Can I Factor 4a^2b^2 - 9(ab + c)^2?

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathdad
  • Start date
In summary, to factor the expression 4a^2b^2 - 9(ab + c)^2, you can first rewrite it as (2ab)^2 - (3(ab + c))^2 and then factor it as the difference of squares. The number 9 can be rewritten as 3^2, making the expression (3(ab + c))^2.
mathdad
Factor the expression.

4a^2b^2 - 9(ab + c)^2

Should I FOIL (ab + c)^2 as step 1?

I can then distribute 9 as step 2, right?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I would first write the expression as:

\(\displaystyle (2ab)^2-(3(ab+c))^2\)

Now, factor as the difference of squares, and simplify. :D

MarkFL said:
I would first write the expression as:

\(\displaystyle (2ab)^2-(3(ab+c))^2\)

Now, factor as the difference of squares, and simplify. :D

The number 9 is not part of the squaring for (ab + c)^2. So, where did 3 come from? Does 3 come from the fact that 3^2 is 9? This makes sense to me if 9 were inside the parentheses for (ab + c)^2 but it's not. See what I mean?

RTCNTC said:
The number 9 is not part of the squaring for (ab + c)^2. So, where did 3 come from? Does 3 come from the fact that 3^2 is 9? This makes sense to me if 9 were inside the parentheses for (ab + c)^2 but it's not. See what I mean?

I was just rewriting that term as a perfect square:

\(\displaystyle 9(ab+c)^2=3^2(ab+c)^2=(3(ab+c))^2\)

MarkFL said:
I was just rewriting that term as a perfect square:

\(\displaystyle 9(ab+c)^2=3^2(ab+c)^2=(3(ab+c))^2\)

Ok. I will complete this problem tomorrow.

FAQ: Can I Factor 4a^2b^2 - 9(ab + c)^2?

1. What is factoring and why is it important?

Factoring is the process of finding the factors of a number or expression. This is important because it allows us to simplify complex equations and solve for unknown variables.

2. How do you factor a quadratic equation?

To factor a quadratic equation, you need to find two numbers that multiply to equal the constant term and add to equal the coefficient of the middle term. These numbers will be the factors of the quadratic equation.

3. Can you factor a number with more than two factors?

Yes, it is possible to factor a number with more than two factors. For example, 12 can be factored as 2 x 2 x 3, where 2 and 3 are the factors.

4. What is the difference between factoring and simplifying?

Factoring involves finding the factors of a number or expression, while simplifying involves reducing the expression to its simplest form. Factoring is a step towards simplifying an equation.

5. What are the common methods used for factoring?

The most common methods for factoring include grouping, difference of squares, perfect square trinomials, and trial and error. Each method is useful for factoring different types of equations.