Can I find a free 2010 sky almanac on line?

• Thread starter jackmell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Line Sky
In summary, the 2010 sky almanac is available for purchase online or at a local bookstore. Stellarium and Homeplanet are both good programs for locating objects in the night sky. There is a waiting list for charts that will show the orbits of extrasolar planets.
jackmell
Is there a 2010 sky almanac on line?

Hello. Is there any on-line resource that I can obtain a nice star almanac like the one in the January issue of Sky and Telescope? I realize I can buy it for $6.00 through Sky and Telescope but does anyone know if I find a similar one on the web that I can just print out?

Thanks! :)

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
There is a nice shareware program called Homeplanet I discovered several years ago. I am still using it 15 years later. I also sometimes use Stellarium for locating objects in the night sky cuzit is more "lifelike". Both are freeware.

Hi Chas. Thanks for replying. Seems like a nice program from the on-line info but doesn't seem to be what I'm looking for. You know what the almanac looks like right? Very condensed, comprehensive, clear, and easy to read for a single sheet of paper. Color too.

I was gonna' swipe it. And as I was pulling out of my home-town library, I thought to myself, "perfect example of what a hick town I live in for not having a subscription to Sky and Telescope!" No, just gonna' fork-over the six bucks half-way through the season.

Thanks anyway. :)

Stellarium works the best for certain things. You get much more detail on current positions of planets and special bits, but as you said you can't beat a good sheet of paper to find your way around.

MotoH said:
Stellarium works the best for certain things. You get much more detail on current positions of planets and special bits, but as you said you can't beat a good sheet of paper to find your way around.

Do you mean extrasolars?

I am waiting on a chart that, when I figure out which stars I am looking at in the night sky, also tells me which EXTRAsolar planets have been discovered orbiting them. The extrasolars capture my imagination and I can't be the only one who now wonders which newly discovered planets go around which star I am looking at.

I feel like the lag time between what has been discovered (in the last ten years) and someone capitalizing on a revised "extrasolar planetary/star chart is too big. Maybe Extrasolars are not as interesting to other people as they are to me though I have to doubt that.

Another idea which I am waiting for someone to write is a computer program where you orient it towards which stars are visible but when you wave a mouse pointer over those stars it shows known planetary orbits AND type of star (if its binary and star type etc.) and maybe even a paragraph of info on it's history.

If I knew more information about specific stars (not just name and constellation) from a chart or index it would help me identify them in the sky.

Many of the stars in the sky can now be considered separate (and incomplete) solar systems instead or just stars so I am now awaiting "solar system" charts. Are there any of those being made?

Last edited:

FAQ: Can I find a free 2010 sky almanac on line?

1. What is a sky almanac?

A sky almanac is a publication that contains astronomical information, such as the positions of celestial objects and events, for a specific time period, typically a year.

2. Why would I need a 2010 sky almanac?

A 2010 sky almanac can be used to plan stargazing activities, track astronomical events, and deepen your understanding of the night sky during that specific year.

3. Can I find a free 2010 sky almanac online?

Yes, there are several websites that offer free 2010 sky almanacs, such as the Old Farmer's Almanac and Time and Date. You can also find downloadable PDF versions on these websites.

4. Are online sky almanacs as accurate as printed versions?

In most cases, yes. Online sky almanacs are typically updated regularly and use accurate data from reliable sources, just like printed versions. However, it's always a good idea to double-check with multiple sources for accuracy.

5. Can I find a sky almanac for a different year?

Yes, many websites offer sky almanacs for different years, both past and future. You can also purchase printed versions for specific years from bookstores or online retailers.