Can Geometric Optics Help Solve These Light Refraction Problems?

In summary, the individual is struggling with understanding light unit material due to being sick during class and is seeking help to pass the unit test. Additionally, the conversation touches on topics such as the relative indices of refraction for red and green light, angles of refraction for different colors and materials, and the use of trigonometry and Snell's law in solving problems related to light. The individual also mentions difficulty in navigating a textbook on CD and requests step-by-step guidance on a specific problem.
Mr_Fluffykins
In my first two of weeks we covered most of the light unit, and i was sick(in class, but coulnd't focus or abosrb information) and now i am at the end of the unit with this due tomoro and i do not understand how to do any,

I need to learn how to do this, I can't understand most of it right now, i need to learn so i can pass the unit test.

Please help me

3.Although red means "stop" and green means "go" red light actually travels faster then green light. What does this indicate about:
A) the relative indices of refraction for red and green light in glass
B) the angles of refraction for each colour, for the same angle of incidence

4. A ray of light in air, with an incident angle of 40(degrees), has an angle of refraction of 20(degrees in "goop". If the light travels from "goop" to air, with an incident angle of 35(degree), determine th angle of refraction.

5.After taking grade 11 physics, a student throws a loonie into a pool late one night in order to demonstrate refraction to his friends. the loonie sits on the bottom of the rool under 2.4 m of water and 2.0 m from the edge of the rool. the pyysics geek directs a flashlight beam over the edge of the pool to illuminate the coin. at what angle relative to the pool wall must the flashlight be aimed?

6.A person's vision in one eye is corrected using a lens with a power of -2.0 d
a) explain what vision defect is being corrected
b)if a 10cm high object is located 75cm from the lens, determine the magnification of the immage.

7. the eyepiece of a compound microscope has a focal length of 20mm, the objective has a focal length of 2mm. the lenses are fixed 175mm apart and the final image is formed 250mm from the eyepiece. determine the distance of the object from the objective lens

8. light strikes a rectangular piece of crown glass with an angle of incidence of 30(degrees). If the block of glass is 10cm , determine the measure of lateral displacement.

Please instruct me how to complete theese problems so i can have this done for tomoro

Physics news on Phys.org
Please someone read this, i have two hours before i am finished with this please help me! I don't understand there is no way i can do this on my own, please, just give me some help,

do you not have a textbook I am sure you could read some of it which would probably help more than a verbal explanation? Are u familiar with trigonmetry? you will also need to know snells law llook it up in your textbook. Diagrams will help to especially for questions like 5. When you ahve snells law it is basically just plug ur values in and solve it.

n1sin(theta)1 = n2sine(theta)2

I have a textbook, but its on cd and extremely hard to navigate, and just reading from a textbook doens't make sense, these problems are very badly worded,
+

k ill walk u through 4 because I am bored but just keep in mind i hvant done those problems since last year so I am not promising nething

n1sin(theta)1 = n2sin(theta)2

the beam of light shines through the goop at an angle of 20 degrees so that is your first angle so it is the sin(theta) value. n1 is the index of refraction(in the goop) you want to find. now u want to look in your book or search google and u will get a vaule for the index of refraction of air i can't recall it from memory plug that in for n2. plug 35 in for your second angle

n1(20) = (refraction for air)(20)
solve that

Related to Can Geometric Optics Help Solve These Light Refraction Problems?

1. What is the Law of Reflection?

The Law of Reflection states that the angle of incidence is equal to the angle of reflection, and that the incident ray, reflected ray, and normal all lie in the same plane.

2. What is Snell's Law?

Snell's Law describes the relationship between the angles of incidence and refraction when a light ray passes through two different mediums. It states that the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence to the sine of the angle of refraction is equal to the ratio of the velocities of light in the two mediums.

3. What is the difference between a concave and convex lens?

A concave lens curves inward and causes light rays to diverge, while a convex lens curves outward and causes light rays to converge. This leads to different optical effects, such as magnification and image formation.

4. How does the human eye work?

The human eye functions similarly to a camera, with the cornea and lens focusing light onto the retina. The retina then converts the light into electrical signals that are sent to the brain via the optic nerve, where they are interpreted as images.

5. What are some real-world applications of geometric optics?

Geometric optics is used in many everyday technologies, such as cameras, telescopes, and microscopes. It is also essential in fields such as medicine, where it is used in devices like eyeglasses, contact lenses, and laser eye surgery.