Can Gravity Explain the Tilt of Mars and Neptune?

In summary, the new finding from Adrian Brunini suggest that Jupiter and saturn were originally much closer to each other and as a result received a tilt angle from gravitational interaction. The finding also suggests that Venus lost its rotation due to a chaotic resonance.
krateesh
I still cannot find any concrete explanation for tilt of planets like Mars and neptune.
These planets must be taken into account to make theory much stable regarding tilt of planets.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Mars' 'tilt' or inclination of equator to orbit (240) is very similar to the Earth's (23.50) and Neptune's is not too different either (28.80). Uranus is the planet with the greatest inclination (980) i.e. it leans over backwards!

The planets formed from collisions and mergers of proto-planets, as these impacting bodies grew from asteroid to small planet sized objects the impacts had greater and greater effects.

The final state of each planet, its orbital elements and rotational motion, is the total sum of all the mass, energy and angular momentum delivered to them by these proto-planets, giving them an overall pro-grade rotation at some inclination to their orbits.

The large inclinations can be explained by the collision of an extra large proto-planet late in the process, for example, it is thought a Mars' sized planet collided with the Earth forming the Earth, the Moon and maybe Mars as well from the debris. Uranus must have had an extra large body colliding with it, and this may have left its mark on one of Uranus' moon's Miranda.

Garth

That's the principle to which i stick too, but regarding Brunini's new finding the tilt of giant planets is the result of "neutral gravitation interaction" which tempts each of the jovian planets to tilt at some constant angle which doesn't tend to change till any exospheric thing doesn't collide with the concerned planet.

Now same finding also suggests that these planets were much closer before and thus by gravitational interaction got their tilt angle.
Now my problem was about the jupiter-mars system and the uranus-neptune system,If they are carefully considered through the acquired knowledge of evolution of solar system then these systems appear to be contradictory, and to satisfy this finding and contracdiction we have to add some new structures to solar system.
That's why i said that this topic must be taken into consideration.

I am not aware of Adrian(?) Brunini's "new finding"; reference?

Garth

Garth said:
The large inclinations can be explained by the collision of an extra large proto-planet late in the process, for example, it is thought a Mars' sized planet collided with the Earth forming the Earth, the Moon and maybe Mars as well from the debris. Uranus must have had an extra large body colliding with it, and this may have left its mark on one of Uranus' moon's Miranda.

However there are more forces at work. gravity between spinning objects tend to cause axial and orbitual perbutations, precession cycles and obliquity cycles. On Earth currently 26,000 and 41,000 years. Those two cycles interact which each other causing them to exchange momentum. Laskar (Fr) has figured out that when the precession and obliquity cycle are about equal in frequency then a chaotic resonance can send the spin axis to extreme obliquities and this may have been the main cause for the loss of rotation of Venus.

Obviously the moon is causing a rather rapid precession cycle which will preclude the Earth from having the same fate as Venus.

Sources:
http://www.imcce.fr/Equipes/ASD/preprints/prep.2003/th2002_laskar.pdf
http://www.imcce.fr/Equipes/ASD/Venus/venus4_en.html

I am not aware of Adrian(?) Brunini's "new finding"; reference?

I read it in a newspaper about 1-2 months ago.
Googling the word "cosmic Dance" or this thread's title might help u to get the reference.
If problem persists then i will give u the report itself.

krateesh said:
I read it in a newspaper about 1-2 months ago.
Googling the word "cosmic Dance" or this thread's title might help u to get the reference.
If problem persists then i will give u the report itself.
I Googled for '"cosmic dance" Brunini' and got nothing.

Googling for "cosmic dance" got a lot on the 'dance of Shiva' and similar.

Googling for '"Gravity effect the tilt too"' simply found this thread.

Garth

Last edited:
Thank you, yes there is a lot we do not know about planetary formation. The discovery of lots of 'hot jupiters' has thrown the whole field into the melting pot (literally!).

How these beasts formed is a mystery IMHO, and if our Solar System formed in a similar way with the gas giants originally very close to the Sun then, yes, inter-planetary interactions would have to be taken into account.

I find it difficult to believe Uranus' inclination can be explained in this way though.

Garth

Yeah! that uranus for me too acted as a hurdle in understanding this.
I was also thinking of Saturn.
Look i have a got a logic here, if this finding is true then it contradicts many facts relating Jupiter and saturn and mars.

#1 Was there asteroid belt at that time?after decided this,think about the existence of Jupiter with so less amount of rings than saturn.

#2 Ok! no asteroid belt ,then how is such gravitational interaction possible.

#3 Let it be possible again,then isn't Jupiter that much fat to effect the tilt of Mars which is already so near and dear to it.

Logic19,ur second point doen't co-relate with other point,u can't continue with that wrong point in the middle, u should again consider that.

Related to Can Gravity Explain the Tilt of Mars and Neptune?

1. How does gravity affect the Earth's tilt?

Gravity has a minimal direct effect on the Earth's tilt. The Earth's tilt, also known as its axial tilt or obliquity, is primarily caused by the gravitational pull of the Moon and the Sun. However, the force of gravity does play a role in maintaining the Earth's tilt and preventing it from changing significantly over time.

2. Does the Earth's tilt affect the seasons?

Yes, the Earth's tilt is the main factor that determines the changing of seasons. As the Earth orbits the Sun, the tilt causes different parts of the Earth to receive varying amounts of sunlight throughout the year, resulting in the different seasons we experience.

3. Can changes in the Earth's tilt affect climate change?

The Earth's tilt does play a role in climate change, but it is not the main cause. Changes in the Earth's tilt can lead to slight variations in the amount of solar radiation received by different parts of the Earth, which can contribute to climate patterns. However, human activities and greenhouse gas emissions are the primary drivers of modern-day climate change.

4. How does the Earth's tilt affect life on Earth?

The Earth's tilt has a significant impact on life on Earth. It is one of the key factors that allows for the diversity of life and varying ecosystems on our planet. The tilt contributes to the changing of seasons, which in turn affects plant growth, migration patterns of animals, and other natural processes essential for life.

5. Can gravity affect the tilt of other planets?

Yes, gravity plays a role in determining the tilt of other planets. Just like the Earth, the tilt of other planets is primarily influenced by the gravitational pull of their respective moons and the Sun. However, other factors such as the planet's size, shape, and rotation speed can also impact its tilt to varying degrees.

Back