Can Charged Elementary Particles Experience Acceleration in a Vacuum?

• Thread starter Crazymechanic
  • Start date
In summary, elementary particles traveling through vacuum mostly remain "unharmed" and maintain their kinetic energy, though they may experience redshift from gravitational fields and stretching of space due to the expansion of the universe. It is possible for electromagnetic forces to also affect their path and energy.
Crazymechanic
First , elementary particles traveling through vacuum , do they experience any loss of kinetic energy or whatever or are they "unharmed", unchanged while traveling in vacuum?
my guess would be for the second one.

And the other question let me put it this way.
Imagine there is a nuclear fusion reaction and the elementary particles are sitting on a merry-go-round that's spins pretty fast in a vacuum , do the high energy neutrons that come out , do they fly in any direction or are they traveling along the sides away from the merry-go-round because of tangential forces acting on them so that they fly that direction or do they still go equally every direction? Or is this dependent of the tangential velocity?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Crazymechanic! :smile:
Crazymechanic said:
First , elementary particles traveling through vacuum , do they experience any loss of kinetic energy or whatever or are they "unharmed", unchanged while traveling in vacuum?
my guess would be for the second one.

"unharmed" :smile:
Imagine there is a nuclear fusion reaction and the elementary particles are sitting on a merry-go-round that's spins pretty fast in a vacuum , do the high energy neutrons that come out , do they fly in any direction or are they traveling along the sides away from the merry-go-round because of tangential forces acting on them so that they fly that direction or do they still go equally every direction? Or is this dependent of the tangential velocity?

Sorry, I don't follow this :redface:

why would there be any forces on them, tangential or otherwise? :confused:

(If you mean, is the neutron velocity distribution affected by the velocity of the initial particles, the answer is yes, whether that velocity is circular or linear)

Well i was thinking of terms like the metal ball i was speaking about when mentioning the tangential velocity the metal ball flies off to that direction or feels stress to that direction does neutron would do the same being part of the gas or whatever that is spun in a centrifuge where you experience tangential velocity?

Crazymechanic said:
Well i was thinking of terms like the metal ball i was speaking about when mentioning the tangential velocity the metal ball flies off to that direction or feels stress to that direction does neutron would do the same being part of the gas or whatever that is spun in a centrifuge where you experience tangential velocity?

the gas has tangential velocity, so the neutron distribution will be biased towards that velocity

Thanks just the answer I was looking for

Crazymechanic said:

Mostly "unharmed". Visitors who come from very very long distance are observed to be red shifted.

and that is done by gravity i guess so the only thing that can alter or change a particles way through vacuum is gravity am I correct stating this?

gravity will do it, but i think manojr was referring to redshift caused by expansion of the universe

The deformation of space can effect the path & energy of a particle traveling through it. This can include gravitational fields. Redshift is mostly caused by the stretching of space due to the expansion of the universe.

If a particle is charged, electromagnetic forces can also accelerate it.

FAQ: Can Charged Elementary Particles Experience Acceleration in a Vacuum?

1. What are the two simple questions?

The two simple questions refer to the questions "What do you know?" and "How do you know it?" These questions are commonly used in scientific research to gather information and evidence.

2. Why are these two questions important in science?

These two questions are important in science because they help scientists to critically evaluate and analyze information. By asking these questions, scientists can ensure that their findings are based on reliable and valid evidence.

3. How do scientists use these two questions in their research?

Scientists use these two questions in their research by constantly asking themselves and others what they know and how they know it. By doing so, they can identify any gaps in knowledge and work towards filling them with evidence-based research.

4. Can anyone use these two questions in their daily life?

Yes, anyone can use these two questions in their daily life. By asking ourselves what we know and how we know it, we can become more critical thinkers and make informed decisions based on evidence rather than assumptions or beliefs.

5. Are there any limitations to using these two questions?

While these two questions are essential in scientific research, they may not always be applicable in other areas of life. Additionally, the answers to these questions may vary depending on an individual's perspective and may not always lead to a definitive conclusion.