Can co-prime numbers raise to a power that is equal to 1 mod(n)?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Poirot1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Challenge
In summary, by using Euler's theorem and the multiplicative property of phi, it can be shown that if a is co-prime to a positive integer n, where n=xy and x,y>2 are co-prime, then $a^{\frac{\phi(n)}{2}}=1$ mod(n). This is proven by contradiction, assuming the opposite and showing that it leads to a contradiction.
Poirot1
Let n =xy be a positive integer where x,y>2 are co-prime. Show that if a is co-prime to n, then $a^{\frac{\phi(n)}{2}}=1$ mod(n)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: co-prime challenge

$$a^{\frac{\varphi{(n)}}{2}} \equiv b \pmod{n} ~ ~ ~ ~ \iff ~ ~ ~ ~ a^{\frac{\varphi{(n)}}{2}} \equiv b \pmod{x} ~ ~ ~ ~ \iff ~ ~ ~ ~ a^{\varphi{(x)} \frac{\varphi{(y)}}{2}} \equiv b \pmod{x} ~ ~ ~ ~ \implies ~ ~ ~ ~ b = 1$$
Explanations and justifications below:Step 1: Apply the CRT, since $n = xy$.
Step 2: Definition of the totient function, and $\gcd{(x, y)} = 1$.
Step 3: Recall $\varphi{(y)}$ is even as $y > 2$. Use Euler's Theorem as $\gcd{(a, x)} = 1$.

It occurs to me I've been using the parity property of $\varphi$ an inordinate number of times in the past week ;)​

Last edited:

Bacterius said:
$$a^{\frac{\varphi{(n)}}{2}} \equiv b \pmod{n} ~ ~ ~ ~ \iff ~ ~ ~ ~ a^{\frac{\varphi{(n)}}{2}} \equiv b \pmod{x} ~ ~ ~ ~ \iff ~ ~ ~ ~ a^{\varphi{(x)} \frac{\varphi{(y)}}{2}} \equiv b \pmod{x} ~ ~ ~ ~ \implies ~ ~ ~ ~ b = 1$$
Explanations and justifications below:Step 1: Apply the CRT, since $n = xy$.
Step 2: Definition of the totient function, and $\gcd{(x, y)} = 1$.
Step 3: Recall $\varphi{(y)}$ is even as $y > 2$. Use Euler's Theorem as $\gcd{(a, x)} = 1$.

It occurs to me I've been using the parity property of $\varphi$ an inordinate number of times in the past week ;)​

Your method is better than mine. But in step 1, wouldn't the CRT be applicable if n and x were co-prime? As it is, the -> direction is clear, but how do you get the <- drection in step 1?

Poirot said:
Your method is better than mine. But in step 1, wouldn't the CRT be applicable if n and x were co-prime? As it is, the -> direction is clear, but how do you get the <- drection in step 1?

Yes, that is a good point. What is missing is that the step has to follow for both $x$ and $y$ for the equivalence to be fully satisfied (the argument is valid for both factors, so it does hold). Good catch! I guess one could slip a WLOG in there somewhere..​

By euler's theorem, $a^{\phi(n)}=1$ mod (n). Since n>2, phi(n) is even so that

$a^{{\frac{\phi(n)}{2}}^2}=1$ mod(n)

Thus, $|a^{\frac{\phi(n)}{2}}|=1$ mod(n)

Towards a contradiction, assume $a^{\frac{\phi(n)}{2}}=-1$ mod(n)

-> $a^{\frac{\phi(x)\phi(y)}{2}}=-1$ mod(x) using the multiplicative property of phi and the fact that any multiple of n is a multiple of x also.

since y>2, phi(y) is even so we get:

$a^{{\phi(x)}^{\frac{\phi(y)}{2}}}=-1$ mod(x). But (a,x)=1 so euler's theorem gives $a^{\phi(x)}=1$ mod(x). Also x>2 so 1 is not congruent to -1 mod(x). Therefore a contradiction has been established.

Related to Can co-prime numbers raise to a power that is equal to 1 mod(n)?

What is the Co-prime challenge?

The Co-prime challenge is a mathematical problem that involves finding the largest possible number of co-prime pairs in a given set of numbers.

What are co-prime numbers?

Co-prime numbers are two numbers that have no common factors other than 1. This means that their greatest common divisor (GCD) is 1.

How do you determine if two numbers are co-prime?

To determine if two numbers are co-prime, you can calculate their GCD using the Euclidean algorithm. If the GCD is 1, then the numbers are co-prime.

What is the goal of the Co-prime challenge?

The goal of the Co-prime challenge is to find the largest number of co-prime pairs in a given set of numbers, using a specific algorithm or method.

What are some real-life applications of the Co-prime challenge?

The Co-prime challenge has applications in cryptography, where co-prime numbers are used in the generation of public and private keys for secure communication. It also has applications in number theory and computer science.

Back