Can I Modify My Cell Phone Screen to Get a Mirror Effect?

• Thread starter semidevil
  • Start date
In summary, the cellphone has a mirror effect when the button is pressed. This effect is caused by some kind of coating or film on the screen. It is most likely a transreflective screen.
semidevil
is this possible??

I asked around, but no one seemed to know the answer, so I want to ask you physics gurus.

ok, so I am going to basically modify my cellphone a bit, and I thought of this idea.

There are a few cell phones these days that have this coating or something, but when the cellphone is turned off, or not active, the screen has a mirror effect. When a button is pushed, and the lights appear,you will be able to see the screen again...like,the light took out the reflection or something.

now, what causes this effect? Is it some kind of coating? polarizing film? I was thinking if I can buy something to apply to my phone screen to have that effect...

do you guys have any ideas on how to attempt to do this, if possible...

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm certainly no expert at any of this stuff, but I can only think of two approaches to that (some variations of them, though). I would suspect that there's a second layer of liquid crystals in there. One behind the display could act as a shutter to hide a real mirror at the back. Conversely, one in front of the display could become a mirror when activated. I have no idea whether or not that's what's actually being done, but it's all I can think of right now.
I'll be very interested in finding out the real answer myself. Hope somebody out there knows. :smile:

It's most like a transreflective screen. When it is off you can see a rather clear reflection of yourself, but when it is turned on, since there is some light going from it, your reflection is not so clear anymore. The good thing about these screens is that in sunlight you will still be able to see the screen well because it reflects the sunlight, making the screen brighter.

moose said:
when it is turned on, since there is some light going from it
Okay... I hadn't considered that the screen was illuminated. I was thinking of a regular LC display. (My cell is fairly old; it only lights up if you order it to.) :redface:

Related to Can I Modify My Cell Phone Screen to Get a Mirror Effect?

1. Can I modify any type of cell phone screen to achieve a mirror effect?

No, not all cell phone screens can be modified to achieve a mirror effect. It depends on the type of screen and whether it has a reflective coating or not.

2. What type of modification is needed to achieve a mirror effect on a cell phone screen?

The most common modification is adding a reflective film or coating to the surface of the screen. This will allow the screen to reflect light and create a mirror-like effect.

3. Is it safe to modify my cell phone screen to achieve a mirror effect?

This depends on the method of modification and the materials used. It is important to carefully follow instructions and use safe materials to avoid damaging your phone or risking your safety.

4. Will modifying my cell phone screen affect its functionality?

In most cases, modifying your cell phone screen to achieve a mirror effect will not affect its functionality. However, it is important to follow instructions carefully and avoid damaging any internal components of the phone.

5. Can I reverse the modification and return my cell phone screen to its original state?

In some cases, it may be possible to reverse the modification and remove the reflective film or coating from the screen. However, this may not always be possible and may result in permanent damage to the screen or phone.