Can I Thrive in Physics? Advice for Choosing a Major

• Programs
  • Thread starter jamalkoiyess
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation is about a high school student who is passionate about physics and is considering studying it in university, but is worried that it may not meet their expectations. They ask for advice and are told that there is a chance they may not like it, but suggest self-studying a physics textbook as a way to gauge their interest. The Feynman lectures are brought up as a suggestion but it is advised that they are not suitable as a textbook for beginners. The student also mentions reading popular science books and the difference between them and technical books. Ultimately, they are encouraged to pursue their passion and not let the potential challenges deter them.
jamalkoiyess
Hello PF,
The time has come for me to choose a major university cause I have finished high school. I have always had a passion for physics I've read lots of books and I like the course at school but would prefer more advanced things and I'm okay with the math ( good at it but not passionate )
My fear is that when i go to university may be it would not be what i expect i would hate to hate it when i find it's other face (sorry but that's the best expression i could find) . I love the theoretical side ( like seriously reading a paper or thinking of an equation could give me goosebumps).
So what do you think . I am grateful for any advice .

Physics news on Phys.org
There is very little you can do about this now. It is very possible that physics in uni will not be what you expect it to be. In fact, a vast number of freshman physics majors finds out exactly that and drops out. Their reasons vary. They find it too theoretical, or too experimental, or too mathy, or too difficult, etc.

If you didn't have to choose right now, I would have suggest you to self-study a physics book to see what it's like .That would be the best predictor of whether you'd like university physics. Right now however, I'm afraid there's not much you can do other than just taking the risk.

micromass said:
There is very little you can do about this now. It is very possible that physics in uni will not be what you expect it to be. In fact, a vast number of freshman physics majors finds out exactly that and drops out. Their reasons vary. They find it too theoretical, or too experimental, or too mathy, or too difficult, etc.

If you didn't have to choose right now, I would have suggest you to self-study a physics book to see what it's like .That would be the best predictor of whether you'd like university physics. Right now however, I'm afraid there's not much you can do other than just taking the risk.
Thank you ... but are the Feynman lectures a good exemple of undergraduate textbooks ?

Feynman lectures are excellent

Likes jamalkoiyess
jamalkoiyess said:
Thank you ... but are the Feynman lectures a good exemple of undergraduate textbooks ?

Actually, I don't think it is for "freshman" who is just starting out trying to learn the subject. It is an excellent text ONCE you have an understanding of the basic principles. The text is not pedagogically strong, but it is rich in the material it presents.

What you need, and what will serve you better are "standard" intro physics texts that (i) spend time to elaborate the physics (ii) have lots and lots of examples on how to solve problems and (iii) try to guide you by the hand as your understanding gets more and more sophisticated.

Once you've gone through such a course, then go back and pick up Feynman Lectures, and you'll appreciate it a bit more.

Zz,.

Likes jamalkoiyess
What kind of books have you read so far ?

ZapperZ said:
Actually, I don't think it is for "freshman" who is just starting out trying to learn the subject. It is an excellent text ONCE you have an understanding of the basic principles. The text is not pedagogically strong, but it is rich in the material it presents.

Feynman taught those lectures to the freshmen and sophomore classes at Caltech.

MinasKar said:
Feynman taught those lectures to the freshmen and sophomore classes at Caltech.

And you should read what happened afterwards. Read, for example, Glick's book "Genius". Or even read https://www.quora.com/Were-Feynmans-lectures-on-physics-really-too-difficult-for-Caltech-students-back-in-the-1960s by someone who was there.

Think about it. These are CALTECH''s students. Even if they didn't have any difficulties with it, is this the level you want to introduce your average, mortal students, as IF there are no other better texts around? How many schools do you think use the Feynman lectures as their text in intro physics classes? That should tell you something!

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes marcusl
Maths Absorber said:
What kind of books have you read so far ?
Not any kind of serious books so far. I have read "the grand design" "a brief history of time" "physics of the impossible" ...

jamalkoiyess said:

Not at all. If you want them to serve as an undergrad textbook, then the Feynman lectures are probably the worst choice you can make. That is not saying that the Feynman lectures don't deserve to be read. They do, they're an excellent read. But not as a textbook.

micromass said:
Not at all. If you want them to serve as an undergrad textbook, then the Feynman lectures are probably the worst choice you can make. That is not saying that the Feynman lectures don't deserve to be read. They do, they're an excellent read. But not as a textbook.
Yeah i felt that when i started ... maybe i will see a friend from a university and ask them about there textbooks. Thank you

jamalkoiyess said:
Not any kind of serious books so far. I have read "the grand design" "a brief history of time" "physics of the impossible" ...
I like to read those books too and I can read a lot of them. I learned physics in Uni, but I didn't like it so I changed my major to mechanical engineering. I didn't regret it. Reading popular science and reading real physics books are two different things.

microMRI said:
I like to read those books too and I can read a lot of them. I learned physics in Uni, but I didn't like it so I changed my major to mechanical engineering. I didn't regret it. Reading popular science and reading real physics books are two different things.
Thank you sir for your advice .

Reading popular science and technical books are different. That being said, I don't think it should pose a big deterrent to you. You're just in high school and you already have a lot of enthusiasm in Physics so I think you should go for it.
(I'm in college now and I'm starting to read popular science books now. I didn't know about them when I was in high school.)

Maths Absorber said:
Reading popular science and technical books are different. That being said, I don't think it should pose a big deterrent to you. You're just in high school and you already have a lot of enthusiasm in Physics so I think you should go for it.
(I'm in college now and I'm starting to read popular science books now. I didn't know about them when I was in high school.)

