Can I become a theoretical physicist?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between being a theoretical physicist and a mathematical physicist, and whether one can claim the title of being a theoretical physicist with two postgraduate degrees in mathematical physics. It is mentioned that what someone actually does in their field will matter more than their specific degree. The conversation also touches on the use of integrals in particle physics.
Pendulum Swing
With an undergrad degree in Applied Mathematics and Meteorology (school has no quantum field theory; didn't to study it and its extensive lab classes).

And then do a masters degree in Mathematical Physic afterwards do a PhD in Mathematical Physics?

Will I then be a theoretical physicist or a Mathematical Physicist? I know it sounds vague but is it possible to claim the title of being a "Theoretical Physicist" with two postgrad degrees in mathematical physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mathematical physics and theroretical physics sound very similar, and what you actually do will matter more than what exactly your degree says.
Pendulum Swing said:
school has no quantum field theory
There is a lot of theory outside of particle physics, too.

mfb said:
Mathematical physics and theroretical physics sound very similar, and what you actually do will matter more than what exactly your degree says.
There is a lot of theory outside of particle physics, too.

I guess so and cheers for your response. So is it then viable for me to say that I'm a 'physicist' (stemming from a postgrad in mathematical physics)?

Does particle physics have a lot of integral calculus? because I like integrals.

Pendulum Swing said:
So is it then viable for me to say that I'm a 'physicist' (stemming from a postgrad in mathematical physics)?
Who would stop you?

Pendulum Swing said:
Does particle physics have a lot of integral calculus? because I like integrals.
Depends on what exactly you do, in general there will be many integrals around, most of them won't look like integrals you see as undergrad. There is even a wikipedia page just for integrals related to QFT.

Likes Niflheim

FAQ: Can I become a theoretical physicist?

1. Can I become a theoretical physicist even if I don't have a strong math background?

While a strong foundation in mathematics is essential for theoretical physics, it is certainly possible to improve your math skills and become a theoretical physicist. As a scientist, you will constantly be learning and refining your mathematical abilities throughout your career.

2. Do I need a PhD to become a theoretical physicist?

Generally, a PhD is required to work as a theoretical physicist in academia or research institutions. However, you can still work in the field with a master's degree or even a bachelor's degree, although your career options may be more limited.

3. What skills do I need to become a theoretical physicist?

In addition to strong mathematical abilities, you will need critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, and a strong foundation in physics. You should also have a passion for research and the ability to work independently and as part of a team.

4. How long does it take to become a theoretical physicist?

The path to becoming a theoretical physicist typically takes around 8-10 years of education and training. This includes earning a bachelor's degree in physics, followed by a master's degree and a PhD in theoretical physics. However, the exact timeline may vary depending on individual circumstances.

5. What career opportunities are available for theoretical physicists?

Theoretical physicists can work in a variety of industries, including academia, research institutions, government agencies, and private companies. They may also pursue careers in fields such as finance, data science, and computer science. Additionally, some theoretical physicists may choose to work as educators, teaching physics at the high school or college level.

Back