Can I put on my resume "Applied Stats Major" instead?

In summary: Also, if i take my three elective courses in computer science with business emphasis, could i write "B.S in Statistics (Business and Computer Science), or would there be a better/more accurate way to write that?I suppose you could write "B.S. in Statistics with a concentration in Computer Science" or something similar.
annoyinggirl
Hi, I will be majoring in Statistics at SFSU. However, while the curriculum is that of an Applied Statistics major (below is a link to a chart of the three offered emphasis, which we must choose one of out of ). Why, then, does the school call it "Statistics" instead of "applied Statistics"? And given that the curriculum is that of an Applied Statistics major, can I put on my resume "Applied Statistics with emphasis in _____ " instead of "Statistics major with emphasis in ____" ? Because I think the word "applied" makes me a much more competitive/desirable candidate (please correct me if I am wrong).

http://oi59.tinypic.com/50lfv9.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you need to put whatever will be printed on your physical diploma. Perhaps there are other ways of communicating your "applied" skills?

Likes CalcNerd and Locrian
Greg Bernhardt said:
I think you need to put whatever will be printed on your physical diploma. Perhaps there are other ways of communicating your "applied" skills?

thanks for the reply. Do you have any suggestions on how i could do that?

To answer your original question, historically statistics was often only offered at the graduate level in many schools in the US, often as either part of the math department or part of the operations research/industrial engineering department. I would suspect that in recent years, with the recognition of a need for a separate statistics program and its applications in a variety of areas, there was a need to create a separate undergraduate statistics degree that catered to applications.

At any rate, in your resume, you should state the degree that will be printed on your diploma. It doesn't really matter whether the degree is called Statistics or Applied Statistics. The more important thing is what skills you possesses -- you can communicate those by what courses you've taken or what experiences you gained in internships (if you decide to seek it).

Likes Greg Bernhardt
StatGuy2000 said:
To answer your original question, historically statistics was often only offered at the graduate level in many schools in the US, often as either part of the math department or part of the operations research/industrial engineering department. I would suspect that in recent years, with the recognition of a need for a separate statistics program and its applications in a variety of areas, there was a need to create a separate undergraduate statistics degree that catered to applications.

At any rate, in your resume, you should state the degree that will be printed on your diploma. It doesn't really matter whether the degree is called Statistics or Applied Statistics. The more important thing is what skills you possesses -- you can communicate those by what courses you've taken or what experiences you gained in internships (if you decide to seek it).
thanks for reply.

So can i write on my resume "statistics major with emphasis in ______" or do i have to leave the "emphasis" out since it's not on the physical diploma, although it is true and could be proven by other documentation?

annoyinggirl said:
thanks for reply.

So can i write on my resume "statistics major with emphasis in ______" or do i have to leave the "emphasis" out since it's not on the physical diploma, although it is true and could be proven by other documentation?

My suggestion would be to simply write the title of your degree (I presume that would be BS in Statistics). You can then either put in brackets or in a separate line "with emphasis in _________", or describe key courses you had taken in your resume, which should show potential employers what types of skills you possess.

Likes annoyinggirl
StatGuy2000 said:
My suggestion would be to simply write the title of your degree (I presume that would be BS in Statistics). You can then either put in brackets or in a separate line "with emphasis in _________", or describe key courses you had taken in your resume, which should show potential employers what types of skills you possess.
i see. thank you . that cleared a lot of confusion for me.

Also, if i take my three elective courses in computer science with business emphasis, could i write "B.S in Statistics (Business and Computer Science), or would there be a better/more accurate way to write that?

Related to Can I put on my resume "Applied Stats Major" instead?

1. Can I put "Applied Stats Major" on my resume instead of my actual major?

Technically, yes, you can put whatever you want on your resume. However, it is important to be honest and accurate in representing your education and qualifications. If you did not officially major in Applied Statistics, it would be misleading to put it on your resume.

2. Will employers be able to tell if I put "Applied Stats Major" on my resume instead of my actual major?

Employers often verify the information on a candidate's resume, including their education. If you did not actually major in Applied Statistics, they may be able to tell by requesting your official transcripts or through background checks.

3. Is it better to put "Applied Stats Major" on my resume if I have taken a few classes in that subject?

No, it is not recommended to put a major on your resume if you have not officially completed the requirements for that major. Instead, highlight the relevant courses you have taken in Applied Statistics under your actual major or in a skills section.

4. Can I put "Applied Stats Minor" on my resume if I have completed a minor in that subject?

Yes, if you have officially completed a minor in Applied Statistics, it is appropriate to include it on your resume. Be sure to accurately list the name of the minor and the courses you have taken to complete it.

5. What if my actual major is not relevant to the job I am applying for?

If your actual major is not directly related to the job, you can still include your relevant coursework or skills in Applied Statistics on your resume. However, be sure to also highlight any transferable skills or experiences from your actual major that may be relevant to the job.