Can Complex Variables Always Yield a Real Expression?

• Thread starter Bashyboy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Expression
In summary: Conjugates!But I don't know how to use that to show that ##a_2## and ##a_3## are conjugates. That's my problem. I can't seem to find any solutions for ##a_2## and ##a_3## that make the expression real for all ##\beta##.But I don't know how to use that to show that ##a_2## and ##a_3## are conjugates. That's my problem. I can't seem to find any solutions for ##a_2## and ##a_3## that make the expression real for all ##\beta##.You don't have to. If the expression is real for all ##
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

I have the expression ##a_2\overline{β} + a_3β## involving complex variables, where ##|β|≤1##. I was wondering, is it possible to determine for what ##a_2## and ##a_3## the expression is always real, for every ##β## satisfying ##|β|≤1##; or is there insufficient information?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I was under the impression an inquiry constituted an attempt. At any rate, I am not asking anyone to solve the problem; I am merely asking if solving such a problem is possible given the information. This doesn't come from a textbook, although I am sure it is considered a standard, textbook question.

How is this for an attempt?

##a_2 \overline{\beta} + a_3 \beta = r##, where ##r## is some real number.

##a_2 = \frac{r - a_3 \beta}{\overline{\beta}} = e^{i \theta} - a_3 e^{2 i \theta}##

Physics news on Phys.org
Bashyboy said:

Homework Statement

I have the expression ##a_2\overline{β} + a_3β## involving complex variables, where ##|β|≤1##. I was wondering, is it possible to determine for what ##a_2## and ##a_3## the expression is always real, for every ##β## satisfying ##|β|≤1##; or is there insufficient information?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I was under the impression an inquiry constituted an attempt. At any rate, I am not asking anyone to solve the problem; I am merely asking if solving such a problem is possible given the information. This doesn't come from a textbook, although I am sure it is considered a standard, textbook question.

How is this for an attempt?

##a_2 \overline{\beta} + a_3 \beta = r##, where ##r## is some real number.

##a_2 = \frac{r - a_3 \beta}{\overline{\beta}} = e^{i \theta} - a_3 e^{2 i \theta}##

Not very impressive. Maybe the answer is pretty obvious.

Edit: when is the sum of two complex numbers real?

Last edited:
Try writing ##\beta = x + iy## and then require the imaginary part of the expression you wrote to equal 0.

Wouldn't I have to do the same for ##a_2## and ##a_3##, seeing as I am trying to solve for these?

As PeroK noted, my situation is a particular case of a more general result--namely, that ##z_1 + z_2 = 0 \implies Im~z_2 = -Im~z_1##. But this doesn't seem particularly illuminating as ##Im~(a_2 \overline{\beta}) = - Im~(a_3 \beta)## produces a somewhat intricate equation.

Bashyboy said:
As PeroK noted, my situation is a particular case of a more general result--namely, that ##z_1 + z_2 = 0 \implies Im~z_2 = -Im~z_1##. But this doesn't seem particularly illuminating as ##Im~(a_2 \overline{\beta}) = - Im~(a_3 \beta)## produces a somewhat intricate equation.

I would say that ##Im(z_1) = -Im(z_2)## is very illuminating. Can you think of when that is the case?

When what is the case? When ##Im~(z_1) = -Im~(z_2)## is true? Isn't it true when ##y_2 = -y_1##?

Bashyboy said:
When what is the case? When ##Im~(z_1) = -Im~(z_2)## is true? Isn't it true when ##y_2 = -y_1##?

Complex conjugates have that property!

I don't think we can claim that ##z_1## and ##z_2## are complex conjugates as they could have different real parts.

Bashyboy said:
I don't think we can claim that ##z_1## and ##z_2## are complex conjugates as they could have different real parts.

No, but IF they are complex conjugates, then they have that property.

Sure, I would agree with that, but I can't conclude from that that ##a_2 \overline{\beta}## and ##a_3 \beta## are complex conjugates, if that's what you are aiming at.

Bashyboy said:
Sure, I would agree with that, but I can't conclude from that that ##a_2 \overline{\beta}## and ##a_3 \beta## are complex conjugates, if that's what you are aiming at.

