Can I enroll in a physics PhD program after BS in engineering?

In summary, the speaker has a bachelors degree in Mechanical Engineering from a university in India and studied physics in Senior Secondary. However, due to lack of choice in major/minor subjects, their knowledge in physics is equivalent to that of a high school student. They considered pursuing an M.Sc. in Physics but realized they need more practice. They are wondering if they can enroll in a PhD program with no research experience and what they can do to change this. The other person suggests that the speaker's knowledge in physics may be higher than they think due to the overlap with engineering courses.
JOULEJATT
I have a bachelors degree in Mechanical Engineering from a good university in India. I studied physics in Senior Secondary(10+1,10+2). But I have no individual research experience in physics at bachelors level because in the engineering college we had no choice of major/minor subjects like they get is U.S. or other countries. My knowledge in Physics is equivalent to that of a high school student. I thought of getting admission in M.Sc. Physics but realized that I need a lot of practice to be good at the subjects that form the base of those in the masters course. Can I enroll for a PhD program after my bachelors with no research experience. If no, what should I do to change it?

Physics news on Phys.org
JOULEJATT said:
My knowledge in Physics is equivalent to that of a high school student...Can I enroll for a PhD program?

No.

Even if you were accepted, you would not be able to complete the program.

Likes micromass
How do you only physics knowledge at the high school level if you have a degree in engineering? There is a huge overlap, especially with mechanical engineering and physics...

Likes russ_watters
You have got to be underestimating your knowledge of physics if you have a BS in engineering. They are far too related. I would think you're close to a physics majors skills minus a few upper division courses.

Related to Can I enroll in a physics PhD program after BS in engineering?

1. Can I pursue a PhD in physics after completing a Bachelor's degree in engineering?

Yes, many universities and institutions offer PhD programs in physics for students with a Bachelor's degree in engineering. However, you may need to take additional courses in physics to meet the prerequisites for the program.

2. Are there any specific engineering majors that are more suitable for a physics PhD program?

While it is not necessary to have a specific engineering major to pursue a physics PhD, majors such as mechanical, electrical, or aerospace engineering may have more overlap with physics courses and may make the transition smoother.

3. Do I need to have a high GPA in my engineering degree to be accepted into a physics PhD program?

While a high GPA can certainly strengthen your application, it is not the only factor that admissions committees consider. A strong background in physics courses and research experience may also play a significant role in the decision-making process.

4. Can I apply for a physics PhD program if I have no prior experience in physics?

It is not common for students with no prior experience in physics to be accepted into a PhD program. However, some universities may offer bridge programs or alternative paths for students to gain the necessary background in physics before starting the PhD program.

5. What are the career prospects for someone with a physics PhD after completing a Bachelor's degree in engineering?

The career prospects for someone with a physics PhD are diverse and can range from research positions in academia, industry, or government to roles in data analysis, engineering, or consulting. The combination of technical skills from engineering and theoretical knowledge from physics can make you a highly sought-after candidate in various fields.