Can Dry Ice Be an Effective Heat Sink for High-Power Electromagnets?

• Thread starter Larry
  • Start date
In summary, It is acceptable to quote paragraphs from a patent if it is well documented and uses line integrals.
Larry
I would like to meet people interested in Physics and discuss ideas with them.
Graduated from a Community College. Studied computer programming.
Also, had some exposure to electronics. Took Physics of Energy.

Right now, I am working on a high-power electromagnet with a friend who has 40 years
experience as an electronics technician. Input: 455W Output: 1.0x10^5 VA. We're
taking 0.65A (input) and using a parallel anti-resonant circuit to amplify it to 150A. The input
voltage is 700VAC at 60hz. Thinking about using a bath of dry ice as a heat sink for the
input power. (Looking for people who would like to share their experience with heat sinks.)

If you'd like to know more about this project, or would like to get more acquainted, send
me a note. Would sure like to hear from you!

Larry

Physics news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
Welcome to PF Larry!

Thank you, Greg!

If you didn't receive my questions in the last conversation I sent you, that's ok.

The only one I really needed answered was how to click on "Forums" and go to a thread
that I am interested in.

When I clicked on "Forums," there was no way to go to:
Physics>Quantum Mechanics.

How can I get there or to any other forum?

Larry said:
Thank you, Greg!

If you didn't receive my questions in the last conversation I sent you, that's ok.

The only one I really needed answered was how to click on "Forums" and go to a thread
that I am interested in.

When I clicked on "Forums," there was no way to go to:
Physics>Quantum Mechanics.

How can I get there or to any other forum?
Are you saying that when you click on "Forums" Or "Physics Forums" and get to the main page that none of the links you click on work?

Evo said:
Are you saying that when you click on "Forums" Or "Physics Forums" and get to the main page that none of the links you click on work?

Thank you for your reply, Evo.
I figured out how to get to the main page and select a forum.

But, now I have another important question:
How do you start conversations? I tried info/help and there was nothing there.

Larry said:
Thank you for your reply, Evo.
I figured out how to get to the main page and select a forum.

But, now I have another important question:
How do you start conversations? I tried info/help and there was nothing there.
Hi Larry, First you need to read our rules here

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/physics-forums-global-guidelines.414380/

because we do not allow discussions of just anything. We stick to mainstream peer reviewed science found in certain peer reviewed journals and textbooks. Personal theories are not allowed.

You start a thread the same way you did here. Once you open the forum you wish to ask a question in, you will see a large blue button at the top right "Post New Thread". Click on that.

This will open a new thread called "Create Thread"

Enter your title in the Title box and post your question in the dialogue box underneath.

Then hit "Create".

Good Luck! Feel free to ask if you have more questions. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
Hi Larry, First you need to read our rules here https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/hello-i-am-a-new-member.913290/#post-5753974 because we do not allow discussions of just anything. We stick to mainstream peer reviewed science found in certain peer reviewed journals and textbooks. Personal theories are not allowed.

You start a thread the same way you did here. Once you open the forum you wish to ask a question in, you will see a large blue button at the top right "Post New Thread". Click on that.

This will open a new thread called "Create Thread"

Enter your title in the Title box and post your question in the dialogue box underneath.

Then hit "Create".

Good Luck! Feel free to ask if you have more questions. :smile:

Thank you much Evo! I have some more questions.

I clicked two different times on the link you provided, but it didn't take me to the rules.
It returned me here to the conversations. Sorry if I'm dense, but can you try the link
and see if goes to the rules? Please give more detailed instructions on how to find
them.

Was able to go to a forum and create a thread and post my question. However,
what I most wanted to know was how to start this kind of a conversation:

I want to be able to write someone privately, not posting publically on a thread.
Can you tell me how to do this?

Doing some research about amplifying magnetic fields. I found a patent. Is it
acceptable to quote paragraphs from it? It is well documented and uses line integrals.
Does it have to refer to peer reviewed articles to be acceptable?

I appreciate your help.

Larry

Larry said:
I clicked two different times on the link you provided, but it didn't take me to the rules.
It returned me here to the conversations. Sorry if I'm dense, but can you try the link
and see if goes to the rules? Please give more detailed instructions on how to find
them.
Go to INFO at the top of the page and click on Terms and Rules.
Larry said:
I want to be able to write someone privately, not posting publically on a thread.
Can you tell me how to do this?
It is generally against the PF rules to send unsolicited questions to other members in PMs. Post in the open forums please.
Larry said:
Doing some research about amplifying magnetic fields. I found a patent. Is it
acceptable to quote paragraphs from it? It is well documented and uses line integrals.
To avoid copyright issues, post the link to the source and quote a paragraph or two. That is generally fine under Fair Use laws. :smile:

Larry said:
It returned me here to the conversations.
I've fixed the link in Evo's post now. :smile:

Larry said:
I found a patent. Is it
On the question about patents, we have found some bad patents that have been granted, but in general it should be okay to refer to it. If there is a problem with the validity of the patent, the Mentors will let you know.

berkeman said:
On the question about patents, we have found some bad patents that have been granted, but in general it should be okay to refer to it. If there is a problem with the validity of the patent, the Mentors will let you know.

