Can Green's Theorem be used to evaluate line integrals over circles?

In summary, the conversation discusses using Green's theorem to solve a line integral, but realizes that it cannot be used in this case due to a singularity at (0,0). The conversation then discusses the possibility of using Green's theorem in a region without singularities and concludes that it can be used, but the resulting integral would still be zero in this specific case. The conversation ends with a clarification that there is nothing wrong with getting zero in a line integral.
SapphireLFC

Homework Statement

Solve: ∫(-ydx+xdy)/(x2+y2) counterclockwise around x2+y2=4

Homework Equations

Greens Theorem:
∫Pdx + Qdy = ∫∫(dQ/dx - dP/dy)dxdy

The Attempt at a Solution

Using Greens Theorem variables, I get that:
P = -y/(x2+y2) and
Q=x/(x2+y2)

and thus dQ/dx = (y2-x2)/(y2+x2)2

and dP/dx = (y2-x2)/(y2+x2)2

So, ∫∫(dQ/dx - dP/dy)dxdy = ∫∫( (y2-x2)/(y2+x2)2 - (y2-x2)/(y2+x2)2)dxdy

... which means I'm integrating 0 (which can't be right as that would equal 0 over a definite integral). Not sure where I've gone wrong! Can anyone spot an error?

Physics news on Phys.org
What's wrong with zero? You have something against it??

Not at all! Just doesn't seem like the correct solution in this instance

Well, looking more closely at your problem, I see that you have a singularity at (0,0). Perhaps you should try evaluating the integral directly.

I don't understand what you mean by evaluating it directly. My method was to use greens theorem and then (providing it didn't give me 0!) convert to polar coordinates and integrate over r and theta, thus the singularity wouldn't affect anything. Is this wrong?

Since you are integrating over a region that encloses a singularity, the hypotheses of Green's theorem are not fulfilled. Your function isn't even defined at (0,0). So you can't use Green's theorem. So just work the line integral out. I would suggest using the polar angle ##\theta## as your parameter.

Right, ok. Thank you very much for your help!

Sorry to be such a pain but I'm still a little baffled about the zero I'm getting. Just as a side note, suppose I was integrating that function over a region with no singularities (say circle centre (3,0), rad 1) would I still not be able to use Green's Theorem? If I did, I'd still be integrating zero, which still seems wrong in context.

SapphireLFC said:
Right, ok. Thank you very much for your help!

Sorry to be such a pain but I'm still a little baffled about the zero I'm getting. Just as a side note, suppose I was integrating that function over a region with no singularities (say circle centre (3,0), rad 1) would I still not be able to use Green's Theorem? If I did, I'd still be integrating zero, which still seems wrong in context.

Yes, you could use Green's theorem in that case. And you would get zero. And there is nothing wrong with getting zero in a line integral. It happens all the time, for example when integrating around a closed loop in a conservative force field (under appropriate hypotheses). I don't know what "context" is bothering you.

FAQ: Can Green's Theorem be used to evaluate line integrals over circles?

What is Green's Theorem over a circle?

Green's Theorem is a mathematical theorem that relates the line integral of a vector field around a closed curve to the double integral over the region enclosed by the curve. When applied specifically to a circle, it allows for the calculation of the area enclosed by the circle using a line integral.

What is the formula for Green's Theorem over a circle?

The formula for Green's Theorem over a circle is: ∮C Pdx + Qdy = ∬R (∂Q/∂x - ∂P/∂y) dA, where P and Q are the vector field components, C is the circle, and R is the region enclosed by the circle.

How is Green's Theorem over a circle applied in real life?

Green's Theorem over a circle has various applications in engineering and physics. It can be used to calculate the circulation of a fluid around a circular object, or the amount of work done by a force along a circular path. It can also be used to find the electric flux through a circular loop in electromagnetism.

What are the conditions for using Green's Theorem over a circle?

In order to use Green's Theorem over a circle, the vector field must be continuous and have continuous first-order partial derivatives in the region enclosed by the circle. Additionally, the circle must be positively oriented, meaning that it is traversed in a counterclockwise direction.

How does Green's Theorem over a circle relate to other theorems in mathematics?

Green's Theorem over a circle is a special case of Green's Theorem, which is a fundamental theorem in vector calculus. It is also related to other theorems such as Stokes' Theorem and the Divergence Theorem, which all relate line integrals to double integrals in different settings.