Can I Use My Computer Name Instead of (localdb) in My Database Server?

• Thread starter Medicol
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computer
In summary, the conversation discusses the computer name, domain, database instance, and database server being used. The speaker does not want to use the string "(localdb)" and asks if they can use their computer name instead. They are using Windows and MS SQL Server 2012 Express version. The other person suggests using "localhost" in connection strings to connect to a local database server.
Medicol
My computer name is "Computer" and my domain is MyDomain.com
My account to sign in is MyDomain\MyAccount.
My database instance is "(localdb)\MyInstance" - this is also my database server.
I don't want to use string "(localdb)", can I use my computer name for it such that my database server becomes
"Computer\MyInstance", for example ?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Windows and MS SQL Server 2012 Express version

If you are referring to the hostname in connection strings, then you can use "localhost" [1] there instead of your full computer or domain name if you want to connect to a local database server.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Localhost

Yes, it is possible to use your computer name instead of (localdb) in your database server. In this case, your database server would be "Computer\MyInstance". However, there are a few considerations to keep in mind before making this change.

Firstly, using your computer name in place of (localdb) may cause issues if you ever need to move your database to a different server. The (localdb) string is a placeholder that allows your database to be easily moved to a different server without having to change the connection string. If you use your computer name, you will need to update the connection string every time you move your database.

Additionally, using your computer name may also cause issues if you have multiple instances of (localdb) on your computer. In this case, it would be difficult to differentiate between the different instances without using the (localdb) string.

It is also important to consider security implications when using your computer name in the connection string. If your computer is accessible to others on the network, using your computer name may make it easier for unauthorized users to access your database.

In summary, while it is possible to use your computer name instead of (localdb) in your database server, it is important to carefully consider the potential implications before making this change.

FAQ: Can I Use My Computer Name Instead of (localdb) in My Database Server?

1. What is Localdb and how does it work?

Localdb is a lightweight version of the popular Microsoft SQL Server database management system. It is designed to be used for development and testing purposes, and is installed as a feature of the Visual Studio development environment. Localdb works by creating a local, on-demand instance of SQL Server that is only accessible to the user who created it. This allows developers to work with databases without the need for a dedicated server.

2. How is Localdb different from other database management systems?

One of the main differences between Localdb and other database management systems is that it is a single-user database, meaning it is only accessible to the user who created it. This makes it ideal for development and testing purposes, but not suitable for large-scale production use. Additionally, Localdb does not require a separate installation or configuration process, as it is automatically installed with Visual Studio.

3. Can Localdb be used with any computer name?

Yes, Localdb can be used with any computer name. However, it is important to note that the computer name used must be a valid name for the local machine. This means that it cannot contain special characters or be longer than 15 characters. If the computer name does not meet these requirements, Localdb may not function properly.

4. How can I connect to Localdb using a computer name?

To connect to Localdb using a computer name, you will need to use the connection string "Data Source=(localdb)\[computer name];Initial Catalog=[database name];Integrated Security=True;". This will allow you to connect to the specific instance of Localdb on your local machine. Keep in mind that the computer name must be a valid name for your machine.

5. Can Localdb be used with remote computer names?

No, Localdb is designed to be used with local computer names only. This means that it cannot be used with remote computer names or accessed from other machines. If you need to work with a database on a remote machine, you may want to consider using a different database management system that allows for remote connections.