Can dark energy be converted into dark mass?

In summary, dark energy and dark mass are elusive and difficult to detect, as they do not interact with other matter and do not behave like traditional forms of energy or mass. Dark mass, specifically, is distinguished by its inability to interact with photons, while non-dark mass can. However, dark energy cannot be simply categorized as a form of mass, as it behaves differently under the influence of gravity.
pentazoid
I assumed Dark energy is no exception to Einstein famous energy equation. What would dark mass look like, I mean besides it having the quality of darkness? What would distinguish dark mass from non-dark mass?

Space news on Phys.org
dark mass comprises elusive objects such as WIMPS, which do not interact with other matter, and are thus undetectable by current means.

pentazoid said:
I assumed Dark energy is no exception to Einstein famous energy equation. What would dark mass look like, I mean besides it having the quality of darkness? What would distinguish dark mass from non-dark mass?

This is incorrect. Don't be fooled by the fact that energy is in the name; Dark energy certainly isn't similar to the kind of energy we're normally used to (be it mass or pure energy). It's merely the name given to whatever is causing the acceleration of the universal expansion.

pentazoid said:
"Dark" doesn't interact with photons, so we can't see it. Non-dark mass does interact with photons, so we can. Of course, as Nabeshin mentions, dark energy isn't easily understood as simply being some stuff with mass. It behaves rather differently in how it responds to gravity due to its pressure.

FAQ: Can dark energy be converted into dark mass?

1. Can dark energy and dark mass be converted into each other?

No, dark energy and dark mass are two distinct components of the universe that cannot be converted into each other. Dark energy is a hypothetical form of energy that is believed to be causing the expansion of the universe, while dark mass, also known as dark matter, is a form of matter that does not interact with light and is responsible for the gravitational effects observed in galaxies.

2. Is it possible for dark energy to be harnessed or used as a source of energy?

No, dark energy is not a source of energy that can be harnessed or used in any way. It is a fundamental property of space itself and cannot be manipulated or controlled by humans.

3. Can scientists create dark mass in a laboratory or through experiments?

No, dark mass is a theoretical concept and has not been observed or created in a laboratory. Its existence is inferred from the gravitational effects it has on visible matter in the universe.

4. Are there any proposed methods for converting dark energy into other forms of energy?

Currently, there are no proposed methods or theories on how to convert dark energy into other forms of energy. As dark energy is still not fully understood, it is not possible to speculate on its potential for conversion into other forms of energy.

5. Can dark energy and dark mass be destroyed or eliminated?

Dark energy and dark mass are fundamental components of the universe and cannot be destroyed or eliminated. They are believed to have existed since the beginning of the universe and will continue to exist as long as the universe exists.