Can Diamonds Be Broken by a Hammer?

• Thread starter koolraj09
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Broken
In summary, diamonds are the hardest material found but also reasonably brittle. They can be broken by a hammer if they have major flaws, but for the purpose of shaping, a diamond saw or laser is typically used. The cutting process involves exploiting the diamond's cleavage and using a sharp metal tool to rough out the desired shape. This process is further explained on Wikipedia.
koolraj09
Hello all.
I was inquisitive whether a diamond can be broken by a hammer. I think it can be, because diamond is the most hardest material found, and hence the most brittle which can crack when hit by a tough and comparably hard material.
If I am wrong can someone highlight how diamonds are cut to give desired shape?
Thanks for your Help :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
if the diamond has major flaws (most of the natural diamonds do I believe), shattering it with a hammer shouldn't be too difficult.

As to produce desired shape, I think you can do that with laser

Diamond saw.

Well, I used to cut gems as a hobby (never diamond, but I read books covering this). Note that diamonds are reasonably brittle, but there is no general law that says something that is hard (resists scratching) must be brittle. There are substances much harder than sapphire that are also much tougher (opposite of brittle) than sapphire. Diamond crystals a have good cleavage. The crystal will break cleanly along certain planes. A sharp metal tool hit with moderate force is used to 'rough' out a size and shape exploiting cleavage. I was about to explain more about the process after cleaving, but found that wikipedia has a good description (note the point about hardness variation with crystal orientation; the process would be much less practical without this):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond_cutting

I can confirm that diamonds can indeed be broken by a hammer. While diamonds are the hardest material found in nature, they are also brittle and can shatter under certain conditions. In fact, diamond cutters use specialized tools and techniques to carefully cut and shape diamonds without causing them to break. This involves using precise angles and a combination of heat, pressure, and abrasion to create the desired shape. So while a hammer may be able to break a diamond, it is not the preferred method for cutting and shaping these precious gems. I hope this helps clarify the properties and uses of diamonds.

Related to Can Diamonds Be Broken by a Hammer?

1. Can diamonds actually be broken by a hammer?

Yes, diamonds can be broken by a hammer, but it depends on the type of hammer and the amount of force applied. Diamonds are the hardest natural substance on Earth, scoring a 10 on the Mohs scale of mineral hardness. However, they are not indestructible and can be fractured or shattered if enough force is applied in the right direction.

2. How much force is needed to break a diamond with a hammer?

The amount of force needed to break a diamond with a hammer varies depending on the type of diamond and the strength of the hammer. It is estimated that it would take anywhere from 2,000 to 10,000 Newtons of force to break a diamond, which is equivalent to 450-2,250 pounds of force.

3. What type of hammer is best for breaking diamonds?

A sledgehammer or a heavy-duty claw hammer would be the most effective for breaking diamonds. The heavier the hammer and the stronger the force applied, the higher the chances of breaking the diamond. However, keep in mind that it is still not easy to break a diamond with a hammer due to its incredible hardness.

4. Can diamonds be scratched or chipped by a hammer?

Yes, diamonds can be scratched or chipped by a hammer if enough force is applied in the right direction. This is because diamonds are not only hard but also brittle, meaning they can break or chip under pressure. It is important to handle diamonds carefully and avoid hitting them with a hammer or any other hard object.

5. Is it possible to break a diamond with just one strike of a hammer?

While it is possible to break a diamond with one strike of a hammer, it is unlikely to happen. As mentioned earlier, diamonds are incredibly hard and require a significant amount of force to break. It is more likely that the diamond will chip or fracture rather than shatter into multiple pieces with just one strike of a hammer.

Back