Can Eating Zimbabwean Chillis Cause Severe Burns?

• Thread starter _Mayday_
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the intense pain caused by eating hot chilis and the various remedies that can help alleviate it. Some suggestions include eating fatty foods like cheese and yogurt, rinsing the mouth with cold milk or sugar solutions, and even visiting a doctor if the pain is severe. The group also discusses their love for spicy food and how they have built up a tolerance for it over time.
_Mayday_
Hey, keep it brief.

I have just eaten two small chillis and it is killing my throat and tongue. How the hell do I stop it, I've scratched my eye and it has gone blood red. Help me out guys it bloody aches!

_Mayday_ (Quite literally)

Physics news on Phys.org
Putting a spoonful of sugar on your tongue and letting it dissolve can help with the throat/mouth problem. As for your eye, I'd recommend flushing it with warm salt water. A visit to your doctor might also be in the offing.

Tried milk, not work.

I will try this. thns

I have been bitten by habanero chilies while making my chili relishes, etc. I have tried some remedies, but time seems to be the best healer. Sorry.

_Mayday_ said:
Hey, keep it brief.

I have just eaten two small chillis and it is killing my throat and tongue. How the hell do I stop it, I've scratched my eye and it has gone blood red. Help me out guys it bloody aches!

Be careful, turbo's innards have been replaced with solid steel. You may be more sensitive. I've had to give up hot stuff for now, I have a scarred esophagus, among other things, and eating anything is painful, but even raw onions now are too painful to swallow. :frown:

It's gone, I'm such an idiot. Trying to be macho in the kitchen, nothing worked, I just had to bhe patient and drink lots or water with a few seconds in between sips. How the hell do people like it when its that hot?

I can take spicy, two of these little monsters and I am out though.

_Mayday_ said:
I can take spicy, two of these little monsters and I am out though.
You have to gradually build up a tolerance over time.

Will red ring ensue? I'm a hide fan of indian cuisine, I don't know the names of it all but I do like a hot curry every now and again.

Evo said:
I have a scarred esophagus

Wow... me too. You're the only other person that I've heard of who had that.

_Mayday_ said:
It's gone, I'm such an idiot. Trying to be macho in the kitchen, nothing worked, I just had to bhe patient and drink lots or water with a few seconds in between sips. How the hell do people like it when its that hot?

Your pain isn't over yet. :devil: What goes in must come out.

A scarred esophagus? That doesn't sound good for a chili-head like me. I have been splitting and stacking firewood all day, and I'm thinking about forgoing anything complex for supper. Looks like fried hot dogs and rolls in butter with habanero relish, horseradish, raw vidalia onions, and yellow mustard for me. Mmm. Ought to go good with a Molson.

Last edited:
_Mayday_ said:
Hey, keep it brief.

What are you complaining about. Enjoy the experience - relish the fire! :biggrin:

If it's too much some salty crackers and yoghurt would ease the burn, or an olive oil based salad dressing.

Astronuc said:
What are you complaining about. Enjoy the experience - relish the fire! :biggrin:

If it's too much some salty crackers and yoghurt would ease the burn, or an olive oil based salad dressing.

I remember the time Astro helped me, hells teeth my goo lies were in the devils kitchen, he is still my number one hero

Astronuc said:

Astro has a good point.. The reason is that most of the heat in chilis comes from capsaicin which is fat soluable. Yoghurt, a piece of cheese, any food containing oil will cut the heat by diluting the capsaicin. It is hydrophobic, so water (water soluable drinks) won't wash away the acute burning sensation.

However, once you are burned, that's a physical injury akin to that suffered after eating scalding soup (tomato, potato and any chowder comes to mind). Under those circumstances, I agree with Turbo, time is the best healer.

See this ref for additional food for thought.

Yep! Once the damage is done, time is the mediator. When the active ingredients are still in your mouth and working away, it may help to have some fatty foods like cheese, cream, whole milk, etc to pull some of that, but once you have gotten overloaded (burned) you'll have to ride it out. Especially when sensitive areas and mucous membranes are involved.

Ouabache said:
Astro has a good point.. The reason is that most of the heat in chilis comes from capsaicin which is fat soluable. Yoghurt, a piece of cheese, any food containing oil will cut the heat by diluting the capsaicin. It is hydrophobic, so water (water soluable drinks) won't wash away the acute burning sensation.
Butter could work, but ice cream would be better with the coldness in addition to the creamy texture and sweet taste.

Ways to reduce burning sensations produced by capsaicin

It has been shown that rinsing the mouth with cold solutions of whole milk or sucrose reduces burning produced by capsaicin (Nasrawi & Pangborn 1990). That cold temperatures successfully reduce mouth-burn demonstrates that decreased temperature can inhibit capsaicin C fibers. Furthermore, that return of the burning sensation followed after rinsing suggests that capsaicin binds tightly to its receptors since it does not wash away with solutions in which it is soluble (Nasrawi & Pangborn 1990). For example, capsaicin is hydrophobic and dissolves readily in ethanol. Mouth-rinsing with 5 0.000000e+00thanol, however, provided no more relief from the burning than luke warm water did (Nasrawi & Pangborn 1990). This suggests that capsaicin binding may cause conformational changes in the receptor that ethanol cannot reverse. That whole milk was more effective than skim milk in reducing mouth-burn indicates that fat may be important in sensing burn. Sucrose is a gustatory and not a trigeminal stimulus. Therefore, mechanisms proposed to account for the reduction of burn by sucrose include the following: 1) sucrose induces the secretion of a protein-rich saliva that protects nociceptors, 2) sweet gustatory stimulation inhibits substance P release, and 3) sucrose stimulates the release of endogenous opiates (Nasrawi & Pangborn 1990).
http://sulcus.berkeley.edu/mcb/165_001/papers/manuscripts/_209.html

That's a great site that Ouabache cited. It explains why I enjoy ginger, as well as hot peppers. I love ginger beer, but most are too mild. I like ginger beer with a burn, the stronger the better.

Last edited by a moderator:
They were from Zimbabwe. Didn't even know Zimbabwe grew them in mass.

Related to Can Eating Zimbabwean Chillis Cause Severe Burns?

1. How does chilli burn relief work?

Chilli burn relief works by neutralizing the chemical compound called capsaicin, which is responsible for the burning sensation in chilli peppers. This can be achieved through various methods such as applying a cooling agent, such as milk or yogurt, or using a topical cream containing ingredients like lidocaine or menthol.

2. What are some natural remedies for chilli burn relief?

Some natural remedies for chilli burn relief include applying a paste of baking soda and water, rubbing a slice of lemon or lime on the affected area, or using aloe vera gel. These methods can help to soothe the burning sensation and reduce inflammation.

3. How long does it take for chilli burn relief to work?

The length of time it takes for chilli burn relief to work can vary depending on the severity of the burn and the method used. Generally, topical creams or cooling agents can provide immediate relief, while natural remedies may take a bit longer to take effect.

4. Can chilli burn relief be harmful?

In most cases, chilli burn relief is not harmful. However, if you have any open wounds or cuts on the affected area, it is important to avoid using any harsh chemicals or ingredients that may cause further irritation. It is always best to consult with a healthcare professional if you have any concerns or experience severe reactions.

5. What are some tips for preventing chilli burn?

To prevent chilli burn, it is important to take precautions when handling and cooking with chilli peppers. This can include wearing gloves, avoiding touching your face or sensitive areas while handling peppers, and thoroughly washing your hands and utensils after use. Additionally, removing the seeds and white membrane from the peppers can help to reduce the intensity of the burn.