Can College physics/with calc 1,2 be taken without just CP first

• Schools
  • Thread starter andrewkg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    College
In summary, it is generally recommended to take the calculus-based physics sequence for students interested in quantum mechanics. It is important to have a strong foundation in calculus before taking this sequence, and it is typically only necessary to have completed Calculus 1 before starting. It is also advised to check the prerequisites listed on the university's website before registering for the course. Starting with a lower level physics course is acceptable, but it is important to have a strong understanding of calculus for future courses.
andrewkg
Hello my name is andrew. I'm a high school sophmore. At the university in my town (I'm dual enrolled) they offer college physics 1,2 and college physics/with calc 1,2 I really want to take QM so I need to take the fastest route possible. Do I need both with or without calc, can I take just the calc containing class, or just the class without calc? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Generally (and by generally I mean in every case I've ever heard of) one only takes a single introductory sequence. If your goal is quantum mechanics, take the calculus based one.

It's not a rush though, imo, you shouldn't try and get there the fastest way possible. You already building a base all of your future knowledge will be placed on. Don't make a shaky foundation.

Physics without calculus is really boring. I would highly recommend taking the calc-based sequence right away. It's going to make much more sense and it's going to be more challenging to you. Of course, you'll need to know calculus if you want to take the calc-based sequence...

Ok thanks. One more question though. How far in calc do I need to go before. I will have taken cal 1 and I will be in calc 2 while taking it is that alright.

andrewkg said:
Ok thanks. One more question though. How far in calc do I need to go before. I will have taken cal 1 and I will be in calc 2 while taking it is that alright.

That's usually alright. First calc-physics courses don't require much calc at all. Even Kleppner requires mostly knowledge from Calc I with some knowledge of DE's.

Here's some advice from someone that took AP physics B in high school and is currently taking college calculus based physics.

AP physics in my school was taught excellent. My teacher explained everything really well and actually challenged us. We didn't use calculus in that class and I was only taking pre-calculus with it. Now that I'm in calculus based physics, everything is easy, seriously. Every equation we do I can derive myself without the help of my professor. I understand how stuff works and why. The best thing is I can call out what he's about to explain next, makes my buddies get that :O face lol.

But yeah, I would go right with calculus based physics, makes much more sense and I think it's easier..

andrewkg said:
How far in calc do I need to go before. I will have taken cal 1 and I will be in calc 2 while taking it is that alright.

What does your university list as the prerequisites for the course?

It doesn't. There just a online sport off sing up ataturk where you view the courses then select them. It lists no prerequisites. Although, next fall I can email the teacher.

Sorry my phone auto corrected a few words there. I just meant an online registration system. That lists prerequisites for only a select fee courses and P/calc doesn't have one.

Look at the course listings on their web site. That should tell you what the prerequisites are.

I started with the lowest level physics class at my CC, because I had never taken a physics class before and needed a prereq for the intro calc-based sequence. I'm glad I had the conceptual, almost math-free intro, even though I was up to the calc of the harder sequence.

So it's okay to start at a lower level, but just take one non-calc course at the most, and be ROCK SOLID on all calc and linear algebra for the future.

FAQ: Can College physics/with calc 1,2 be taken without just CP first

1. Can I take college physics with calculus 1 and 2 without having taken just CP first?

Yes, it is possible to take college physics with calculus 1 and 2 without having taken just CP first. However, it is important to note that having a strong foundation in algebra and trigonometry is necessary for success in college physics courses.

2. Will I be at a disadvantage if I haven't taken just CP before college physics with calculus 1 and 2?

It is not ideal to skip over just CP before taking college physics with calculus 1 and 2, as just CP introduces important concepts and problem-solving skills that are built upon in later physics courses. However, with a strong understanding of algebra and trigonometry, it is still possible to succeed in college physics.

3. Can I take college physics with calculus 1 and 2 as a non-science major?

Yes, many colleges and universities offer introductory physics courses specifically designed for non-science majors. These courses often do not require a strong background in just CP or calculus, but still cover fundamental concepts and applications of physics.

4. Is it recommended to take just CP before college physics with calculus 1 and 2?

It is generally recommended to take just CP before college physics with calculus 1 and 2, as it provides a strong foundation in problem-solving skills and key concepts that are necessary for success in higher level physics courses. However, if you have a strong understanding of algebra and trigonometry, you may be able to succeed in college physics without having taken just CP first.

5. Are there any prerequisites for taking college physics with calculus 1 and 2?

The prerequisites for taking college physics with calculus 1 and 2 vary depending on the institution. However, most colleges and universities require a strong understanding of algebra and trigonometry. Some may also require completion of just CP or an equivalent introductory physics course.