Can General Relativity and Quantum Field Theory Be Reconciled?

In summary, the conversation was about the compatibility of QFT and GR and how they cannot both be correct. It was suggested that one theory is better suited for low energy large scale predictions and the other for small scale high energies. The speaker also expressed a curiosity about black holes, M theory, and the insights of experts, but acknowledged the importance of proper punctuation and grammar in communication."
Megaton
New member has been reminded to use good punctuation and paragraphs in the forums.
Please don't kill me here...I am really just a curious creature...QFT and GR are mutually incapabatable ergo they cannot both be correct...so best is that one is used for low energy large scale predictions (as per theory) and small scale high energies ( as part theory) ...(BTW I know what the term theory means I really am not a crack pot)...just wondering what in sight there is to any inificacation in black holes or m theory or what...really just curious...just not sure who to ask...like Socrates said I trust the experts (and I really do)...just wondering...experts could I talk to you...ask some questions

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
By the way @Megaton, people are more likely to read your posts if you punctuate them correctly. Begin each sentence with a capital letter, end with a single period (full stop), not three, and use commas mid-sentence (not three periods).

From our rules:

Language:
All posts must be in English. Posts in other languages will be deleted. Pay reasonable attention to written English communication standards. This includes the use of proper grammatical structure, punctuation, capitalization, spacing, and spelling. In particular, "I" is capitalized, there's a space after (but not before) a comma, a period, and other punctuation. Multiple exclamation marks are also discouraged. SMS messaging shorthand ("text-message-speak"), such as using "u" for "you", "please" for "please", or "wanna" for "want to" is not acceptable.​

Likes berkeman and davenn
Define "Incapabatable", "correct" and "inificacation".

Related to Can General Relativity and Quantum Field Theory Be Reconciled?

What is general relativity?

General relativity is a theory of gravity developed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century. It describes how mass and energy interact with the fabric of space and time, known as spacetime. It has been confirmed by numerous experiments and is the basis for our understanding of gravity in the universe.

What is quantum field theory (QFT)?

Quantum field theory is a theoretical framework used to describe the behavior of subatomic particles and their interactions. It combines the principles of quantum mechanics and special relativity to explain the fundamental forces of nature, such as electromagnetism and the strong and weak nuclear forces.

How does general relativity relate to QFT?

General relativity and QFT are two of the most successful theories in physics, but they have not yet been unified into a single theory. General relativity describes gravity at a macroscopic scale, while QFT explains the behavior of particles at a microscopic scale. Combining these two theories is one of the biggest challenges in modern physics.

What are the major implications of general relativity and QFT?

The implications of general relativity and QFT are vast and far-reaching. They have led to a deeper understanding of the universe, including concepts such as black holes, the Big Bang, and the expansion of the universe. They also have practical applications, such as GPS technology and particle accelerators.

What are some current research areas in general relativity and QFT?

Some current research areas in general relativity and QFT include trying to unify the two theories, exploring the effects of gravity on the quantum scale, and studying the behavior of black holes. There is also ongoing research in using these theories to understand the early universe and to develop new technologies based on their principles.