Can DIY Aluminum Air Batteries Compete with Commercial Fuel Cells for Home Use?

• Thread starter Oxieee
  • Start date
In summary, all the batteries you mentioned have some limitations. Al/air batteries are the most promising, but they would be expensive and difficult to make. Lead acid batteries will still be in use for a long time, but they may become more expensive over time.
Oxieee
I have been looking for a suitable battery unit for a medium car. I've done some research but am confused about the following 2 :

1)))))Aluminum Air battery - is it possible to make one at home anyhow having higher than 150Wh/Kg?
Actual is 1300 (practical), 6000/8000 (theoretical) W·h/kg...this is amazingly dense but would be awfully expensive and being only primary id better make 1 at home end recycle Al.

2))))) alkali fuel cell. the cell is cheaply made(hopefully available), and hydrogen i can produce endless at home. only prob is if there is another fuel alternative for the cell (eg. Liquid) it wold be like a piece of cake to store and recycle. Is there any liquid kinda substitute for Hydrogen gas?

All i want is something is can process/produce at home having hopefully over 200Wh/Kg...Thankz

Engineering news on Phys.org
Unless you have a lot of experience building batteries, fuel cells, or super capacitors, you're not going to hit 150Wh/kg with any kind of battery except maybe lithium-air. What kind of facilities do you have in your home? Do you have a clean room along with all the basic chemical equipment such as a fume hood, oven, hot press, mixers, etc?

Don't you think one (or all) of the major car makers would use Li-air if it was possible? I suspect that any metal-air battery technology would have severe cycle limitations. You cannot make batteries at home that would come close to commercially made ones. You also cannot make practical fuel-cells in your home.

sorry for late reply...no i have almost no experience but yes i would like to earn some...basically i was looking forward to these batteries potential. Although the whole idea is improbable, i believe its worth a try for innovations sake.
as might k,normally 1 can get his car converted into an electric hybrid for under $4000-having a range of 40miles ( using lead acid batteries).
But the fact is that in early early 1900's you could gt yourself a phaeton with range of 18miles for as little as $2000 ALSO running on lead acid batteries.
The difference is that now its commercial, and i suppose back then it was made as part of revolution.
We all agree that energy from radioactive materials can be drawn for more than a decade without any energy in or repairs(such as betavoltic cell used in pacemakers).Have a look at this article http://www.nextenergynews.com/news1/next-energy-news-betavoltaic-10.1.html"
It is settle that this is possible and technology is among us.Notice its last line " will be in shelves within 2-3 years" you right. The truth of the matter is we won't see them commercially for the next decades.right now just the military has started using it practically so we can forget having it for our 30yrs laptops. Same way if Li/air batteries are any good we won't see them quick in market until it is exactly the way our normal lives are with ICE.

Now if Al/air batteries have shown 1300Wh/kg and theoretical is up to 8000Wh/kg ( WOW ) its worth a try..ALSO THE aluminum COULD BE RECYCLED EXTERNALLY therapeutically no cycle reduction, just like Zinc/air rechargeable batteries are being tested having uncompromisable cycles again the commercial batteries.http://www.technologyreview.com/business/23812/"

The point is that commercially things would reach us late and expensive. we could all agree that the combination of natures technology are limitless, yet FOR MORE THAN A CENTURY we have been using lead acid batteries despite all development and breakthroughs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Can DIY Aluminum Air Batteries Compete with Commercial Fuel Cells for Home Use?

1. What is the difference between an Al/air battery and a fuel cell?

An Al/air battery is a type of battery that uses aluminum as the anode and oxygen from the air as the cathode, while a fuel cell is a device that converts the chemical energy of a fuel directly into electricity. In other words, an Al/air battery is a type of battery, while a fuel cell is a type of energy conversion device.

2. Which one is more efficient, an Al/air battery or a fuel cell?

It is difficult to compare the efficiency of an Al/air battery and a fuel cell, as efficiency can depend on various factors such as the materials used and the operating conditions. Generally, fuel cells are considered to be more efficient than batteries, but Al/air batteries have the potential for high energy density, making them more efficient in terms of energy storage.

3. Are there any environmental benefits to using an Al/air battery over a fuel cell?

Yes, there are environmental benefits to using an Al/air battery over a fuel cell. Al/air batteries do not emit any greenhouse gases or pollutants, making them a more environmentally friendly option. Additionally, aluminum is a widely available and recyclable material, making Al/air batteries more sustainable compared to fuel cells which may require rare or expensive materials.

4. Can an Al/air battery be used in the same applications as a fuel cell?

No, Al/air batteries and fuel cells are designed for different applications. Al/air batteries are typically used in applications that require high energy density, such as powering electric vehicles or portable electronic devices. Fuel cells, on the other hand, are often used in stationary power generation for buildings or in transportation as a replacement for internal combustion engines.

5. Which one is more cost-effective, an Al/air battery or a fuel cell?

The cost-effectiveness of an Al/air battery or a fuel cell can vary depending on the specific application and technology used. Generally, fuel cells tend to be more expensive due to the materials and components required, while Al/air batteries may have a lower cost due to the abundance and recyclability of aluminum. However, this can also depend on the cost of electricity and the price of fuel in a particular region.