Can i learn programming in university?

In summary, the individual is struggling with self-discipline and motivation to learn programming on their own. They have had some success with a guitar teacher in the past and are considering finding a programming teacher. They are wondering if they can become a decent programmer before starting university and if they will be at a disadvantage compared to others who already have coding experience. Suggestions are given to try online resources and to start building a website as a fun and goal-driven way to learn.
Aichuk
I'm going straight to the point- I'm lazy and have poor self discipline. I'm trying to fix it but it's taking its time (right now I'm trying to make myself study regularly). I've always been interested in programming, but I've never had the discipline to self-learn the subject. I tinkered with Python a lot and was getting decent at it. I even spent an entire night finding a program that calculated a triangle with all sides being integers. But suddenly I felt too lazy to learn further. I think I got frustrated with the book I was using.

It's not that I don't have 'true' passion or anything. I just need someone to push me until I reach a point where my passion breaks through my laziness. I was interested in guitar but didn't practice but I got a teacher and reached a point where now I practice it regularly everyday. I also think I need a programming teacher but I can't find anyone in my country (Bangladesh). So I have 2 years left till university, can I learn to be a decent programmer then? I thrive in an environment where I'm constantly forced to do stuff instead of forcing myself to do it. And the worst part about having poor self discipline is that to teach yourself self discipline you need self discipline- it's a paradox for me.

Edit: I'm not asking whether I can only learn programming in university, because I know if I take the courses I am going to be taught. But I'm mainly asking whether I fall behind the others (both academically and careerwise) who already know coding. I want to make my own websites, etc.

Physics news on Phys.org
It really depends on what you plan to study in university. If it's physics, you'll probably have a course that'll introduce you to programming, but something not very deep.

If it's anything related to computers (computer science, for example), then you'll definitely learn coding and I don't think you'll fall much behind the others when it comes to grading.

Have you tried learning how to code using a massive open online course? (Coursera for example)

Likes Rocket50
If you take an introductory programming course, you shouldn't have a disadvantage having no prior experience. Those who do have experience have an advantage, but that doesn't mean you are disadvantaged.

I also second the suggestion made above that you should try some online resources like Coursera.

Likes DataGG
I agree with Rocklet50, you shouldn't be at a disadvantage leaving learning to program until your introductory programming course at university. I think tinkering around with stuff 'cause it's fun, and stopping if it ceases to be fun is fine at this stage. As long as you do all your school work - even if isn't fun! (It can't all be fun...)

Why not try building a web site, there's lots of free hosting out there. You can tinker with HTML and Javascript to quickly build fun stuff easily. Python might be too steep a learning curve at your level, depending on the book you are using. Also having an aim would be fun - start a blog called "The Lazy Programmer" and talk about how you can't do stuff unless you're pushed. Stick Google AdSense ads on it and make some money! (Always a good incentive...)

Likes Rocket50

I can tell you that learning programming in university is certainly possible. However, it is important to recognize that learning any skill or subject requires effort and dedication, and it may be challenging for someone with poor self-discipline. It is great that you are aware of your struggles and are actively trying to improve your self-discipline.

In terms of learning programming in university, it can definitely provide a structured and supportive environment for you to learn and improve your skills. You will have access to experienced professors and resources that can guide you in your learning. Additionally, being in a classroom setting with peers who are also learning can provide motivation and accountability.

That being said, it is important to note that university courses can be challenging and require a lot of self-motivation and discipline. It is not a guarantee that you will automatically become a proficient programmer just by attending university. It will still require effort and dedication on your part.

In terms of falling behind others who may already have coding experience, it is important to remember that everyone learns at their own pace. While it may take you longer to grasp certain concepts, with determination and hard work, you can still become a successful programmer. It is also important to keep in mind that programming is a constantly evolving field, and there will always be new things to learn and master.

In summary, while university can provide a supportive environment for learning programming, it ultimately comes down to your own determination and hard work. With dedication and perseverance, you can become a successful programmer, regardless of your starting point.

FAQ: Can i learn programming in university?

1. Can I learn programming in university if I have no prior experience?

Yes, most universities offer introductory programming courses for students with no prior experience. These courses typically cover the basics of programming languages and concepts, and are designed for beginners.

2. Do I need to major in computer science to learn programming in university?

No, many universities offer programming courses as part of their general education requirements or as electives in other majors such as math, engineering, or business. You can also minor in computer science if you want a more in-depth understanding of programming.

3. What programming languages will I learn in university?

This depends on the specific university and program. However, most universities offer courses in popular languages such as Java, C++, Python, and JavaScript. Some universities may also offer courses in more specialized languages such as R or SQL.

4. Will I be able to find a job as a programmer after graduating from university?

It is possible, but it ultimately depends on your skills, experience, and the job market. A degree in computer science or a related field can make you a more competitive candidate for programming jobs, but it is not a guarantee of employment. It's important to also gain practical experience through internships or personal projects.

5. Can I learn programming in university if I have a full-time job?

Many universities offer online or part-time programs that are designed specifically for working professionals. These programs may take longer to complete, but they allow you to balance your studies with your job. It's important to carefully consider your time management and course load to ensure success in both your job and studies.