I liked astronomy since i was a child and i discovered the books last year so i got a bunch ... but i don't know what happened suddenly this year where everyone gave me different opinions and ideas about majors and life paths so i got lost a little. I think it is normal for any 17 years old to be a little lost and depressed, isn't it?

You're still young, you should try it. You can still change your major if doesn't work out.

Likes jamalkoiyess
I think you should try it out and then see. When I was in high school, I was very sure I was going to major in chemistry and then become a chemist. I read books and solved problems too. In college I took classes and tried research my first year. I was completely uninterested in the research, but grateful for the opportunity, and had no motivation to take any of the advanced classes.

Oddly enough I was highly motivated to take quantum mechanics... so the switch happened. I ended up majoring in physics. Also I enjoyed my research experiences in physics.

bluechic92 said:
I think you should try it out and then see. When I was in high school, I was very sure I was going to major in chemistry and then become a chemist. I read books and solved problems too. In college I took classes and tried research my first year. I was completely uninterested in the research, but grateful for the opportunity, and had no motivation to take any of the advanced classes.

Oddly enough I was highly motivated to take quantum mechanics... so the switch happened. I ended up majoring in physics. Also I enjoyed my research experiences in physics.

microMRI said:
You're still young, you should try it. You can still change your major if doesn't work out.

I have done some quizzes on the Internet that all put me into aerospace engineering ... should i trust those considering that they are from all over the internet ( some from universities ) and that aerospace engineering is one of the fields with a lot of physics .

Some are correct what you thought about Physics could be exactly different in college or the course you would want to pursue. Anyway, you are still young and to early to decide. If your choice does not work well with you then you could change it to other courses that you think you are most interested. Remember that more practical lessons are given in college than a theoretical one.

Likes jamalkoiyess
jamalkoiyess said:
I have done some quizzes on the Internet that all put me into aerospace engineering ... should i trust those considering that they are from all over the internet ( some from universities ) and that aerospace engineering is one of the fields with a lot of physics .

No, you should not rely on online quizzes to decide your major. An online quiz suggested I try chemical engineering when I took one 5ish years ago. Experience will tell you more. So take physics courses in college, talk to profs, look around labs and see if anything excites you there.

Likes jamalkoiyess
jamalkoiyess said:

I have done some quizzes on the internet and they put me into nursing. And nursing is a very nice and respectable profession, but would have been horrendous for me. So please take these "online quizzes" with a grain of salt. They are the least important piece of information you should take into account when making your choice.

Likes jamalkoiyess
micromass said:
I have done some quizzes on the internet and they put me into nursing. And nursing is a very nice and respectable profession, but would have been horrendous for me. So please take these "online quizzes" with a grain of salt. They are the least important piece of information you should take into account when making your choice.

Most of them are not that good but i did the Myers Briggs Test , it is a bit more known and is based on psychological theories.

micromass said:
They are the least important piece of information you should take into account when making your choice.

So what information is correct? I have to give my admission this month and i am buzzed with multiple ideas because i really like both so much ... thank you for any help

Feynman lectures can be browsed and read online.

Likes jamalkoiyess
Popular science books are meant to inspire and inform. At your age, I didn't know much about popular science at all. I think it's great that you're reading. Keep reading even after you get into college, and more importantly, after you leave college. Read abundantly.
I discovered this interesting podcast called Star Talk. You should listen to it. It's about astronomy. Also books by Neil Tyson and Steven Weinberg's - "The First Three Minutes" would be works that you'd enjoy. Don't be limited by the syllabus of your course in your hunger for knowledge. Keep learning more about what you like instead of waiting for a particular course in a later semester. Don't be limited by grades in your ambition. Don't get discouraged if you get a low grade, and don't be too happy if you get a high grade either. Alphabets on a piece of paper shouldn't be your focus. Your focus should be to learn as much

Likes jamalkoiyess

FAQ: Can I Thrive in Physics? Advice for Choosing a Major

1. Can I still succeed in physics if I struggled with it in high school?

Yes, absolutely! Many students struggle with physics in high school, but that doesn't mean you can't thrive in the subject. College physics courses are often taught at a slower pace and with more resources available, so don't let your past struggles discourage you from pursuing a physics major.

2. Is it necessary to have a strong math background to excel in physics?

While a strong math background can certainly be helpful, it is not necessarily a requirement for success in physics. Many universities offer remedial math courses for students who may need extra help in this area. Additionally, there are many resources available for students to improve their math skills, such as tutoring, study groups, and online resources.

3. Will I be able to find a job with a physics degree?

Yes, there are many career opportunities for those with a physics degree. Physics majors are highly valued in a variety of industries, including technology, engineering, finance, and research. Additionally, a physics degree provides strong problem-solving and critical thinking skills that are highly sought after by employers.

4. What can I do to prepare for a physics major before starting college?

One of the best ways to prepare for a physics major is to take advanced math and science courses in high school. This will give you a strong foundation in the basic concepts and principles of physics. You can also read books or watch videos about physics to familiarize yourself with the subject and its applications in the real world.

5. How can I know if a physics major is the right choice for me?

The best way to know if a physics major is right for you is to take a variety of physics courses and see how you enjoy them. You can also talk to physics professors, current physics students, and professionals in the field to get a better understanding of what a career in physics entails. Additionally, consider your interests and strengths – if you enjoy problem-solving, critical thinking, and exploring the laws of the universe, a physics major may be a great fit for you.