 Ve
Ve >= 5Vair >= 5*SQRT(3*KB*T/Mair)/1000

Were KB is Boltzman Constant = 1.38E-23 JK^-1
T = 213 K
Mair is Mass of the Air Molecules in Kg = 4.82E-26 Kg
Ve is the escape Velocity of the Moon = 2.38 Km/s

we get Vair = 0.43 Km/s
and 5*Vair = 2.14

2.38 >= 2.14

So is it possible to create such artificial pockets with atmosphere without building any protection structures to keep air from escaping?
Maybe such craters with atmosphere already exist on the Moon (of course not air but maybe some other gas)?

Regards,
Qshadow.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The height of the moon craters is not sufficient to confine the molecules inside - they will spread out quickly, and then you will lose those molecules quickly as parts of the moon are hotter than your crater.

mfb said:
The height of the moon craters is not sufficient to confine the molecules inside - they will spread out quickly, and then you will lose those molecules quickly as parts of the moon are hotter than your crater.
Do you have some formula that describes the speed of loosing molecules as a function of crater height?

I would like to be able to calculate this, I feel that it may take hundreds of years to loose the air in the crater through the spreading process.
And the air at the bottom of the crater will stay for a long time.
But I would really like to be able to calculate this.
Thanks,
Qshadow.

P.S.
I found that deepest carters on the moon are about 6Km deep.
So I would like to see if 5-6 Km is not enough to sustain athmosphere, maybe even with some artificial heating if the craters are too cold initially.

Last edited:
I imagine that we could build such huge oasises at the bottom of moon craters,
so called Moon Crater Cities!

And maybe even with temperatures above zero (all depends on the speed of such craters loosing air).

To build such city will be very simple, just send equipment that converts water ice to air and you are done!
No need to build any complex life supporting structures, and the heat produced by the converting equipment will heat the crater interior if it is too cold. After enough air is produced, human settlers will arrive, and they could even use air breaking landing which was otherwise impossible on the moon.
Maybe even small planes will be able to flight in such craters if the air pressure will be high enough.
Qshadow.

You can apply the same formula for molecular losses to the velocity needed to escape the crater - at a height of 6km, this is just something like 150m/s. Even SF6 will escape from the craters quickly.

To build such city will be very simple, just send equipment that converts water ice to air and you are done!
If there is enough water ice readily available.
And you will need a dome to get an atmosphere. The surface has radiation issues, too, so digging into the ground looks like a good idea anyway.

Related to Can Atmosphere exist in Moon Craters?

1. Can an atmosphere exist in moon craters?

Yes, it is possible for an atmosphere to exist in moon craters, but it would be very different from Earth's atmosphere. The moon's atmosphere would be much thinner and composed mostly of gases released from the lunar surface.

2. What is the composition of the atmosphere in moon craters?

The composition of an atmosphere in moon craters would be mostly made up of gases released from the lunar surface, such as helium, hydrogen, and neon. These gases would be very sparse and not suitable for sustaining life.

3. How thick would the atmosphere be in moon craters?

The thickness of an atmosphere in moon craters would vary depending on the size of the crater and the amount of gases released. It would be very thin and have a low atmospheric pressure, making it difficult for humans to survive without proper equipment.

4. Can an atmosphere in moon craters support life?

No, the atmosphere in moon craters would not be able to support life as we know it. The lack of oxygen and the thinness of the atmosphere would make it impossible for humans to survive without proper equipment. However, some microorganisms may be able to survive in these conditions.

5. How does the lack of gravity affect the atmosphere in moon craters?

The lack of gravity on the moon would have a significant impact on the atmosphere in craters. Without gravity to hold it in place, the gases in the atmosphere would disperse and escape into space. This is one of the main reasons why the moon does not have a significant atmosphere like Earth.