Can I state that a of n is decreasing w/o taking the derivative

In summary, the alternating series test requires the sequence to be decreasing to zero. While taking the derivative of the function is the suggested method, it is possible to prove that the sequence is decreasing by showing that the limit approaches zero and that the values of the sequence are positive for all n>N. However, there may be exceptions to this case, such as when the sequence is represented as a single rational function. It is important to carefully check the conditions for the alternating series test before using it.
freshman2013
This applies to the alternating series test, and one of the conditions for it to work is if absolute value of an is decreasing for all n. The way the book says to do it is to take the derivative of f(x) with f(x)=an. However, if I know that the limit as n approaches infinity abs value an approaches 0, and that an (w/o the (-1)^n part) is positive for all n>N, shouldn't that enough to prove that an is decreasing to infinity. All the examples I did seem to follow this reasoning. Example: (-1)^(n-3)* sqrt(n)/(n+4). Clearly, if n is a really big positive number, then sqrt(n)/(n+4) can't be negative and the limit as it goes to infinity zero. Then the only way I can see it approaching zero is by decreasing. Might there be exceptions to this case and if so give an example? The only reason I'm asking this is that taking the derivative seems like unnecessary work to me. If I explain this on a test instead of taking a derivative, might the professor have any reason to takes points off?

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider
[tex] a_{2n+1} = \frac{1}{(2n+1)^2} [/tex]
and
[tex] a_{2n} = \frac{1}{2n} [/tex]

Then
[tex] \sum (-1)^n a_n [/tex]
is an alternating series, the terms are going to zero, but the series does not converge because the a2n terms are way bigger than the a2n+1 terms and the sequence is not decreasing term by term. It is generally true that if the an are given as a single rational function then if they're going to zero they will do so uniformly, but it's better not to make assumptions and just make the extra check.

So for series represented as one function, my reasoning should always work?

freshman2013 said:
So for series represented as one function, my reasoning should always work?

No. ##a_n=\frac{\cos^2(n\pi/2)}{n}##.

In order to use the Alternating Series Test, you must demonstrate that the sequence in question is decreasing to zero. If you don't want to do that, then you can't use the AST.

You cannot assume that a sequence of positive terms that converges to zero does so in a decreasing fashion, because that is not true in general. I know it seems like the "bad" kind of sequences must be exotic, but it's actually the "good" sequences that are rare.

In general, it can be difficult to show that a sequence is decreasing. Be grateful that you have been given such a powerful and easy-to-use tool as the derivative to help you out in some cases. It may seem like a lot of work, but I promise you it's one of the more straightforward ways of getting the job done.

I think the bottom line here is that come quiz/exam time, you should probably just do the problems using the tools that you were given in class. Keep in mind that, in addition to testing your understanding of new material, some assessments are designed to make sure you are still competent in the old material too.

Likes 1 person

Related to Can I state that a of n is decreasing w/o taking the derivative

1. Can I state that a sequence of n is decreasing without taking the derivative?

Yes, it is possible to determine if a sequence is decreasing without taking the derivative. To do so, you can compare each term in the sequence to the one before it. If each term is smaller than the previous one, then the sequence is decreasing. However, this method may not work for all types of sequences, so it is important to check the definition of a decreasing sequence to ensure it aligns with your findings.

2. What is the definition of a decreasing sequence?

A decreasing sequence is a sequence of numbers where each term is smaller than the previous term. This means that the sequence is moving in a downward direction and getting closer to zero as it progresses.

3. Do I need to take the derivative to prove that a sequence is decreasing?

No, taking the derivative is not necessary to prove that a sequence is decreasing. As mentioned earlier, you can compare each term in the sequence to the one before it to determine if it is decreasing. However, if the sequence is defined as a function, taking the derivative may provide a more efficient way to prove its decreasing nature.

4. Are there other methods to prove that a sequence is decreasing?

Yes, there are other methods to prove that a sequence is decreasing besides comparing terms and taking the derivative. For example, you can use mathematical induction or the monotone convergence theorem. These methods may be more advanced and require a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts.

5. Can a sequence be decreasing without being continuous?

Yes, a sequence can be decreasing without being continuous. A sequence can be defined as a set of discrete values and still exhibit a decreasing trend. However, if the sequence is defined as a continuous function, it must also be continuous to be considered decreasing.