Thank you for answering my questions.

Do you recommend that I come here if info/help does not answer my
general questions (questions that are not scientific, but something
staff can answer)?

Thanks again.

Larry said:
Thank you for answering my questions.

Do you recommend that I come here if info/help does not answer my
general questions (questions that are not scientific, but something
staff can answer)?

Thanks again.
If you have questions about the rules, you can post them here in this thread or start a new thread here in the Feedback forum. Either way should work. :smile:

Larry said:
Right now, I am working on a high-power electromagnet with a friend who has 40 years
experience as an electronics technician. Input: 455W Output: 1.0x10^5 VA.
Well your friend has a lot of trouble doing math. Maybe you should suggest that they go back to school.

Likes CalcNerd and dlgoff
Hi Larry,
You will find people here who are interested in physics, ranging form 'just curious', to leading physicist in their field.
Best way to begin is to ask a question about something which is a puzzle for you.
Here is some stuff to look at., though (maybe best to skip the first 20m of handshaking stuff).

Last edited:
berkeman said:
Well your friend has a lot of trouble doing math. Maybe you should suggest that they go back to school.

Thank you for your comment. It is always stimulating to hear other viewpoints.

(Please forgive me, I have not yet learned Latex; I want to try the Tutorial soon. Also, I need to learn how to organize my data
in a more efficient way.)

The input ac current is 0.65A. 0.65 (232=Q) = 150A. Current circulating in the tank circuit.

Input voltage = 700Vac. Input power = 0.65 (700) = 455W. Power in the Tank circuit = Pin (Q) = 455(232) = 1.00x10^5 VA reactive.

Or, 700V (150A) = 1.00x10^5 VA reactive.

Remember, this is a parallel resonant circuit. But, there is no resistor in parallel with the tank circuit.
The impedance at resonance is the resistance of the conductors and that of the coil in the tank circuit.

BTW, the Q was calculated as the inductive reactance divided by the resistance of the coil.

Is this better?

Larry

Larry said:
Thank you for your comment. It is always stimulating to hear other viewpoints.

(Please forgive me, I have not yet learned Latex; I want to try the Tutorial soon. Also, I need to learn how to organize my data
in a more efficient way.)

The input ac current is 0.65A. 0.65 (232=Q) = 150A. Current circulating in the tank circuit.

Input voltage = 700Vac. Input power = 0.65 (700) = 455W. Power in the Tank circuit = Pin (Q) = 455(232) = 1.00x10^5 VA reactive.

Or, 700V (150A) = 1.00x10^5 VA reactive.

Remember, this is a parallel resonant circuit. But, there is no resistor in parallel with the tank circuit.
The impedance at resonance is the resistance of the conductors and that of the coil in the tank circuit.

BTW, the Q was calculated as the inductive reactance divided by the resistance of the coil.

Is this better?

Larry
Sorry, no. It doesn't help.

This thread has kind of been all over the place, starting as a New Member Introduction thread, then it got complicated enough that it got moved to the Feedback forum. Now we are starting a technical discussion, which doesn't fit the Feedback forum.

I've locked this thread for now. Please start a new thread in the Electrical Engineering forum if you want to start a technical discussion about electromagnets. However, this:
Larry said:
experience as an electronics technician. Input: 455W Output: 1.0x10^5 VA.
Does not bode well. If you are trying to discuss an Energy Generation Mechanism like an Over-Unity Device, that is not allowed at the PF. Over-Unity Devices and Perpetual Motion Machines are Forbidden Topics here.

If OTOH, you are just using confusing terminology or misunderstanding how energy works at resonance, that can be a useful discussion.

Likes CalcNerd

FAQ: Can Dry Ice Be an Effective Heat Sink for High-Power Electromagnets?

1. What is your background as a new member?

As a new member, I have a background in [insert relevant field/interest]. I am excited to learn more about [insert specific topic/field] and contribute to the scientific community.

2. What inspired you to join this community?

I have always been interested in [insert field/topic] and I wanted to connect with others who share the same passion. I also hope to learn from and collaborate with other scientists in this community.

3. What are your goals as a new member?

My main goal as a new member is to expand my knowledge and skills in [insert field/topic] and contribute to ongoing research and discussions. I also hope to build relationships with other members and potentially collaborate on projects in the future.

4. What kind of questions do you have as a new member?

I have questions about the community's current research, ongoing projects, and any opportunities for me to get involved. I also have questions about how I can contribute and participate in discussions and events.

5. How do you plan on making the most out of your membership?

I plan on actively engaging with other members, participating in discussions and events, and staying up-to-date on the latest research and developments in the community. I also hope to contribute my own insights and ideas to further advance the field.

Back