Can Black Holes Be Used for Faster-Than-Light Travel?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of faster than light travel in the context of the popular game Halo. The use of miniature black holes and hawking radiation as a means for ftl travel is dismissed as unrealistic. Suggestions for contemporary ideas for ftl travel are also considered, but it is noted that there are currently no theories based on actual physics. The conversation concludes by recommending further research in existing threads on the topic.
dbmorpher
Hello dbmorpher here,
I am an avid Halo fan, and in the lore the ability to go faster than light is from the http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Shaw-Fujikawa_Translight_Engine
I wanted to know if miniature black holes and hawking radiation would be able to rip a hole in space-time.
If not what are some contemporary ideas for faster than light travel?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
dbmorpher said:
Hello dbmorpher here,
I am an avid Halo fan, and in the lore the ability to go faster than light is from the http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Shaw-Fujikawa_Translight_Engine
I wanted to know if miniature black holes and hawking radiation would be able to rip a hole in space-time.

No, that is just nonsense. It is just stringing together buzz words in a way that has nothing to do with actual physics.

none based on actual physics. There are theories based on wormholes but they don't seem to be based in reality.

Last edited by a moderator:
dbmorpher said:
Hello dbmorpher here,

There are a lot of threads about possible ftl travel and ftl information transfer here at the PF. Please do a search and read those threads. If you have a specific questions about those threads, you may start a new thread to ask your questions about that thread. This thread is closed.

Related to Can Black Holes Be Used for Faster-Than-Light Travel?

1. What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region in space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, including light, can escape from it. This happens when a massive star dies and its core collapses, creating a point of infinite density and zero volume.

2. Can black holes be used for faster-than-light (FTL) travel?

Currently, there is no scientific evidence to suggest that black holes can be used for FTL travel. The theory of general relativity states that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light, and this applies to black holes as well.

3. What is the Alcubierre drive and how does it relate to black holes and FTL travel?

The Alcubierre drive is a theoretical concept that proposes a way to achieve FTL travel using the curvature of space-time. However, it requires exotic matter with negative energy density, which has not been observed in nature. There is no direct connection between black holes and the Alcubierre drive.

4. Are there any other theories or technologies that could potentially allow FTL travel through black holes?

There are various other theories and technologies being explored for FTL travel, such as wormholes, warp drives, and quantum tunneling. However, these are all still in the realm of science fiction and have not been proven to be possible in reality.

5. Is it possible to enter a black hole and survive?

No, it is not possible to enter a black hole and survive. The intense gravitational forces would tear apart any object, including spacecraft, before reaching the event horizon (the point of no return). Furthermore, time dilation near the event horizon would make it impossible to escape once inside.