Can Hall's Marriage Theorem Determine a Matching of Size T in Bipartite Graphs?

• Thread starter bodensee9
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary: Therefore, there is a matching of size t. In summary, if the range of a subset A of X is greater than or equal to the cardinality of A minus the number of vertices in X plus a given value t, then there will be a matching of size t. This can be achieved by adding |X| - t new vertices to Y and connecting them to all vertices in X, and then removing these added vertices to get a matching of size t.
bodensee9
Hello,

I need to show that for a bipartite graph G(X, Y, E), if I have

|R(A)| = range of a subset A of X = the number of vertices incident to a vertex in A.
|A| = cardinality of A

So if I have |R(A)| >= |A| - |X| + t, then there is a matching of size T.

I thought of the following, but it seems fishy:

I know that if I want an X matching, then |R(A)| has to equal or be greater than |A|.
SO if I added |X| - t new vertices to Y and connected those all to my vertices in X, then I know that there will be at least a |X| - t matching, plus whatever matching there existed in the first place (before I added the |X| - t new ones). So then in this case, |R(A)| >= |A| for a full X matching. But suppose I removed those vertices that I just added, then

|R(A)| - (|X| - t) = |A| - (|X| - t),

But then I don't know what size of a matching this would give me. Would this give me the matching of the t elements because originally I had a matching of |X|, but now since I am substracting |x| - t elements, I only have |x| - |x| + t or t matching?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, this logic is correct. If |R(A)| >= |A| - |X| + t, then we know that there must be at least t edges in the matching. This is because the range of A is equal to the number of vertices incident to a vertex in A, and since |R(A)| >= |A| - |X| + t, then it means that there must be at least t edges in the matching.

FAQ: Can Hall's Marriage Theorem Determine a Matching of Size T in Bipartite Graphs?

1. What is Hall's Marriage Theorem?

Hall's Marriage Theorem is a mathematical theorem that provides a necessary and sufficient condition for a bipartite graph to have a perfect matching, or a set of edges that connects every vertex in one set to a unique vertex in the other set.

2. Who discovered Hall's Marriage Theorem?

Hall's Marriage Theorem is named after its discoverer, Philip Hall, a British mathematician who first published it in 1935.

3. What is a bipartite graph?

A bipartite graph is a graph with two sets of vertices, where each edge connects a vertex from one set to a vertex in the other set. In other words, there are no edges connecting vertices within the same set.

4. How is Hall's Marriage Theorem used?

Hall's Marriage Theorem has applications in various fields, including computer science, economics, and game theory. It is used to determine if a matching is possible in certain situations, such as assigning tasks to workers or allocating resources.

5. Can Hall's Marriage Theorem be generalized to graphs with more than two sets of vertices?

Yes, Hall's Marriage Theorem can be generalized to graphs with any number of sets of vertices. This is known as the Generalized Marriage Theorem, and it provides a necessary and sufficient condition for the existence of a matching in a graph with any number of sets of vertices.