Can Bessel Functions and Cosine be Expressed as Infinite Series?

In summary, the author is trying to solve a problem involving the taylor series for cosine, but they are having difficulty because each term is a series and it is too difficult to solve. They say that they match the first two terms, but they are not sure if they can continue.
athrun200

Homework Statement

Show that
[itex]\cos x[/itex]=[itex]J_{0}[/itex]+[itex]2[/itex][itex]\sum(-1)^{n}[/itex][itex]J_{2n}[/itex]
where the summation range from n=1 to +inf

Homework Equations

Taylor series for cosine?
series expression for bessel function?

The Attempt at a Solution

My approach is to start from R.H.S.
I would like to express all bessel functions in the series form, then compare it to the taylor series of cosine.

I notice that the summation can be written as
-[itex]J_{2}[/itex]+[itex]J_{4}[/itex]-[itex]J_{6}[/itex]+[itex]J_{8}[/itex]+...
Using the recurrence relation, we have - [itex]2J'_{3}[/itex]-[itex]2J_{7}[/itex]-[itex]2J_{11}[/itex]-...

Therefore, R.H.S can be written as[itex]J_{0}+[/itex] [itex]4J'_{3}[/itex]-[itex]4J_{7}[/itex]-[itex]4J_{11}[/itex]-...

But it seems it will be extremely difficult to deal with it. Since each term itself is a series. We are now summing up infinity many series.

I wonder if we have a better way to finish this question

Physics news on Phys.org
athrun200 said:

Homework Statement

Show that
[itex]\cos x[/itex]=[itex]J_{0}[/itex]+[itex]2[/itex][itex]\sum(-1)^{n}[/itex][itex]J_{2n}[/itex]
where the summation range from n=1 to +inf

Homework Equations

Taylor series for cosine?
series expression for bessel function?

The Attempt at a Solution

My approach is to start from R.H.S.
I would like to express all bessel functions in the series form, then compare it to the taylor series of cosine.

I notice that the summation can be written as
-[itex]J_{2}[/itex]+[itex]J_{4}[/itex]-[itex]J_{6}[/itex]+[itex]J_{8}[/itex]+...
Using the recurrence relation, we have - [itex]2J'_{3}[/itex]-[itex]2J_{7}[/itex]-[itex]2J_{11}[/itex]-...

Therefore, R.H.S can be written as[itex]J_{0}+[/itex] [itex]4J'_{3}[/itex]-[itex]4J_{7}[/itex]-[itex]4J_{11}[/itex]-...

But it seems it will be extremely difficult to deal with it. Since each term itself is a series. We are now summing up infinity many series.

I wonder if we have a better way to finish this question

How about just a few? Can we even get that far with it? I don't know. Say the first three terms:

[tex]1-x^2/2+x^4/24[/tex]

Ok, just that much. Can you start writing out say 3 or 4 or five of those series and see what the first term of them looks like and then notice a trend and then use induction to equate coefficients on each side of the expression and conclude the general expression for each constant? Each will be a sum of course so that we'd have:

[tex]1=\sum_1^{\infty} a_n[/tex]

[tex] -1/2=\sum_1^{\infty}b_n[/tex]

[tex] 1/24=\sum_1^{\infty}c_n[/tex]

and so forth.

jackmell said:
How about just a few? Can we even get that far with it? I don't know. Say the first three terms:

[tex]1-x^2/2+x^4/24[/tex]

Ok, just that much. Can you start writing out say 3 or 4 or five of those series and see what the first term of them looks like and then notice a trend and then use induction to equate coefficients on each side of the expression and conclude the general expression for each constant? Each will be a sum of course so that we'd have:

[tex]1=\sum_1^{\infty} a_n[/tex]

[tex] -1/2=\sum_1^{\infty}b_n[/tex]

[tex] 1/24=\sum_1^{\infty}c_n[/tex]

and so forth.

I manage to match the first two terms.
But when doing the n=k step in MI, I have no idea now to express it.
There are so many terms on the right contain x^(2k)

After some works, I discovered the coefficient of x^2n on RHS is like this (shown in the picture below).

But it seems it is impossible for them to be the same.

Attachments

• 未命名.jpg
    未命名.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 509
athrun200 said:
After some works, I discovered the coefficient of x^2n on RHS is like this (shown in the picture below).

But it seems it is impossible for them to be the same.

Ok. But that's not easy to read. Also, I'm not sure that's the best approach ok but it's essential in order to become good at math: to try things and if they don't work, well, you try something else so I admire you're willingness to at least try it and even if someone comes with a better way, you're on your way to becommng better at math. :)

jackmell said:
Ok. But that's not easy to read. Also, I'm not sure that's the best approach ok but it's essential in order to become good at math: to try things and if they don't work, well, you try something else so I admire you're willingness to at least try it and even if someone comes with a better way, you're on your way to becommng better at math. :)

I discovered a formula very similar to my question.
I don't know if I can work on it to get the answer. I am still trying.
Comments are very welcome!
attachment.php?attachmentid=52815&d=1352510432.gif

L.H.S. is [itex]e^{i x sinθ}[/itex]

Attachments

• formula.gif
    formula.gif
    837 bytes · Views: 803
By putting θ=Pi/2, then done!

Related to Can Bessel Functions and Cosine be Expressed as Infinite Series?

1. What is a Bessel Function?

A Bessel Function is a mathematical function that was first introduced by Friedrich Bessel in 1817. It is used to describe the behavior of waves, such as sound waves or electromagnetic waves, in circular and cylindrical systems.

2. How are Bessel Functions related to cosine?

Bessel Functions and cosine are closely related because they both describe the oscillatory behavior of waves. In fact, a Bessel Function can be expressed as a linear combination of cosine functions with different frequencies and amplitudes.

3. What are some applications of Bessel Functions?

Bessel Functions have many applications in different fields of science and engineering. They are used to model vibrations in mechanical systems, heat transfer in circular objects, and the propagation of electromagnetic waves in cylindrical waveguides. They are also used in signal processing and image reconstruction.

4. Are there different types of Bessel Functions?

Yes, there are different types of Bessel Functions, such as the Bessel function of the first kind, denoted as Jn(x), and the Bessel function of the second kind, denoted as Yn(x). These functions have different mathematical properties and are used in different applications.

5. How are Bessel Functions calculated?

Bessel Functions can be calculated using various methods, such as power series, continued fractions, or recurrence relations. In some cases, numerical methods may also be used. There are also computer programs and software packages that can compute Bessel Functions with high accuracy.