Not directly, no. But if ##a_2## and ##a_3## are complex conjugates?

Yes, I agree. But I am trying to deduce what ##a_2## and ##a_3## are, not assign a property to them. My problem is, how do I not know there are more cases?

Bashyboy said:
Yes, I agree. But I am trying to deduce what ##a_2## and ##a_3## are, not assign a property to them. My problem is, how do I not know there are more cases?

That's the next question. You know that if ##a_2## and ##a_3## are conjugates, then ##a_2 \bar{\beta} + a_3 \beta## is real for all ##\beta##.

Now you have to show that they must be conjugates. Hint: consider ##\beta = i##.

##\alpha_2## and ##\alpha_3## need not be conjugates. A complex number is real if and only if it equals its own conjugate, so the requirement that ##\alpha_2 \overline{\beta} + \alpha_3 \beta## is real is equivalent to
$$\alpha_2 \overline{\beta} + \alpha_3 \beta = \overline{\alpha_2} \beta + \overline{\alpha_3} \overline{\beta}$$
Rearranging, this is the same as
$$\beta(\alpha_3 - \overline{\alpha_2}) = \overline{\beta}(\overline{\alpha_3} - \alpha_2)$$
Writing ##\alpha_3 = a + bi## and ##\alpha_2 = c + di##, the above becomes
$$\beta(a - c + i(b - d)) = \overline{\beta}(a - c - i(b + d))$$
This is one linear equation with four unknowns, so there are three degrees of freedom in specifying ##a,b,c,d##: you can set any three of them freely, and solve for the fourth. If it was necessary for ##\alpha_2## and ##\alpha_3## to be conjugates, you would only have two degrees of freedom available.

jbunniii said:
##\alpha_2## and ##\alpha_3## need not be conjugates. A complex number is real if and only if it equals its own conjugate, so the requirement that ##\alpha_2 \overline{\beta} + \alpha_3 \beta## is real is equivalent to
$$\alpha_2 \overline{\beta} + \alpha_3 \beta = \overline{\alpha_2} \beta + \overline{\alpha_3} \overline{\beta}$$
$$\beta(\alpha_3 - \overline{\alpha_2}) = \overline{\beta}(\overline{\alpha_3} - \alpha_2)$$
This is one linear equation with four unknowns, so there are three degrees of freedom in specifying ##a,b,c,d##: you can set any three of them freely, and solve for the fourth. If it was necessary for ##\alpha_2## and ##\alpha_3## to be conjugates, you would only have two degrees of freedom available.

Well, except this was supposed to be the case for all ##\beta##. If the expression is real for all ##\beta## then ##a_2## and ##a_3## must be conjugates.

PeroK said:
Well, except this was supposed to be the case for all ##\beta##. If the expression is real for all ##\beta## then ##a_2## and ##a_3## must be conjugates.
Oops, sorry, I missed that! In that case, I agree: consider ##\beta = i##.

jbunniii said:

If we write ##v = a_3 - \bar{a_2}## your condition is that ##\beta v = \overline{\beta v}##, so ##\beta v = ## real for all ##|\beta| \leq 1##. Write ##\beta = r e^{i t}## and ##v = R e^{i w}##. If ##rR \neq 0## this implies ##e^{i(t+w)} =## real for all ##w \in [0, 2 \pi)##, so ##\sin(t+w) = 0## for all ##t##. Do you think that is possible?

Last edited:

Related to Can Complex Variables Always Yield a Real Expression?

1. When is the expression considered real?

The expression is considered real when it accurately represents something in the physical world or follows logical rules and principles.

2. How can I tell if an expression is real or not?

An expression can be considered real if it can be observed, measured, or proven through evidence or logical reasoning.

3. What is the difference between a real and an unreal expression?

A real expression is based on facts and can be verified, while an unreal expression is based on imagination or false information.

4. Can an expression be partially real and partially unreal?

Yes, an expression can have elements that are considered real and others that are not. It is important to evaluate the evidence and logic behind each part of the expression to determine its overall validity.

5. Is the concept of "real" subjective or objective?

The concept of "real" can be both subjective and objective. Some things may be considered real to one person but not to another, while other things may have a universally accepted definition of being real based on evidence and logic.

Back