Can Cosine Terms in Differential Equations Disrupt Limit Cycle Construction?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Dustinsfl
  • Start date
In summary, constructing a limit cycle in a system with a cosine term can be challenging, but there are several approaches you can try, such as using the method of averaging, numerical methods for periodic systems, or rewriting equations in polar coordinates.
Dustinsfl
Code:
s = NDSolve[{x'[t] == y[t], 
   y'[t] == -x[t] - .2*2*y[t] - .2*x[t]^3 + 3*.2*Cos[t], x[0] == 1, 
   y[0] == 2}, {x, y}, {t, 100}]ParametricPlot[Evaluate[{x[t], y[t] /. s}], {t, 0, 100}]

So I have a plane autonomous system but there is a $\cos t$ in the ODEs. I would use this code to construct a limit cycle but I think having a $\cos t$ in the ODE is messing it up. How can I proceed?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there,

First of all, great job on using NDSolve to solve your system of differential equations! As you mentioned, having a cosine term in your equations can make it difficult to construct a limit cycle. However, there are a few approaches you can try to overcome this challenge.

One option is to use the method of averaging, which involves taking the average of the rapidly varying term (in this case, the cosine term) over one period and replacing it with a constant. This can simplify your equations and make it easier to analyze the system.

Another approach is to use numerical methods specifically designed for systems with periodic or oscillatory behavior, such as the Runge-Kutta-Fehlberg method or the Bulirsch-Stoer method. These methods can handle the oscillations caused by the cosine term and provide accurate solutions.

Lastly, you can also try to rewrite your equations in terms of polar coordinates, where the cosine term can be expressed as a sine term. This can also simplify your equations and make it easier to analyze the system.

I hope these suggestions are helpful in tackling the challenge of constructing a limit cycle in your system. Best of luck with your research!

Related to Can Cosine Terms in Differential Equations Disrupt Limit Cycle Construction?

1. What is NDSolve and how does it work?

NDSolve is a function in Mathematica that is used to numerically solve differential equations. It uses numerical methods to find approximate solutions to differential equations that cannot be solved analytically. It works by breaking down the problem into smaller steps and using numerical algorithms to approximate the solution at each step.

2. How do I use NDSolve to solve a differential equation?

To use NDSolve, you first need to define the differential equation you want to solve and provide any initial conditions. Then, you can use the NDSolve function, specifying the differential equation and initial conditions as arguments. NDSolve will return a solution that you can then plot or manipulate.

3. What is ParametricPlot and how is it different from regular plotting?

ParametricPlot is a function in Mathematica that is used to plot curves and surfaces defined by parametric equations. It is different from regular plotting because it allows you to specify the x and y coordinates of a point as functions of a third variable, rather than just plotting a function of x or y.

4. How do I use ParametricPlot to plot a parametric curve or surface?

To use ParametricPlot, you first need to define the parametric equations for the curve or surface you want to plot. Then, you can use the ParametricPlot function, specifying the equations as arguments. You can also specify the range of the parameter and add options for styling the plot.

5. Can NDSolve and ParametricPlot be used together?

Yes, NDSolve and ParametricPlot can be used together. You can use NDSolve to find the solution to a differential equation and then use ParametricPlot to visualize the solution as a parametric curve or surface. This can be useful for understanding the behavior of a system described by a differential equation.