Can Excel Help Me Find When a Particle is on the Right of the Centre?

• Thread starter 24forChromium
  • Start date
  • Tags
    excel
In summary, Excel can help you plot a curve and find the position of a particle over time, but it may be inaccurate because of spikes in the data.
24forChromium
I should probably be asking Excel's programmers, but I have been lucky in this forum lately; here is what I got going on:

I have a data table composed of two variables: time and angular velocity of a particle around a centre point.

Time is just 0.0, 0.1, 0.2 (in seconds) and so on.

Angular velocity is given once every 0.1 second in Radians/second. The angular velocity generally decreases but there are small spikes going up and down.

What I want to do is that I want to know when will the particle be in a position where it is on the right of (or 0 degrees in relation to) the centre.

My calculus is mediocre, but I think what I need to do is to plot the angular velocity over time on a graph, and then add the area under the curve into blocks of 2π, at the edge of each block would be the point in time where the particle is in the desired position, but there isn't a simple function describing the motion of the particle that I can integrate (due to the spikes) and the data set is kind of big, so I am just wondering if there's any way to get those points in time easily.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can keep adding (time difference*angular velocity), which is the rotation angle in each time step, until your sum exceeds 2 pi, 4 pi and so on.
If you think those spikes are measurement errors, it might be useful to smoothen the distribution in some way (that depends on the data source).

mfb said:
You can keep adding (time difference*angular velocity), which is the rotation angle in each time step, until your sum exceeds 2 pi, 4 pi and so on.
If you think those spikes are measurement errors, it might be useful to smoothen the distribution in some way (that depends on the data source).
I could have done that, but that would take way too long, and it feels like it goes against the purpose of having technology.

What do you mean with "way too long"? Excel does the calculations for you, of course.

mfb said:
What do you mean with "way too long"? Excel does the calculations for you, of course.
I guess I didn't get what you were saying, so are you telling me that there is a way to make excel add things up and every time it hits a new "threshold" of 2nπ it tells me?

Calculate the incremental angular position using a 'do until' loop .

Test on angular position >= 2 pi .

Sure. You can add a third column next to your data and add those values up, and a fourth one to check where n*2pi has been exceeded.

Likes 24forChromium
24forChromium said:
I could have done that, but that would take way too long, and it feels like it goes against the purpose of having technology.
Don't look now, but Excel (and the computer to run it) is "technology". "Technology" is no good to anyone if it just sits on the shelf and remains unused ...

SteamKing said:
Don't look now, but Excel (and the computer to run it) is "technology". "Technology" is no good to anyone if it just sits on the shelf and remains unused ...
I don't get what you are trying to say or what is the significance of this to my problem.

24forChromium said:
I don't get what you are trying to say or what is the significance of this to my problem.
People smooth data all the time. There's no shame in it, unless you fiddle with the data to make it come to a pre-determined conclusion.

SteamKing said:
People smooth data all the time. There's no shame in it, unless you fiddle with the data to make it come to a pre-determined conclusion.
okay, I see.

FAQ: Can Excel Help Me Find When a Particle is on the Right of the Centre?

1. How can I create a drop-down list in Excel?

To create a drop-down list in Excel, follow these steps:
1. Select the cell where you want the drop-down list to be.
2. Go to the Data tab and click on Data Validation.
3. In the Settings tab, select "List" in the Allow drop-down menu.
4. In the Source field, type in the items you want in your drop-down list, separated by commas.
5. Click OK and your drop-down list will be created.

2. How can I add a formula in Excel?

To add a formula in Excel, follow these steps:
1. Select the cell where you want the formula to be.
2. Type the equal sign (=) to start the formula.
3. Enter the formula using cell references, mathematical operators, and functions.
4. Press Enter to see the result.
5. You can also use the Insert Function button in the Formula bar to search and insert a specific function.

3. How can I freeze rows or columns in Excel?

To freeze rows or columns in Excel, follow these steps:
1. Select the row or column that you want to freeze.
2. Go to the View tab and click on Freeze Panes in the Window section.
3. In the drop-down menu, select "Freeze Panes" to freeze the selected row(s) and column(s).
4. You can also choose "Freeze Top Row" or "Freeze First Column" to only freeze the top row or first column.
5. To unfreeze, go back to the Freeze Panes drop-down menu and select "Unfreeze Panes".

4. How can I protect cells in Excel?

To protect cells in Excel, follow these steps:
1. Select the cells that you want to protect.
2. Go to the Review tab and click on Protect Sheet in the Changes section.
3. In the Protect Sheet dialog box, you can set a password to protect the cells.
4. You can also choose specific actions that users are allowed to do on the protected cells.
5. Click OK and the cells will be protected. To unprotect, go back to the Protect Sheet dialog box and enter the password (if set) to unprotect.

5. How can I create a chart in Excel?

To create a chart in Excel, follow these steps:
1. Select the data that you want to include in the chart.
2. Go to the Insert tab and click on Recommended Charts in the Charts section.
3. Choose a chart type from the Recommended Charts tab or go to the All Charts tab to see more options.
4. Click on the chart that you want to insert.
5. You can also customize the chart by right-clicking on it and selecting "Chart Type" to change the chart type or "Format Chart Area" to change the design and layout.

Back